Sign in to follow this  
10:10 Watch Repair

What's a watch without the logo?

Soopah Spy

Wow, the *only* one I recognize is #3, the Longines. They do that waffling effect on their dials that really stands out.

Luthier

You didn't recognize SOH? And TAG Carrera?

10:10 Watch Repair

shit, there's a Tag?

:lol:

Soopah Spy

Actually, yeah, the SOH I spotted. But the Tag took a while. It was that crosshair subdial at 9 that gave it away.

peter28

A watch without the logo is like a girl without.....

Member X

I think if a design is good it will work without a logo - I have black and white sterile Rolex GMT homages and I prefer them over the branded version - the uncluttered dial makes them much more legible and striking :)

It is sad that people spend so much on a label - my mate is just the same...

greg_r

I think if a design is good it will work without a logo - I have black and white sterile Rolex GMT homages and I prefer them over the branded version - the uncluttered dial makes them much more legible and striking :)

It is sad that people spend so much on a label - my mate is just the same...

For me, the unbranded Rolex homages look like arse. The dial design needs a logo to 'balance' properly. Not necessarily the case with others, though - most of the unbranded PAM homages look fine as do the 'Marina Militaire' branded versions along with some of the B&R & IWC homages (to name but a few).

In general, I have no issues with branded homages and will wear them as happily as I will a rep - provided the quality is up to par (which often it isn't sadly) - just so long as the name on the dial isn't something godawful like "Parnis" ;)

RichardMiami

To some degree, yes, it is about the logo. I would like to think that it is ALSO about the design.

As our wives and others occasionally remind us, and as this test reinforces, sometimes, absent iconic design, THEY ALL LOOK ALIKE!

Iconic designs get copied a lot because they are recognizable.... so we only need the logo to remind us that we are looking at the original.

For example - The AP Royal Oak line, with the Genta designed octagonal bezel, does not need a logo to be recognized.

Nor does the Rolex Sub

Nor does the Patek Nautilus (another Genta)

Nor do the Panerais (the crown guard is the "tell" for the brand - not the logo.)

etc. etc.

Look at my sig watch... does it need a logo? Nope. Will it ever get confused with any other manufacturer's watch? Hardly likely....