Sign in to follow this  
projectologist

PAM 390... to me the best PAM rep of 2012...

projectologist

Please don't turn this thread into a pissing contest about which rep is the best to come out this year. For many reasons the 390 to my OCD eyes is the overall winner, but several other PAMs could be the winner depending on my mood any given morning... LOL

iPhone 4 and a combination of Camera+ and Snapseed apps...

Asso390a.jpg

390lll.jpg

390ld01.jpg

390aaa.jpg

390rrr.jpg

390qqq.jpg

390ss01_zps0b2dea74.jpg

390dial001.jpg

midasmook

One of my favourites as well

emmune

I love this watch a lot and its on my to get list but they need to upgrade that CG!

Edited by emmune

projectologist
I love this watch a lot and its on my to get list but they need to upgrade that CG!

Cg is salvageable. 1st 2 pics is HF cg modified.

Focal

I really want this watch, but i am afraid i cant live with the cg. My other Pam is a 111v3.

Luthier

Just one of these faceless PAMs.

Dendo

So help us.

This looks like a typical PAM. But no second hand. Typical CG. Typical hands and numerical font. Non-sandwich => sausage dial. Typical monobloc and strap lugs. Fairly standard nice strap and crystal.

So what makes this so perfect? This is not sarcasm or lack of esthetic appreciation - I am just wanting to understand the mind set better.

What I do like:

the simplicity.

houndoggie

I don't like the vintage lume thing. It has a pink tinge to it IRL.

projectologist
So help us.

This looks like a typical PAM. But no second hand. Typical CG. Typical hands and numerical font. Non-sandwich => sausage dial. Typical monobloc and strap lugs. Fairly standard nice strap and crystal.

So what makes this so perfect? This is not sarcasm or lack of esthetic appreciation - I am just wanting to understand the mind set better.

What I do like:

the simplicity.

I mean best replication. They nailed the slight hint of rose-gold vs yellow gold hands. The dial color is spot-on too as well as the correct texture. Bevel at the edge of the xtal is as good as it gets (Noob still hasn't gotten it right). And as you can see in my first 2 pics the cg is great with a little tweaking or as I did in the rest of the pics, use the Noob's the cg (which just needs the cg/lever pin lowered slightly.

The Noob 243 is in the same league as well as the 29.

Luthier

How many PAMs do you have in your posession?

projectologist

How many PAMs do you have in your posession?

Gens... too many. Reps I tend to sell/trade/lend not long after I mod them, its my passion to tweak them to the limit which fortunately is getting easier to do without a lot of gen parts.

I've been collecting both gen and rep Panerai since 2001. Also have built several frankens starting with this group of gen case sets I scored on eBay 4 years ago...

PaneraicasingsFront.jpg

Edited by projectologist

boy_lah

Hi, what mod do you do to stock H fac CG? Also, if you are selling your 390 pls let me have first go ; )

gtwc

Nice watch.

Good topic.

Awesome pics !!!!

The last macro shot is just stunning.

kolchak

sweet jesus.....was a dealer selling 11 gen cases?

gold stitch in strap sets off dial perfectly. is that a dark brown rep asso?

here's hoping you do a few more threads!

johnlee

where did u get your gen assoc strap? nice!

persilh

I don't like the vintage lume thing. It has a pink tinge to it IRL.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pink tinge :D

projectologist

Hi, what mod do you do to stock H fac CG? Also, if you are selling your 390 pls let me have first go ; )

Squared the inside corners of the cg body, flattened and lowered the cg lever pin slightly, then polished the outer curved edges of the cg body. And shortened the lever tip a little bit.

Nice watch.

Good topic.

Awesome pics !!!!

The last macro shot is just stunning.

Thanks... seems pretty friendly here.

gold stitch in strap sets off dial perfectly. is that a dark brown rep asso?

here's hoping you do a few more threads!

Found a seller on eBay that had a Buy It Now for a gen 233 case set ($450 which I paid immediately before anyone else did). I inquired what else he had and it turns out the case set he listed was a feeler to see what the interest might be for the rest of the PAM stuff he had. He's a salvage guy and when he went into the closed jewelers/AD to salvage the copper pipes, he came across boxes of merchandise in the repair/service area, one of them being these replaced case sets. I made an offer on the lot that he accepted. All were in good shape with typical scratches etc., but nothing guys like us can't handle.

Asso strap is a little over a year old, so has a nice dark patina of almost daily wear.

where did u get your gen assoc strap? nice!

AD a litttle over a year ago. Not a hard strap to find, and the msrp is lower than what most sellers are ripping people for on the risit sales forums. Threads aren't fraying and the leather has held up to all kinds of crap I've spilled on it.

Member X

Found a seller on eBay that had a Buy It Now for a gen 233 case set ($450 which I paid immediately before anyone else did). I inquired what else he had and it turns out the case set he listed was a feeler to see what the interest might be for the rest of the PAM stuff he had. He's a salvage guy and when he went into the closed jewelers/AD to salvage the copper pipes, he came across boxes of merchandise in the repair/service area, one of them being these replaced case sets. I made an offer on the lot that he accepted. All were in good shape with typical scratches etc., but nothing guys like us can't handle.

Daaaaaayummmm....

baxter

sold my 390 but seeing it on this strap is making me think i made a mistake - great shots and what a lucky find with the case sets !!

squashlovernk

Hey proj,

Like I said over on W-C, if yiu let that modded 390 go, please give me 1st right although I think there are others in line as well.

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD

boneyjr

great shots! (especially for an iphone)

kolchak

that's an awesome ebay score - did you end up building out all the case sets?

once again, that strap looks spectacular on 390!

rafaelvillano

Guys, what is the problem with the 390 CG ?

Visioneer

I'm not exactly sure what the CG problem is but it wasn't enough to keep me from ordering. I have one on the way.

ALE7575

This is really my preferred PAM

ALE

Edited by ALE7575