Hello from John

Which is better for 1st time strap  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Best looking for 1st time buy?

• OEM brown/tan leather
    • Asso brown leather

JohnP007

Hi guys,

My name is John, i live in the US, and I've been following your forum for a few months and I've been very interested in a Pam 111 v3. I have a love for watches and I actually have a Rolex GTM II ceramic that I love and wear every day before that I had a SS Rolex datejust with a Rhodium Dial withRoman numerals but traded it in (should have kept it!) when Rolex changed their sizes and the datejust 1 was now a ladies size so I upgraded to the GMT II.

After I had gotten the GMT I've had a huge Fascination with Panerai. I just love the big dial and the clean face and being Italian didn't hurt ether! I did a lot of research and from what I read the price really didn't justify what the watch was (what actually does anymore) especially the movement. So I casually looked around for pre certified ones and then I got engaged so kind of put the whole Panerai obsession on the back burner. Well on my honeymoon last week we are walking around and then BAM I walk right smack into a Panerai dealership WTF! My wife knew she was in trouble instantly! I try on a bunch and feel hard for the PAM 111 but I really wanted it with a deployment clasp so dealer was about to throw it in till I see wife's face with the look of Pam or Me! So with a tear in my eye I put Pam down and sulking I walk out. Well every day from the resort Internet cafe I start searching & searching and find your site again and I join and now I'm hooked!!!

So I am now pretty sure I'm going to go with Torra (he is a little higher than the other 2 I've been talking to but he has had very good communication) but here is my dellema: Asso strap or the OEM look brown leather?? I NEED YOUR HELP! What is the better looking most realistic one??? Also I was going to get the rubber strap with deployment? Worth it?

I'm sure I will be going to you guys for straps to get but for my first buy I'm looking for the #1 forums help ;)!

Thanks & can't wait to chat with u guys!

John

gtwc

Hello and welcome from across the pond.

Nice 1st choice of watch - Toro is an excellent dealer - and personally I'd go with the Asso.

It's always a pleasure when someone introduces themselves properly instead of jumping

in with 'where can I get ????? at the cheapest price?'

Thanks, fill yer boots and enjoy yourself !

:giggle:

seclark007

John,

Welcome to the site and I'm glad that you've found us. You may well get differing opinions that will help you decide, but at the end of the day it's really what you want to see on your wrist. Both options in your poll will work well for you, I think, but I know nothing of your taste or style....

Once you get bitten by the PAM bug, 'yer screwed...'cuz you can't have just one. I have 3 as it stands, and have 2 more that I want down the road. Perhaps the best advice then is get both...you'll end up having both down the road anyway :D

Good Luck with your new collection.....

greg_r

Welcome. There's always a third choice and that's to pick up a gen Panerai strap. One or two of the guys here have gone that way - they're a lot more comfortable than the rep calf strap (although the rep asso is actually pretty good).

Note that the asso is too thick to fit a deployant clasp, though.

(N.B. Two duplicate threads removed - dunno what happened there... )

Corv99

Pam straps are a whole new world of pain my friend and expense!!

Welcome

for sake of Poll i have gone with the ASSO , just got one myself

JohnP007

Well next will be a leather with deployment that's for sure! Torro does have a croc one but from the picture I saw wasn't sure & thought maybe the Asso or OEM look would look more realistic and figured it would be better to ask people who own them what they think. I've always had SS bands and have never had a leather strap so along with my 1st rep. this would also be my first leather :) so guess I'm a noob x 2!

Glad to be here guys!!! Please keep coming with your votes because I wanna order ASAP because u guys are making me Jealous! Not to mention u guys ruined my honeymoon because I was with your site more than with my beautiful new wife! Lol

JohnP007

Also can someone help with something else? I noticed he had another option for a different movement? Is it worth it or should I stick with what comes with it? What is plus & minus of upgrading the movement?

scorpion

G'day Mate, Huan Ying, Velkommen, Welkom, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, Dzieñ Dobry, Dobrodošao, Vítejte, Bonvenon, Tervetuloa, Accueil, Fogadtatás, Velkomin, Selamat Datang, Powitanie, Bem-vindo, Välkommen and Welcome.

My advice is to leave here right now, dont look back just go away and forget you ever found this site.................

Or get your wallet ready for a serious spending spree!!!!!!

seclark007

when you're just starting out, John, ya wanna have everything.... one line of advice is to stick to the less expensive option to see if the piece is going to work for you...then you can flip it and buy something more expensive.

Do a search of the site here, and read some more...there are plenty of threads that have already been done to death dealing with this particular question

YoungGPS
animierte-gifs-image_welcome_spinning.gif

Balad1

Welcome John, glad to have you join in.

:)

J.Eric

Hello and Welcome, John!!

I would suggest both and a screwdriver to change them.

I have three Pams and four extra straps and regularly change

up the straps depending on what I am or where I am going.

My Pams...

CIMG0814.jpg

My Straps...

CIMG0405.jpg

JohnP007

Ok pulled the trigger!! Ordered tonight! Pam111N v3 with both asso strap & rubber strap with deployment! I am thinking of having Toro waterproof it for extra $50 he said I really didn't need it but I'm thinking just in case I ever want to swim in it (probably won't) I will feel safer to do so. What is your guys feelings on that?

Also if you guys want to start giving me names of best dealers for straps I might as well start looking! I am pretty sure I want cool straps with deployment straps but think I've read the wider straps are all tang buckles?

JohnP007

I missed the boat on the water proofing :( but I'm getting very excited for my arrival. My poor gen gmt ii is going to be so jelious :) I'm wondering if I should now look into a small watch winder for the Rollie now? Any suggestions for a nice 1 that won't break the bank?

Also I've been searching but who makes a great looking rep of the OEM honey/brown strap with buckle? I ended up with the asso strap but think I wanna get that 1 too saw a nice looking strap from crown & buckle the silas that looked close, I think, what's also the best size to get? I know it's all on the person, I'm thinking I want chunky so would it be 24/24?

Luthier

A poll about fucking strap???

:picard:

Cyril_Clunge

For once Luthier and I are of one mind :D

Luthier

Twice already, CC.

:P

onionbag

Hello and welcome. :)

The asso strap is quite nice..............although you will need to buy a pair of desert boots to compliment it.................like I did. ;)

canakris

welcome! Asso ftw

Norwegian123

Hi, my name is Tom and I have also recently joined. I have also decided to go for a Pam 111N V3, and have like you spent a lot of time trying to figure out what strap option to choose. I have found a lot of pictures posted from members so look like the no. of options are endless, and the only limit is your own wallet. However, as a starting point I think I will go for a Rep Asso, and wounder if anyone have a picture of how this looks straight out the box after arrival ?

greg_r

Not a 111, but here's the rep asso on my 390. It's a good strap...

390-asso-130412.jpeg

Norwegian123

Thanks, great photo.

Helped me make up my mind to go ahead with the order for a Pam 111N V3 with a Rep Asso.