Sign in to follow this  
BaggyPants

Advice On Re-Casing A Watch?

BaggyPants

I have a watch which was bought on our honeymoon. It's a quartz Landrover with alarm. I wore it for years, until the back became very ugly and the second strap failed. It spent as much time under a Landrover bonnet as I did, so it got well used. My question is, is it possible for me to purchase a new casing for it from somewhere, and to fit new crowns? Not the same, obviously, but are there standard sizes?

LRWatch-1.jpg

LRWatch-2.jpg

LRWatch-3.jpg

LRWatch-4.jpg

Sizes are as follows:

Crystal - 28mm

Case - 36mm

Back opening - 28mm

Case thickness - 8mm, without crystal and back

I realise this is a rep forum, but the knowledge here is astonishing, so any help would be most gratefully received.

Thank you,

Baggy

Luthier

I don't think you can find the new case for this watch. Send it to 10:10 watch repair for full restoration, and live happily.

Cyril_Clunge

I am about as far from being an expert as it gets round here but i reckon you're going to struggle to find something. Whatever case you use you'll need a movement holder made and that's only if you find a case that will accept 2 crowns in that position. Short of a lot of custom work I don't think you'll be able to do it.

BaggyPants

Right, this is why I ask you guys :) Maybe I could get the case repolished and chromed?

Dr Yan

It's called patina mate. There are guys in RG would buy it off ya for thousands :rofl:

BaggyPants

No, in this case it's called chrome worn off the brass body :) Think I may just give it a clean, bung a new battery in it, and start wearing it again. Thanks for the input :D