Sign in to follow this  
tbuttery

New Hublot Diver 4000m

tbuttery

Okay Guys!!

Received my new Hublot Diver yesterday from WI, and am going to do a small reveiw on it. All I can say is WOW! This thing is big, and a skull crusher! Despite all the reviews I read about it being a very large watch, this thing still looks great on my wrist. It is very thick though. The only, and I mean only, thing I grip about on this watch. On to my review.

Movement: The Hublot Diver has a modified A7750 movement in it to have a constant chrono. From my understanding this simply means instead of having the push buttons, it is now a continuously sweeping hand like any other movement. On comparing to my other A7750 Chrono Movements, I can say that is seems to have a smoother sweep. Maybe because it was assembled better, or maybe I'm just seeing things. The automatic winding of this watch also seems quieter than my other watches. I blame this on how thick the watch is. Might dampen the noise a bit. Upon opening the back, again I found a very clean movement. No hairs or greasy parts!

Dial: Not much to say about this part. While comparing to gen pictures it seems to be spot on. One of the reasons I bought this "superrep". Hands are very unique in my opinion. Simple date wheel, which is flush with the dial, and no cyclops. Oh and did I mention the lume!! This thing absolutely glows!! Even under a 10 sec exposure it has a pretty respectable glow to it! Haven't really tested how long it lasts, but the initial impressions are superb! Judge for yourself:

This is only 10 secs of light.

HublotDiver4000mLume.jpg

Case: Did I mention how big this thing is! 48mm but this thing wears much bigger in my opinion, but it still looks great on my wrist. It is a very unique looking case. It has a good looking guard over the bezel moving crown, which works great! The case back is also very good looking. Deep engraving that looks great! Now it is not titanium like some rep websites claim! Who knew ;). The gen is grade 2 titamium. Now being an engineer I know how expensive that shit is, and to claim its titanium is utter ridiculousness! Having said that, it still looks great and has a nice color to it.

Her are a few pics to illustrate what I am talking about.

HublotDiver4000mWrist_1.jpg

Very Thick!

HublotDiver4000mSideProfile.jpg

HublotDiver4000m_2.jpg

HublotDiver4000mBack.jpg

Strap: Last but not least! I think this is also a great strap! For you who may own the AP Diver V3, I can say it is of same quality and feel. Seems pretty heavy duty and robust, but time will tell with that! The buckle is also nice. Seems to be a very solid design. This watch has another unique feature. The "QDC" strap. The strap is able to disconnect from the case with a simple push of the button near the strap. Although this is very cool, it causes the strap to wiggle a little will it is secure. Once again I have never handles the gen, but this may also be the case with the gen. Don't get me wrong, the strap is very secure while snapped in.

HublotDiver4000mStrapless.jpg

Well that's all for now. Hope you all enjoyed! If you're thinking about getting the watch, do not hesitate! It is a beauty and is what some call a "super-rep" in my opinion!!

TB

machiavegli

Wow. I read all the reviews too and this is on my wish list. Is this the V3 that Mary sells for $325 +PP/ship, or the V2 that KeNnY prefers?

-Mach

tbuttery

This is the V2 with the modified A7750. It was 460ish but was well worth it. I love it. Thanks to Kenny for his comparison. That is why I decided to go with the V2 and haven't regretted it!

il_remo

Wow! That thing is HYOOOOOGE! I laughed at the skull crusher comment! It looks like it will turn into a big robot like a Transformer or something.

Congratulations, that looks like some serious wrist candy there. You might need a gel insert on your right foot to keep balance. :)

Rogerthat

If you get a chance a picture with your new ap diver next to this would be great to see for size perspective

tbuttery

"You might need a gel insert on your right foot to keep balance."

That's hilarious!! Might be my next watch related purchase! ;) It is actually quite comfortable. The buckle is a little sharp but that can always be fixed.

tbuttery

Ask and you shall receive!

image.jpg

il_remo

Wow, thats a great follow up. I do more dress watches however you bastards and your AP's are really making me think. Grats again! :)

Luthier

Better assembling definitely improve smoothness... Or...

I'm seein things...

:D

UmpaHimself

What a BEAST. Enjoy it.

solkryssare

If not titanium then what is it? Lots of Ti reps around.

YoungGPS

Nice review of sweet watch. Congrats!

machiavegli

First AP/Hub diver side by side pic I've seen. Good job getting V2. Thanks for that pic and review.

-Mach

Rogerthat

Thanks T

Great side by side photo

The Hublot is a beast!

Definitely looks to hold its own quality wise though and the lume looks killer

Nice pair of divers

tbuttery

Thanks all!! Just trying to get my 2 cents in about these amazing watches!

solkryssare: It doesn't look titanium to me. But after the holiday I'm taking into work because we have a PMI gun (positive material identification). This will be able to tell me exactly what metal it is!

This watch is definitely a fantastic watch! Like I said if you even thought about buying it, do it!

solkryssare

Cool. Keep us updated on the identification please :)

razorblade

This is indeed a beast. Not beauty and the beast but a beautiful beast. Congrats! Keep us posted about the metal!

tbuttery

Cool. Keep us updated on the identification please :)

This is indeed a beast. Not beauty and the beast but a beautiful beast. Congrats! Keep us posted about the metal!

Will do guys! I 100% positive it isn't grade 2 titanium. That is a very pricey metal. But what makes me wonder is it has that "dull" metal tint to it. Either it is a cheap form of titanium or SS with some kind of nickle added to give it that duller titanium look.

solkryssare

Bump :)

tbuttery

Okay so here we go! I used our old PMI Gun at work, still pretty darn reliable. And this is what I got:

5.9% Aluminum

3.9% Vanadium

0.26% Iron

73-75% Titanium!

Now, there were various other random readings that the gun got, as you would imagine because the percentages does not add up to 100%. Some things like Nickle and a little bit of Copper. So this is definitely not Grade 2 as some sites state with their 1:1 case construction. The Gun received absolutely no Palladium which is a key ingredient to the much stronger grades of titanium. (very expensive) Either the gun was reading incorrectly on the random elements or over in china they aren't that good at making titanium! These stray metals will make the titanium less strong, but we aren't diving to 4000m now are we??

I did match the above listed elements with Grade 5 Titanium, which is the most commonly used grade of titanium. Used anywhere from blades, disks, CASES, to forgings.

Also Oxygen is added to titanium at different amounts. The less the better (more pure). This gun couldn't measure that but I think we have one that can get about anything. Might not get that for awhile though.

Anyway, the verdict is....that is seems to be Grade 5! Measured the caseback and bezel. Didn't get the buckle.

tbuttery

Also I forgot to mention. This titanium could very well be clad-titanium onto stainless steel. This means just the outer layer is titanium and not the entire hunk of metal is. Simply a much cheaper way to do things. But there is no way I can tell if it is or not.

tbuttery

Ask and you shall receive!

image.jpg

New Picture of Side By Side since this one shit itself

image.jpg

cognag05

is this beast waterproofed out of the box? loving it !

tbuttery

I have no way to test that. I really don't feel comfortable just sticking it under water to see if that is true. Kenny may be a good person to ask about that. If I recall correctly his review said it passed to 5 BAR maybe. Don't quote me on this!

cognag05

thanks and will ask kenny, and awesome watch you got there !