LHOOQ

CK2915: Speedmaster One

hnic

wow

hats off!

johnnoblin

I love the vintage lume.

LHOOQ

Great timing for a bump! Today I was finally able to get the 617 endlinks modded to look more like a pair of vintage 506s. The center notches makes the watch much more convincing, overall.

That said, I would still love to find genuine 6 or 506 endlinks. Send me a PM if you have any tips!

i-zZ5TqKm-X3.jpg

i-Vc6dr3g-X3.jpg

BluffCityBandit

in awe, wear it well

Bardamu

Really, this watch is a beauty. What a great job has been done on it ! And it also received the deserved quality of pictures to present it proudly.

Great post, from a great watch lover. Thanks for sharing with us.

Paul

Del

What a superb write-up, story, watch, photos. Truly, it was a joy to read this thread! :clap:

Epic! :notworthy:

presence00

This is one of my favorite posts on this entire board.

LHOOQ

This is one of my favorite posts on this entire board.

Thanks, everyone! This Speedy's given me a massive amount of joy, so I should again thank Five of Clubs for talking me into getting it!

LHOOQ

Time for another update. Last week, I sent the Speedmaster back to Zigmeister for a full service. It returned to me yesterday, and it keeping very good time. Additionally, I asked Zig for a bit of bracelet work.

First, I asked him to round the middle edge of each modded endlink. If you look at photos from before, you'll see that my old watchsmith had left hard, perpendicular edges. Fortunately, someone had recently auctioned off a a pair of '6' endlinks (winning bid: $1325!) and had taken very good photos for the listing. These formed the bulk of the reference material I sent to Zig. After rounding the edges, he refinished the endlinks again:

i-S5XPWMN-X3.jpg

Speaking of ridiculously high parts prices, a ref. 7077 bracelet (correct for the CK2915) recently sold for $3350. As mentioned in the OP, my bracelet is a later 1039. It's in decent condition, but it bothered me how the new-style Omega logo on the clasp didn't match the pinched Omegas found elsewhere on the watch. It bothered me, but not to the tune of $3350. What to do?

Several months ago, I won an auction for a clasp from a 7912 bracelet. It's longer than the 7077's clasp, but it looks very similar. Unfortunately, the 7912 clasp wasn't a perfect fit with the 1039 hardware, but it was good enough. I asked Zig to refinish the clasp to match the franken-bracelet:

i-tmS7KLs-X3.jpg

And that's where Speedmaster One is today. I'm glad to have it back!

i-Xmks7RD-X3.jpg

Edited by LHOOQ

J!m

MAN!

A labor of love and I really applaud you for taking care of the details- details that 99/100 people would not even have a clue about!

I have a nearly as fanatical problem with my 5517 project, and I would very much like to have "Zig's" contact information (via PM if you prefer) so he can work his magic on my dial and (inbound) hands for that watch...

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on getting your dream watch for a bit less than the US deficit!

LHOOQ

i-xv7hsgG-X3.jpg

Some of you (well, mostly 5♧!) have asked for new photos of this piece, sometimes known as "The Swedemaster" due to its origins. Similarly, I've long wanted to take new shots, but hesitated ever since I lost my old lighting setup. I still haven't replicated that, but that will be a side project for this summer.

Here, then is my CK2915 as of today:

i-4MGR22g-X3.jpg

The lume by Zig is still spectacular. Shame about his retirement!

i-zCxm8mk-X3.jpg

This big crown has doubled in price since last year:

i-jvVWDcP-X3.jpg

New Omegas (like the Cal.9300 Speedmasters and this year's Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial have bracelets that pay homage to the old polished/brushed/polished finish--by reversing it!

i-zwT2gn4-X3.jpg

The clasp is holding together well...

i-XTvsf8q-X3.jpg

...While the Cal.321 movement remains a joy to look at:

i-KvxKVPN-X3.jpg

I still love this Speedmaster:

i-z4RW9xk-X3.jpg

Boneventura

Like most of your posts, I really enjoy reading your work. I actually went on the boards tonight thinking ' I feel like reading LHOOQ's vintage posts' :)

Frazzle

That is an absolutely stunning watch!

Robin195959

Awesome watch. Something about vintage for me. Thanks for sharing.

TheTinMan

Thanks guys for bumping this post back to the top. It was a pleasure to read. You are a lucky, determined, if not stubborn man LHOOQ - and I mean that as a compliment, so please take it that way.

LHOOQ

Missed this latest batch of messages! Thanks, all.

anfalas

.....had to make a comment on this thread:

1) because it's the nicest looking speedmaster I've ever seen and a cracking good read :)

2) ..............I keep losing the damn thread when I want to go back and have another look ;)

.................in case it's of any use to anyone I have the found this same dial for sale on the bay, although personally haven't managed to find a rep speedy with this close sub-dial config:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2054897.l4275

Edited by anfalas

Gazzla

Fucking hell! Epic post!

Mwro2Pz.gif

anfalas

.....you are a total disgrace mate!! How could you post your childish gifs on this amazing thread?!! ;)

crying-waterfalls.gif

Pseudonym

Amazing.

...simply amazing.

LHOOQ

Great find, anfalas. Generally, Omega dials on eBay are massively overpriced, and you can find them cheaper at Ofrei. The only exception is when Watchco in Australia is having a sale, and that's exactly what's happening here. And I'm always tempted to grab a Snoopy dial before they all disappear...

Thanks for the thread resurrection, and here's a bonus recent wristie:

i-tcVVH8W-X3.jpg

anfalas
Great find, anfalas. Generally, Omega dials on eBay are massively overpriced, and you can find them cheaper at Ofrei. The only exception is when Watchco in Australia is having a sale, and that's exactly what's happening here. And I'm always tempted to grab a Snoopy dial before they all disappear... Thanks for the thread resurrection, and here's a bonus recent wristie: i-tcVVH8W-X3.jpg

Thanks mate, I've only recently started looking around at aftermarket parts, dials etc mainly because of the Daytona 6265 I've got coming in (I believe you're also a fan!). I must admit the Speedy dial looked a decent price and I'm half tempted in case I get the opportunity to tinker at some point in the future.

Having said that I can't see any reps that might take this dial.

Thanks for the reply and great to see another shot of your awesome speedy ;)

Edited by anfalas

LHOOQ

i-QBNBwqK-X3.jpg

Oh, you'd better believe I'm a Daytona fan! The CK2915 was, by far, the tougher and more unique project, but the 6263 was the costlier build--thanks mainly to the dial.

Unfortunately, there aren't any rep movements out there that will accept a c.321/861 dial. For a franken Speedmaster project, you could find a Tissot T12 chronograph and cannibalize its Lemania 1873. However, these Tissots aren't that cheap, and you still have to find a case to put everything in. If you're lucky, you might grab an old 145.022 case from Watchco for a couple hundred dollars, but I'm not sure if they have any still lying around. And brand-new replacement Speedmaster cases have long since vanished from Ofrei and other suppliers, I think.

Pseudonym

I've begun the search for a v72/726 after our PMs a while back...

I blame you! LOL

anfalas

i-QBNBwqK-X3.jpg

Oh, you'd better believe I'm a Daytona fan! The CK2915 was, by far, the tougher and more unique project, but the 6263 was the costlier build--thanks mainly to the dial.

Unfortunately, there aren't any rep movements out there that will accept a c.321/861 dial. For a franken Speedmaster project, you could find a Tissot T12 chronograph and cannibalize its Lemania 1873. However, these Tissots aren't that cheap, and you still have to find a case to put everything in. If you're lucky, you might grab an old 145.022 case from Watchco for a couple hundred dollars, but I'm not sure if they have any still lying around. And brand-new replacement Speedmaster cases have long since vanished from Ofrei and other suppliers, I think.

Yeah I also read your Daytona thread. Stunning build :)

Out of the two I'd personally rather go for the Daytona. The ultimate goal would be to get as close as possible to this:

098.jpg

..........unfortunately the reps of this particular dial are not great, and I don't feel like throwing $200 on a Yuki dial. I'm sure I came across some other aftermarket dials from a parts dealer whose prices were a fair bit lower but can't remember the name?