Sign in to follow this  
10:10 Watch Repair

What's a watch without the logo?

An interesting psychological experiment. Watchtime had a quizz featuring watches with no logos. Their intent was to see if readers could match them up correctly with their brands, but it occurred to me that what was more interesting was what these watches looked like without logos. How much value do we place on the brand and the logo, and do these look like cheap homages without something so seemingly insignificant?

watch_13.jpeg

watch_12.jpeg

watch_6.jpeg

watch_9.jpeg

watch_8.jpeg

watch_10.jpeg

watch_11.jpeg

watch4.jpeg

watch_1.jpeg

watch_51.jpeg

watch_3.jpeg

watch_14.jpeg

dlazaros

looks so much better without the logo...

olly593

They look so Naked

Luthier

Interesting experiment, indeed. For 99,9% of the mass population no logo watch mean nothing.

houndoggie

The military style ones look fine.

TT88

maybe a lost sense of identity? not all are nice without their logos.

some are, like the longines.

It's more striking on the page than on screen. They look really cheap in the magazine.

myaz

How much value do we place on the brand and the logo, and do these look like cheap homages without something so seemingly insignificant?

that damn logo. I've given up trying to convince my wife but it still kills me what she's willing to spend for it.

Bob Reed

To me it is not about the logo. I like the watch or I don't. I just happen to like Sub like watches.

LondonBB

People may deny it but in today's world in most cases its the brand that is bought first, and in the case of a "luxury" brand such as Rolex or Louis Vuitton etc, if products had no logo or visible brand identity (such as the distinctive LV design) they would often not be bought. It was different years ago, but in today's shallow celebrity driven culture the brand is imperative. Just look at how often instead of being discreetly hidden the brand name or logo is displayed as a distinctive part of the design

Indigo38

It's more striking on the page than on screen. They look really cheap in the magazine.

They DO look cheap :(

People may deny it but in today's world in most cases its the brand that is bought first, and in the case of a "luxury" brand such as Rolex or Louis Vuitton etc, if products had no logo or visible brand identity (such as the distinctive LV design) they would often not be bought. It was different years ago, but in today's shallow celebrity driven culture the brand is imperative. Just look at how often instead of being discreetly hidden the brand name or logo is displayed as a distinctive part of the design

I think it transcends specific brand identity. We now expect branding as part of the design, so when it's missing, even for a brand we may not hold in high esteem, the product looks less valuable.

Jose Betancur

Divers and pilots watches have a similar aesthetic... That i personally don't have problem if comes branded or not...

I think the brand is relevant in a watch that is the icon or the flag for the company, for example: AP royal Oaks without the logo, Patek's without the logo...

What do you guys think?

fellowsis

A watch without a logo??? It's a parnis surely...

Dan sanchez

I think its quite hard to do this with pictures of watches. I've bought watches from pictures before and been disappointed with the quality when it came.

I think you need to see and feel it to tell the quality imo.

Nisv

1 = Tag

2 = Invicta

3 = PP

4 = Orient

5 = Ebel

6 = Hublot

7 = Seiko

8 = Tag

9 = Ebel

10 = Invicta

11 = Corum

12 = Breitling

As you can see I didn't Google for the answer(s) :rolleyes:

So how did I fare? :D

DR3M3L

2. B&R

3. Patek

5. IWC

6. Hublot

7. Seiko

8. TAG

10. Rolex

11. Tissot

12. Breilting

Holy shit, I really don't know any of these. :o Only tissot and Breitling I'm sure.

Edited by jorandesign

DR3M3L

1 = Tag

2 = Invicta

3 = PP

4 = Orient

5 = Ebel

6 = Hublot

7 = Seiko

8 = Tag

9 = Ebel

10 = Invicta

11 = Corum

12 = Breitling

11 should be tissot. I have one :P

1_1348324587.jpg

Nisv

1 = Tag

2 = Invicta

3 = PP

4 = Orient

5 = Ebel

6 = Hublot

7 = Seiko

8 = Tag

9 = Ebel

10 = Invicta

11 = Corum

12 = Breitling

11 should be tissot. I have one :P

1_1348324587.jpg

Bloody hell :lol:

jeffw69

I admit it, I'm a brand-whore! Yep, that's me.

HeavyKrush

Wow, that's an eye opener. For sure look considerably less valuable and only marginally apealing.

LondonBB

I think it transcends specific brand identity. We now expect branding as part of the design, so when it's missing, even for a brand we may not hold in high esteem, the product looks less valuable.

It would be very interesting to know (but impossible to find out) how many buyers of Rolex watches would buy the watch for the high price it is if it had no name, no branding. My guess is many would not, regardless of the watches quality.

P4GTR

I like logo's.

repock

1 - Sinn

Luthier

It would be very interesting to know (but impossible to find out) how many buyers of Rolex watches would buy the watch for the high price it is if it had no name, no branding. My guess is many would not, regardless of the watches quality.

Zero.