Sign in to follow this  
Bob Reed

The "21j" Movement dilemma

Bob Reed

So you ask the question on the forum,"What movement does it have" and 9 times out of 10 the answer is "Oh it is a 21j movement." Well that is pretty good guess as there seem to be many 21j movements out there. I have several here and none of them are the same. I have spent the better part of 2 days looking for repair information on them and there is very little to be found. Now I am talking about the Chinese knock offs. They are copies but of what? If anyone has any information you would like to share on these 21j movements I am all ears!!

fatarms

Actually, the entire 21J movement is relatively inexpensive, so if something really goes wrong with it, you may be better off just changing the whole movement out rather than try to repair it. By the time you factor the parts and labor into it, you may be near the price of a replacement movement plus labor to install it.

Bob Reed

Actually, the entire 21J movement is relatively inexpensive, so if something really goes wrong with it, you may be better off just changing the whole movement out rather than try to repair it. By the time you factor the parts and labor into it, you may be near the price of a replacement movement plus labor to install it.

This may be true but, how do you know which one to get? I am still trying to learn. Simple things like the keyless works and so forth. Simple repairs. I am close but a couple of good pics would work wonders of the movements partially disassembled. There has to be something out there someplace.....

stolikat

The 21j is a copy of the Miyota 8205/8215 movements. While it is a cheapo movement if you don't get a bad one they are usually very reliable. Getting one repaired however as fatarms says above is just not worth it. Just replace and move on. They only thing worth doing is oiling the rotor bearings.

Dendo

The 21j is a copy of the Miyota 8205/8215 movements. While it is a cheapo movement if you don't get a bad one they are usually very reliable. Getting one repaired however as fatarms says above is just not worth it. Just replace and move on. They only thing worth doing is oiling the rotor bearings.

+1

Absolutely spot on.

Bob Reed

Although what you guys say may be true, how do you know which one to get. I have 6 here and 3 of them have a different hand size. So you buy the wrong one and it still will not work. There has to be a way to ID the one you have?

Bob Reed

Thank you stolikat, I have seen that one but looks nothing like any of the ones I have here. But it is a start!