Sign in to follow this  
alfo982

Questions about an automatic movement

alfo982

Hi guys, I’m here for a couple of simple questions for experts like you!

I have a rolex sub replica, but sincerely I don’t wear it every day. For this reasons sometimes I must adjust the time and recharge the watch.

Now these are my questions:

-If I charge the automatic movement through the rotation of the side crown ( actually I don’t know if it is the right technical word, but I hope you’ve understood what I mean…), could it be harmful for the movement? And, even a dummier question: does the rotation of the crown charge the watch???

-a too frequent adjustment of time could be harmful for the movement?

PS: I’m talking about a Robert’s watch, therefore I presume it is an ETA movement.

Thank you in advise…

bye

oscarmadfish

i am a great fan of watch winders - the less stress on the parts the better

alfo982
i am a great fan of watch winders - the less stress on the parts the better

Ah, watch winder... here is the right word! thx

so do you suggest me to wear it day and night and keep my hands away from the winder? :pee:

greg_r

WInding an automatic watch by hand is generally not the best idea as it can cause wear to the movement. Just set the time and date and then give the watch a gentle shake or 'swirl' to get it started. Once you put it on, the movement of your arm will keep it wound.

I've never found it necessary to wind an automatic watch by hand...

Alternatively, as Oscar says, you can keep it wound on a watch winder such as those sold by AceTimer (see the trusted dealer list).

trailboss99

Alfo, hand winding the watch should not hurt it as long as you wind slowly and carefully.

As Greg say tho best not to unless you have to, a gentle shake should do.

Ajusting the time will not hurt it either. Do not ajust the date with time between 9 and 3.

set the watch to 6 and ajust the date then set the time.

When oscar talks of watchwinder he means a device to keep your watch wound like these: http://www.acetimer.com/winders.htm

Col.

alfo982
Alfo, hand winding the watch should not hurt it as long as you wind slowly and carefully.

As Greg say tho best not to unless you have to, a gentle shake should do.

Ajusting the time will not hurt it either. Do not ajust the date with time between 9 and 3.

set the watch to 6 and ajust the date then set the time.

When oscar talks of watchwinder he means a device to keep your watch wound like these: http://www.acetimer.com/winders.htm

Col.

ahhhhhhh..... Clear!

Thanks for your suggestions!

alfo982

Hi guys, do u wanna know? you convinced me to buy a watch winder.

I found I cheap one for almost 40$:

either this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Watch-Winder-Box...=item2ea9b4e359

or this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Personal-automatic-wat...=item2c52d7fb37

not yet decided...

What do you think about it?

Then another question about the rotation program: on ebay it is written that the device rotates for 1 hour then it stops for other 3.

Does it make sense or would you suggest a shorter rotation period?

Thanks in advice...

greg_r

DON'T buy either of those. Cheap watch winders rarely last very long - the motors burn out pretty rapidly.

The cheapest I'd recommend are those made by AceTimer in the US. They use good quality motors which last longer than most of the others in their price range.

Check their web site (on our Trusted Dealer list) or search for member name acetimer on eBay

alfo982
DON'T buy either of those. Cheap watch winders rarely last very long - the motors burn out pretty rapidly.

The cheapest I'd recommend are those made by AceTimer in the US. They use good quality motors which last longer than most of the others in their price range.

Check their web site (on our Trusted Dealer list) or search for member name acetimer on eBay

90$ the cheapest... a bit too much for me...

greg_r

Then I'd suggest you don't bother. Seriously, the ultra-cheap ones are usually a waste of money...

alfo982

Then I'd suggest you don't bother. Seriously, the ultra-cheap ones are usually a waste of money...

okok, I've trust in you!

I'll take my time to find an alternative solution...

thx

alfo982

last question.

Is it a waste of money also if I've planned to use it not so often: I mean... only during the weekends, when I'm not in the office, and just one hour per day (total of a max of 2 hours per week).

NFleischer

yes, even some of the better winders tend to burn out. ive gone throught at least 4.

if your not wearing the watch, then you

can occassionally manuallly give the crown a few turns and/or shake the watch which spins the automatic movement.

don't worry- i have a bunch of watches; i can't keep up with them all. they will stop. just reset and go!