Sign in to follow this  
LHOOQ

Donerix Canvas: Special Speedy Request

LHOOQ

i-wmMDFFF-X3.jpg

Many of us know donerix for his very beautiful and very exotic leather straps, but lately I've been seeing a lot of his canvas creations. As I was wrapping up my Speedmaster CK2915 project, I suddenly remembered one of the Grail Inspiration photos I had downloaded many years ago. It was of a '57 Speedmaster in remarkably good condition, and fitted with a military-looking, OD canvas strap.

i-2TtxKpP-X3.jpg

I wondered if I could rep this photo? The watch was receiving its final touches from The Zigmeister, but I wanted to try and get a strap ready before it returned to me. I emailed E with my request and a few reference photos. As always, everything went smoothly as we nailed down the color, dimensions, and the buckle. Unfortunately (or not), one side effect of the transaction was that E is now looking for a straight-lugged Speedy of his own. The more, the merrier!

The 19mm strap came in a serious-looking pouch and fit my Speedy and Daytona perfectly. How well did it match up to the reference? Other than the texture of the canvas... well, just look at it!

i-pJd5bn8-X3.jpgi-QnS5JqS-X3.jpg

The strap was surprisingly more robust than I expected. I hadn't realized, for example, that the entire backside would be lined with leather. It's very comfortable, and adds about a couple millimeters of height to the watch head.

i-fZKTPWg-X3.jpg

i-XgHVfWV-X3.jpg

i-QbtK42n-X3.jpg

i-BMPD2fq-X3.jpg

Stunning piece of work. I highly recommend it and anything from donerix.

Thanks, E!

BluffCityBandit

Perfection? Really nice piece and canvas really works for it.

After seeing this it's going to be really, really hard to resist getting the reissue in '13 if I see a good deal - though it would never come close to this one.

James.

Lovely watches, not a massive fan of canvas but works on these. More info on the speedie please :D

Mazz

As Always my friend awesome write up and pictures.

I wonder how a canvas strap would look on my 62 MAS.

DeLaForce

Looks awesome

LHOOQ

Thanks, all. This is the appetizer to my Speedmaster CK2915 writeup, so don't touch that dial.

(Do people still know what "don't touch that dial" means?)