Sign in to follow this  
edgematic

AP Diver Cyclops Lens Replacement Tutorial

edgematic

AP Diver Lens Replacement Tutorial

Here is a simple, step by step procedure to remove and install the new Colorless AR Date Cyclops Lenses that will be finished later this month.

1. Remove the caseback: there are 8 round screws that hold the caseback in place. These crews actually go through the entire mid-case and attach to the hexagonal screw heads seen from the bezel. This is a great sign because the AP Diver actually uses 1:1 case construction. I found this very impressive.

2. Remove the base metal 'cap' that encapsulated the movement. There are four small screw heads that need to be removed.

1.jpg

3. Remove the winding stem. To release the 'clutch', aka keyless works system that holds the stem in place; there is a small, familiar button that you will need to press with a screw driver or tweezers. Shown with the blue arrow.

2withArrow-1.jpg

4. Remove the movement by removing three screw heads and the steel wings that hold the retainer ring into the case.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5. I find it best to place the movement onto a movement holder (but this is optional). Once secured, you can remove the retainer ring and re-install the winding stem. Be sure to press the keyless works button while you install the stem.

6.jpg

7.jpg

6. The trickiest part! while removing the hands, I generally suggest setting the time to a time that will be easy to re-install the hands later. I typically use noon or 3 o'clock. Pull the winding stem out to the time setting position. This will put the watch into 'hacking' mode. Please use good hand removers that will not scratch the steel hands.

7. The dial is secured by dial feet which penetrate the movement plates and lock into place by two rotating 'wings'.

8.jpg

8. Once the locking wings are rotated outwards (unlocked position), the dial will slide off the movement. (pull upwards so you do not bend the dial feet).

9.jpg

10.jpg

9. The dial is primarily two layers with the cyclops lens 'sandwiched' in the middle. The lower level is also secured by the dial feet.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

10. The cyclops is held in place by just a simple sandwich fit (no adhesive). Once the dial plates are separated, the cyclops can easily be removed with tweezers.

14.jpg

15.jpg

11. Now that the ugly blue AR cyclops lens has been removed, you simply retrace these steps to install the new one. BigCrown will have an AP Diver with one of the colorless cyclopses installed very soon (next week). Then after our approval, the order will be shipped.

16.jpg

Edited by edgematic

sequoia

Thanks for the detailed pictures & instructions.

kolchak

great pics & totu...

if you don't mind a follow up question - How did you remove the crown @ 10?

I ask because mine fell out while rotating the inner bezel & it's now stuck half way around. crown screws in & out but no longer engages.

Could the inner bezel be rotated once movement is out or at any point in these steps?

TY!

edgematic

great pics & totu...

I ask because mine fell out while rotating the inner bezel & it's now stuck half way around. crown screws in & out but no longer engages.

Could the inner bezel be rotated once movement is out or at any point in these steps?

TY!

The bezel crown didn't need to be removed for this install. However, when you take out the movement you should be able to put the inner bezel in place. Will look it up how to remove the crown anyway.

jeffw69

Thank you very much Edge!

I am not sure that I will be brave enough to do it.

kolchak

great pics & totu...

TY!

The bezel crown didn't need to be removed for this install. However, when you take out the movement you should be able to put the inner bezel in place. Will look it up how to remove the crown anyway.

thanks Edge.

I've read there is a clip holding the 2nd crown in place to engage bezel.

I have trouble changing light bulbs so completing this mod would be equivalent to open heart surgery for me.

Cynikal.Mindset

how about credit to the original author of this tutorial BigCrown on RWI...don't just post stuff like you did it bro, thats in horrible taste!

hnic

wow

was about to say great work!!...

but nice copy paste

gB.

Great tutorial Edge BigCrown! :lol:

But I think I'll leave it to the pros to install when my colorless cyclops arrives. ;)

Another one oncoming Chris... :D

WebWind

Great tutorial and fantastic pics. Thanks for sharing.

tbuttery

Gotta get one of these for my new Diver!!

Abagnale

great, added to my list. thanks for sharing...

cheers

edgematic

how about credit to the original author of this tutorial BigCrown on RWI...don't just post stuff like you did it bro, thats in horrible taste!

I'm working directly together with BigCrown on this project. Send him a PM if necessary. In case you did not know, I'm at the start up of this project. Before accusing do your research.

Thanks.

This tutorial has been made by a watchmaker.

Serge D

Sweet, glad i foun this thread before doing it on my own. Just got my cyclops today.

gB.
Sweet, glad i foun this thread before doing it on my own. Just got my cyclops today.

Cool. Let us know how it goes if you do it yourself. Got mine as well, but will probably send it off for install when I have it relumed.

jeffw69

Yes, I got my cyclops the other day. Best left for a pro to do.

I would definitely fuck it up!

Serge D

Thanks Edgematic and BigCrown

Am i the first to have an updated cyclops? :D

vaha3yze.jpg

Relatively an easy job, 30-40 min.

Rogerthat

Serge congrats!

Any comments about the cyclops itself?

Pleased with the quality? AR clarity?

Edited by Rogerthat

jeffw69
Thanks Edgematic and BigCrown

Am i the first to have an updated cyclops? :D

vaha3yze.jpg

Relatively an easy job, 30-40 min.

:D. I'm sening you mine to do!

Serge D

quick video, im no Kenny yeahh.... sorry for the quality, my first macro video

pics to follow very soon.

Serge D

So happy to see the blue AR gone from my divers dial.

So for $30 bucks i upgraded to 3.5 :)

A few pics to judge

ezadeqyd.jpg

e4u5utun.jpg

ehequ2ys.jpg

4u6a7era.jpg

by7usa2a.jpg

uve9ezed.jpg

a2umu7uj.jpg

squashlovernk

So sweet! Cannot wait to get my cyclops and have them installed as well.

sent from my Samsung GN 2 using Tapatalk 2

decus

Nice1!