Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

The vintage Daytona thread.

trailboss99

There are a lot of folk planning on buying a DW case set and building a vintage 'tona around at the moment so I thought it was time for a thread to work out exactly what dials, braclets, hands etc go with what case.

Please list your sources for vintage 'tona stuff here as well. There are more sources out there than David.

I think I'm going for this:

daytona2.jpg

Pic: HikeUSA

Col.

KinCaidk

That's a beaut, Col!

'scuse me for being a vintage 'tona ignorant - but what's the diameter on these puppies?

trailboss99

Ahh, 38mm I think?

I'm allready looking at Otto's gen pushers, crown tube and a gen crown. :rofl:

I am planing on geting this with the converted 7750 auto (well, to save the spares I'll get the normal one and remove the

winding module when I service it) so it fits in with the propper case back on. It's only a mm but I don't want counter

weight noises coming from my 6263 anyway.

Col.

greg_r

Seriously, seriously pretty watch... Not that crazy about the modern 'tona but the vintage models are something special...

Silverspeed

Not knowing anything about vintage watches, but the Vintage Daytona is actually the only vintage that I like.

How good is this Vintage 'Tona that Angus offers.....?

RLX-6263-04.JPG

hk45ca

it has symmetrical pushers. the case is wrong. the gen has asymmetrical pushers. dw is the only source for this i am aware of.

greg_r
it has symmetrical pushers. the case is wrong. the gen has asymmetrical pushers. dw is the only source for this i am aware of.

RolexAddict did a mod to his 'tona which resulted in asymmetrical pushers. Rather clever....

http://www.replica-watch-guide.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1316

PCSAM

i got an email today from David and my watch is on its way to me >>>>>>>>>>>.

he is sending it DHL????? so im not sure how long its going to be before i get it (customs)

but im sure looking forward to it ...........i will post pics here when it arrives ...........

in the meantime here are some pics of my pre-daytona

predatona7.jpg

predatona4.jpg

predatona11.jpg

predatona5.jpg

trailboss99

And Jewelery & Watch. Phong has beautyfull cases and dials available, just take a suitcase of money.

Col.

MrZoSo

I have a cheapie Seagull ST-19 Manual wind...I wouldn't trade it for any other version.

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

hk45ca
i got an email today from David and my watch is on its way to me >>>>>>>>>>>.

he is sending it DHL????? so im not sure how long its going to be before i get it (customs)

but im sure looking forward to it ...........i will post pics here when it arrives ...........

in the meantime here are some pics of my pre-daytona

predatona7.jpg

predatona4.jpg

predatona11.jpg

predatona5.jpg

give us details!!!!! good bracelet clasp markings, hand wind 7750 with correct thin case back, price, shipping?

KBH

Couple of quick pix of mine. One with each bezel style:

DSCN3157.jpg

DSCN3159.jpg

Allegedly this one came with gen pushers, crown, and crystal. Currently the gen crown is in my drawer cause it needed a new tube which I now have, and the crystal is also switched out cause I wanted the domed one rather than flat so I put on a Clarke's crystal. After studying the pushers I do believe they are definitely gen.

Also confirmed by Speedy that the movement is Swiss Eta 7750 converted to 7760 that he has fully serviced.

dingle

nice KBH. the SS bezel looks best to me.

hk45ca

i like it both ways, i still don't know which one i want but i want that dial in black or white. is it still correct with either bezel, screw down pushers and regular bracelet?

hk45ca

it appears there are some questions about the mayer dial. some say they are genuine and some say they are fake but i am going to send dw a picture and ask for a price on a hand wind ss bezel version.... we will see what he says.

http://doubleredseadweller.com/mayerdial.html

P_Diddy

what is a mayer dial?

it appears there are some questions about the mayer dial. some say they are genuine and some say they are fake but i am going to send dw a picture and ask for a price on a hand wind ss bezel version.... we will see what he says.

http://doubleredseadweller.com/mayerdial.html

hk45ca

the black dial with white sub dials and red tic marks. look at the link i supplied, the pictures and story is there. it's the same one that kbh posted.

PCSAM

just got a mail from David the watch he sent me by DHL just got confiscated at outbound customs ????????????

he is going to do another for me and ship EMS ..................... HE has just sent me the pics of the watch ill be receiving ......... hand wind 14mm case

he is a good man and honest .................

dsc00838b.jpg

dsc00846q.jpg

KBH
the black dial with white sub dials and red tic marks. look at the link i supplied, the pictures and story is there. it's the same one that kbh posted.

Interesting story there. If it wasn't a gen dial I really don't think it would have gone for $160,000 dollars at auction.

On the other hand, it makes me like it less knowing it's that rare and valuable. I figured it was just an old average Daytona from the 70's. I try to wear watches that are legitimate for my age and bank account.

P_Diddy

Is the Oyster bracelet adjustable by screws like on modern Oyster bracelets?

if it is not screws how do you adjust the rivets on the vintage Oyster bracelet on these Daytonas?

Edited by P_Diddy

trailboss99

No PD, you need a special tool to bend the links. Without that it is next to impossible to ajust a rivited bracelet.

Which Rolex bracelets are correct on the 6263?

Does anyone have pics of the case and case back engraving on the gen?

I hope you guys are mentioning RWG1.1 (and linking to it) when you email these dealers.

I have sent an email off and am waiting on prices.

What mods can be done on this? Is the below list complete?

• Gen/aftermarket crown and tube.
  • Clarkes crystal
  • Otto Frei pushers.

Interesting story on the PN 'tonas by soneone who actualy talked to Paul on the subject: http://qualitytyme.net/pages/rolex_articles/pn_daytona.html

Col.

trailboss99

Hey, is there a white dial without the "lollypop" markers?

I want white but I realy don't like those markers much.

Col.