Silverspeed

How to photograph watches

Klink
Anyone ever see TTK's photo setup, if not, here it is, that's a big tripod and a big ball and socket head :popcorn:

thanks for blast from past

eyeball remember

(good stuff!)

k

Baldrick

Just as an aside, TTK used one of these in his setup, which I think he used for most of his shots, it's a large opaque acrylic type dome, he could shoot from various angles and the results were IMO excellent completely flat with little or no reflections on the glass or bezel and a solid white or even black background.

Some examples.

image4-2.jpg

image5-1.jpgBroadArrow18.jpgPICT0215.jpg200737.jpgAHOLYTRIO.jpgPICT0022copy.jpg

oakley-gascan-matte-black.jpg

oakleyromeo2-edited.jpg

Ska

God those are fucking sexy!!!

cvcman

my wife has a 8 mp camera and I cant seem to get good pics no matter what ??

bt3100

Great Post!

Thanks

warcelo

Thank you guys for this topic!

I read everything, followed the instructions and here are the results at my first attempt:

5164815131_f97bc9745c_b.jpg

5164814163_47ab586b56_b.jpg

The camera is a pocket Sony 7.2MP ( Basic camera )

:D

Baldrick

Very nice Mr W. :D

Aren

No wonder you guys get these great photos. :D Look at your equipment !

My daughter told me she would make a proper light box for me. She told me that in the meantime, I could just cut circles on the sides and top of a cardboard box, put white paper over the cut outs and shine light through the paper to photograph the contents.

Well, I don't have anything more to photograph, and much of what I did photograph wouldn't have fit in a box anyway. When I can get a new watch (or more pens) I will probably have a proper light box by then.

My son's watch was photographed with his cell phone, so I feel I have come along way. ::vomit::

Nice photos... I always appreciate them. Most of the pictures here are really quite amazing. With equipment like some of you have...it is no wonder.

Baldrick

Sell a gun, buy a camera and start 'shooting' :notworthy:

dingle
Sell a gun, buy a camera and start 'shooting' :rofl:

+1

another classic quote from BR :notworthy:

Aren

:rofl: @ Baldrick...

great play on words Baldrick and it is even in context...you are so clever... :notworthy:

But...I think I have taken enough photographs this week...::D:

edil

i wish someone would do a tutorial on how to photograph with cellphone cam, cause that all i've got

:notworthy::rofl::D:rofl:

warcelo

My equipment is a pocket Sony ( cheap one ), light bulb and paper to diffuse it. I know my pictures are dark but i think it´s ok for a start!

Baldrick

That kind of 'dark' (low contrast / low key ) look is OK, carry on :bsmeter:

warcelo

Good to know, Baldrick!

Thank you a lot! ;)

jstr

My first post on this forum.

I would just like to add, when you are photographing reflective products, such as shinny metal or glass, your aim is not flood the object with direct light but rather light another object that reflects on to the product. Many product photographers shine their lighting onto cards which are then mirrored back onto the product.

here is a youtube video I found to explain it better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJqDxLas8F8

pfcdre

I would just like to add, when you are photographing reflective products, such as shinny metal or glass, your aim is not flood the object with direct light but rather light another object that reflects on to the product. Many product photographers shine their lighting onto cards which are then mirrored back onto the product.

here is a youtube video I found to explain it better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJqDxLas8F8

hi all could some one tell me how to upload a photo please thanks

dingle

hi all could some one tell me how to upload a photo please thanks

If using photobucket, check out this link

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=4390

:P

MikeMcNair

i gave these techniques a whirl, and my end results are SHITTY (using nikon cool pix P80 or some shit like that)

my iphone pix turn out better. :fearlessleader:

DSCN2887.jpg

DSCN2900.jpg

DSCN2905.jpg

what the hell am i doing wrong? aperature priority, auto focus, 2 sec and 4 sec (on lume shot) exposure. and, SHIT results :D

here is the camera's manual if anyone wants to tell me what to hit, cause i am a camera NOOB!!!!!

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/de...tal-photography

mad dawg

Photographing watches ain't quick or easy, check this out

Youtube link

Baldrick

20+ hours combined studio and Photoshop work, this guy knows how to big it up for his client's fee :rofl:

Plus, what the hell is a 'Pro' photographer doing with a camera that only goes down to 200 ISO, he's a 'noob', I bet he's never shot a 25 or 64 ASA transparency in his life :gday_mate_haveabeer:

SETUP

2x Anglepoise lamps 5500K colour temperature bulbs ( 'green' long life )

2x sheets of opaque acrylic plastic, either black or white

1x sheet of white paper

1x camera

1x tripod

1x remote release

lights.jpg

PREPARATION AND SHOOTING

1 minute to switch on and position the 2x Anglepoise lamps

2 minutes to clean the watch

5 mins to decide which angles to shoot

2 mins to take the photos

10 mins to PS the dust specks out ( there are ALWAYS dust specks )

1 min to add the border

0 mins for 'layering'

0 mins for 'compositing'

no layers used, no compositing images, one shot images.

TOTAL TIME 21 mins+.....AND NONE OF THIS "WE'LL HAVE TO SHOOT THE WHITE DIAL ANOTHER DAY NONSENSE" :gday_mate_haveabeer:

260Jcopy.jpg

411MAR08ROLEXDAYTONA1.jpg

DaytonaYellownumber1.jpg

ROLEXDAYTONASAMPLE.jpg

e7249412.jpg

Silverspeed

Holy crap...if taking a watch pic took hours and hours to get it done I would find something else to do

Like Baldrick mentions with a bit of practise at most it will take about 30 minutes to get a decent set of pics

Or if you're really lazy.....like me :lol: take the shots outside, in the shades, on a bright day

IMG_4785kopie.png

IMG_4440akopie.png

IMG_3899kopie.jpg

dingle

BR--where does one get one of those watch stands?

Baldrick

At a watch stand shop, or you could try a prayer to the Lord, I might just answer :wave:

GC

Seriously... if i had to spend more than 30min photog'n a watch, it would never happen. Sure practice is a must until you know what your camera can do, you wind up taking crap shots till you nail one phenomenal shot. From there it's trying to recreate a phenomenal shot from different angles with different light sources. Light IMO is the thing to master, because it's not only light but also the absence of light that make for the most interesting shots.

Once you know what your camera can do & have figured out how light can be manipulated, it's just a case of pointing and shooting. Everything else i.e. photoshop'n et al is just a formality.

If you think the more money you spend on a camera will help you get a phenomenal shot, you are mistaken. I've seen terrible shots from the most expensive cameras and i've seen phenomenal shots from disposable cameras.

BTW: Silverspeed's OP is fantastic, it walks you through exactly what you need, how the camera settings work and how to get seriously good shots! Read the post, follow his guide and you can't go wrong.