Sign in to follow this  
Massimo

Bags of fun with a $100 Sub

Massimo

I was initially disappointed with the vintage Sub I got for $92 delivered back in August, yet now it's my favourite rep.

Here's the stock photo, I didn't have the foresight to take my own "before" pic.

400RLX_35_Submariner_1_LRG.jpg

The disappointment was just that cyclops wasn't great, perhaps not working well on the domed plexi-crystal, but I filed that off, causing a bit of damage in the process, and thus began the fun.

Since then I've had a load of fun distressing it progressively using some of the tips from other threads. I then decided I'd gone a bit too far so I restored it again using more tips from the forum, such as the scotchbrite pad method for tidying the bracelet. The Rock 'n' Roll treatment made it really smooth somewhere along the way too.

And then I've gone back and messed it up some more; all good fun. Here's a shot from somewhere along the way:

IMG_0756.jpg

I'd tried various abuses and eventually I decided the bezel insert was too far gone, so I got a replacement from Cousins UK and followed the excellent sticky tutorial from PatronSaintofChainsaws about bleaching.

Here's the new one, with the old, and the un-bleached SSD alongside for comparison:

IMG_0807.jpg

It's fitted now, although it hasn't seated that well, perhaps a bad choice to use contact adhesive which is a bit gloopy. It's quite a subtle fade, but the shine is all gone and there is a bit of fade. I'm far too happy with it for it to make any kind of sense, the simplest mods you could probably do, but I've had a blast doing it, and I'm delighted with the results.

VintageSub06.jpg

VintageSub07.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

greg_r

hehe - looks nicely beaten up. Seems like you had fun ;)

dingle
hehe - looks nicely beaten up. Seems like you had fun ;)

+1

an easy mod no noubt. :)

Massimo
hehe - looks nicely beaten up. Seems like you had fun :popcorn:

+1

an easy mod no noubt. :D

Very easy, yes. You have to beat it up quite a bit for it to notice though, those macro shots really emphasise the marks.

KBH
hehe - looks nicely beaten up. Seems like you had fun :popcorn:

+1

an easy mod no noubt. :D

Very easy, yes. You have to beat it up quite a bit for it to notice though, those macro shots really emphasise the marks.

Looks good. I've been enjoying my vintage SD quite a bit too. Definitely needed some vintaging though.

Member X

Nice work :)