Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

The vintage Daytona thread.

KBH
No PD, you need a special tool to bend the links. Without that it is next to impossible to ajust a rivited bracelet.

Which Rolex bracelets are correct on the 6263?

Does anyone have pics of the case and case back engraving on the gen?

I hope you guys are mentioning RWG1.1 (and linking to it) when you email these dealers.

I have sent an email off and am waiting on prices.

What mods can be done on this? Is the below list complete?

• Gen/aftermarket crown and tube.
  • Clarkes crystal
  • Otto Frei pushers.

Col.

Here's what I found for the bracelets and end link that were supplied with this at various times.

Bracelets: 7205, 7835, 78350

End links: 71, 71H, 371, 571

Also, at least one of the crystals is the Rolex T21. Not sure at the moment if that's the flat or round one.

PCSAM

well the one on the pic he sent and i posted on here are 78350

End links: 571

i got my ems tracking for it today .so its on its way................. ill do a few pics when i get it ..........

hk45ca
well the one on the pic he sent and i posted on here are 78350

End links: 571

i got my ems tracking for it today .so its on its way................. ill do a few pics when i get it ..........

i am basically going to order what you did but maybe with a black dial. how much was yours?

trailboss99

You will want to add the engraving too hk.

Dials? Anyone?

Col.

hk45ca

Dials? Anyone?

Col.

what engraving? happy birthday? i have decided i want the black mayer dial with black bezel insert and ss bracelet.

trailboss99

Dials? Anyone?

Col.

what engraving? happy birthday? i have decided i want the black mayer dial with black bezel insert and ss bracelet.

Serials and the stuff on the inside of the caseback.

Col.

hk45ca

i honestly don't know how it comes, i haven't seen a shot of the inside of the case back. really it would be irrelevant because of the movement and it not being visible anyway.

as far as the markings on the bracelet and end links i look at it like this, obviously a black mayer dial that is 100% correct has sold for 160,000.00. normally you wouldn't see somebody wearing that around everyday. it is a very old watch and if it has had a great deal of use parts would have been replace along the way. if they have been replace with what was available it would no longer be valued at that kind of price and would be more likely to be worn. it's value would be much much less. all of these old daytonas i have seen on trf have been in need of a bracelet so incorrect numbers would be very likely.

KBH

Dials? Anyone?

Col.

Serials and the stuff on the inside of the caseback.

Col.

Here's what mine looks like, just for reference. Anybody know the the CRS at the bottom stands for.

DSCN3915.jpg

RolexAddict

C.R.S is the ident of the Swiss factory who has made Pre-Daytona and Daytona cases and case backs for the Rolex company from 1963 to 1978, like the Singer company who has made dials

Edited by RolexAddict

trailboss99

Any more comment on these cases RA?

What remians to be done to make these as close to the gen as possible?

How good are his dials?

Col.

RolexAddict

I have ordered from David a case and a PN dial, its on the way,

when arrived I will give tech comments and confirm if this stuff is the same like the one sold by Spinmaster (reproduction of the original case/case back markings, assymetrical pushers etc.). If you order you have to send him a message asking for a Rolex printed dial, as the method to sell legaly on Ebay consists to show and officially sell a "PN sport watch style"... or a no-name - sterile dial. Very clever.

I also ordered the famous Daytona book from Stefano Mazzariol "Rolex Daytona from birth to the myth." I will get it in a few days. This book is THE reference for tech. datas

As for today, I have sold the first Daytona vintage I modified the reset pusher as it was a test and I was not completely convicted. I have right now 3 Daytona vintage bought from Josh I had TIG welding job on and re-drilled the reset pusher hole. Not difficult, I have the equipment and tools, but takes time to re-polish the case and re-install tube and pushers. I will post pics, now they have perfect assymetrical pushers

trailboss99

Thanks mate.

There are at least a dozen people waiting to see what you think of the DW case.

I have been speaking to him a fair bit of late and he has registered here.

Hope you also asked him for the engraving, it's also an extra. The ebay cases come with no markings.

Col.

RolexAddict

Just a precision :

I got today THE REFERENCE Daytona book from Italy, " Rolex Daytona, a legend is born" from Guido Mondadi Editions, this book is incredible, (and expensive...)

I confirm CRS is a Swiss mechanical company owned by Charles René Spielman. This company had a contract to built the Daytona cases for the Rolex company till 1978.

Noddy

I've been in discussion with DW over exactly what I am going to order for my 6263 or 6240. When he does the case engraving between the lugs does it look correct? He says he'll do my choice of serial number so that's a nice touch.

KBH

The engraving looks fine. Very close to the same as on my gen DJ cases.

Noddy

Thanks mate. Now it's just a matter of waiting for David to get the right dial in stock. (and paying for it!) :ahw:

Noddy

Woah! Just heard how much the engraving costs! :ahw: So much for that idea! I used to do engraving on a pantograph machine - wish I still had access to one.

Fiddo
Thanks mate.

There are at least a dozen people waiting to see what you think of the DW case.

I have been speaking to him a fair bit of late and he has registered here.

Hope you also asked him for the engraving, it's also an extra. The ebay cases come with no markings.

Col.

Possibly naive question---Is there contact information for DW other than the ebay info? I have been looking for a decent 6263 for some time. I figure now is the time to actually go for it. :ahw:

Noddy
Possibly naive question---Is there contact information for DW other than the ebay info? I have been looking for a decent 6263 for some time. I figure now is the time to actually go for it. :ahw:

Contact him through ebay - he'll give you his email if you ask for it. He's also on ioffer.