Sign in to follow this  
shynetheboss

Hello y'all, from Ontario, Canada!

shynetheboss

Hey RWG members,

I should give a proper introduction of myself before anything else. I am a 22 year old university student, studying Mathematics and Finance. I have always enjoyed watches from a young age (I used to have some plastic mickey mouse & friends watches that had a hinged cover on the watch face, that revealed a simple 2 button quartz digital display...Ahhh, the nostalgia!). Recently, I worked a short period of time and was able to use some disposable income towards a few bids on Ebay (A winding Timex, winding HMT, a classy-but-cheap Omax) and 2 sterile Parnis Power reserves (i believe they are supposed to be homages to the IWC Portugese), and lastly an Swatch Irony Diaphene (wide range of colours, worth checking out!) I have recently begun dreaming bigger and seeing magnificent creations by some of the European watch makers, and I have become swooned by the hobby! Salutation to you all, my fellow hobbyists who truly understand the understated presence and pleasure that is a timepiece!

I have just begun browsing and reading the archives here, and my, what a wealth of knowledge and intrigue. I find it remarkable that some of our friendly Chinese manufacturers are able to work so closely to detail and reverse engineer these technologies. I am so happy that this forum and industry exists because in many people's reality, manufacturer suggested retail price is not an option! ;) Truthfully, I would be hard pressed to invest so much when the opportunity cost is so valuable in many other facets of life. I am glad that this community has gathered together to help each other indulge sensibly in a very classy interest!

In general horology, I am astounded and fascinated by how the science has evolved. From mechanical to automatic to quartz. From levers to co-axial. From flyback to perpetual. From wound alarm setting to minute-repeaters! The quartz revolution, followed by the rebuttal by collaborated swiss group Swatch. All within my father's life too! He used to own mechanicals; a Seiko and Sekonda. Now he prefers a blacked faced, gold bezel, black strapped quartz, because "it keep the time better, and is less hassle". Sadly, my grandparents have passed on and no hand me down treasures :(. I love how watch fashion had evolved from thin dome-glassed movements, to wide tall-cased complication-filled machines! To be honest, I have some quirky tastes myself. If I am successful in finding a coop placement this summer, I am really itching to indulge myself in a some of the peculiar designs of Alain SIlberstein. I am taken by the cheerful yet elegant hands, and the bulgy cases. Out of curiousity, if someone has taken the plunge, please do give me a heads up of a good model and/or dealer, and i would also love to see some pictures of your ones! Thanks in advance for any replies, advice and welcomes! Glad to be here!

Anush

adegox

Nice intro

Welcome mate!

salutations from British columbia!

dalboy

Another noob with a great introduction....way to go ma man..

Welcome to the forum and enjoy..

Give your wallet to the missus for safe keeping..!! it bites hard here mate

Dal...............

adegox
Another noob with a great introduction....way to go ma man..

Welcome to the forum and enjoy..

Give your wallet to the missus for safe keeping..!! it bites hard here mate

Dal...............

Lol hes right on that one

ruthless750

Another Ontario, Canada member.....looks like we have a little gang here

YoungGPS

animated_gif_3d_028.gif

and

animierte-gifs-image_welcome_spinning.gif

dmpmassive

Greetings from a fellow Canadian!

RichyRichRolex
HiHowAreYouGame_wiki.png

PetshaFey

Welcome!

shynetheboss

Hey thanks everyone! Haha, thanks for the advice dalboy, yes I am going to be very selective about the big first plunge! Holding out for that Alain Silberstein hopefully! What do you sport on your wrist? Also, my fellow Canadians, are there any stores locally within the GTA to have a look at some models? Any swap meets or such?

seclark007

Welcome, I would have thought from the "y'all" in your intro that you were studying out west, or at the very least Carlton :rofl:

I'm the unofficial greeter for all :canuck: folks here - and am in the GTA. There's a couple of places that are somewhat rep friendly, but I tend to use the folks on here exclusively. There's a watch dealer that works at Dixie Value Mall -one of those kiosk dudes - he deals reps out of the bottom drawers...but I've not bothered to ask him anything since being here.

Great intro...enjoy the place.

seclark007

gt rider

Welcome from Ottawa. If you're on a budget, start like and get a bunch of sub 100$ reps. You'll love them.

albert12

Welcome from Montreal,

seclark007

Ottawa born...grew up in the Glebe :D

Ncj

Welcome, from Toronto......

raevyn00

Welcome to the forum.

Drewzin

Hey RWG members,

I should give a proper introduction of myself before anything else. I am a 22 year old university student, studying Mathematics and Finance. I have always enjoyed watches from a young age (I used to have some plastic mickey mouse & friends watches that had a hinged cover on the watch face, that revealed a simple 2 button quartz digital display...Ahhh, the nostalgia!). Recently, I worked a short period of time and was able to use some disposable income towards a few bids on Ebay (A winding Timex, winding HMT, a classy-but-cheap Omax) and 2 sterile Parnis Power reserves (i believe they are supposed to be homages to the IWC Portugese), and lastly an Swatch Irony Diaphene (wide range of colours, worth checking out!) I have recently begun dreaming bigger and seeing magnificent creations by some of the European watch makers, and I have become swooned by the hobby! Salutation to you all, my fellow hobbyists who truly understand the understated presence and pleasure that is a timepiece!

I have just begun browsing and reading the archives here, and my, what a wealth of knowledge and intrigue. I find it remarkable that some of our friendly Chinese manufacturers are able to work so closely to detail and reverse engineer these technologies. I am so happy that this forum and industry exists because in many people's reality, manufacturer suggested retail price is not an option! ;) Truthfully, I would be hard pressed to invest so much when the opportunity cost is so valuable in many other facets of life. I am glad that this community has gathered together to help each other indulge sensibly in a very classy interest!

In general horology, I am astounded and fascinated by how the science has evolved. From mechanical to automatic to quartz. From levers to co-axial. From flyback to perpetual. From wound alarm setting to minute-repeaters! The quartz revolution, followed by the rebuttal by collaborated swiss group Swatch. All within my father's life too! He used to own mechanicals; a Seiko and Sekonda. Now he prefers a blacked faced, gold bezel, black strapped quartz, because "it keep the time better, and is less hassle". Sadly, my grandparents have passed on and no hand me down treasures :(. I love how watch fashion had evolved from thin dome-glassed movements, to wide tall-cased complication-filled machines! To be honest, I have some quirky tastes myself. If I am successful in finding a coop placement this summer, I am really itching to indulge myself in a some of the peculiar designs of Alain SIlberstein. I am taken by the cheerful yet elegant hands, and the bulgy cases. Out of curiousity, if someone has taken the plunge, please do give me a heads up of a good model and/or dealer, and i would also love to see some pictures of your ones! Thanks in advance for any replies, advice and welcomes! Glad to be here!

Anush

Hey man,

Welcome from Toronto. Happy spending buddy !!!

Cynikal.Mindset

Welcome from Guelph!

hnic

welcome

nice intro

read and learn

dmpmassive

Ottawa born...grew up in the Glebe :D

Ewwwww...... The Glebe... Shit, I should talk... I grew up in Barf-haven... :P

shynetheboss

Thanks everyone for the welcomes! Seclass007, thanks for the info, will definitely consult you on Canadian matters!

Also, speaking of 007, did everyone watch Skyfall? Awesome movie, even though I have always favoured Brosnan and Dalton as better Bonds!

Out of curiousity, what are some of the fancier complication y'all have acquired or seen? I know that most watches come with similar standard Asian movements. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Franck Muller Crazy Hours with jump functionality! I am extremely interested in any sort of minute repeater or alarm systems that I have seen on some of the ultra luxury watches. I have always adored the Seiko Bell-Matic automatic alarms, because of how the alarm is wound and stored mechanically!