Sign in to follow this  
houndoggie

The Robert James Memorial Watchshot thread...

hnic

great topic

gB.

This is the last rep I own that came from Robert. I've had tons of others in the past, but this all that remains. The PAM Ferrari with an awesome HW mov't.

WCPAMFerrari.jpg

16fc68fd.jpg

Also received this from him that came with the package (and still have it). :giggle:

Picture004_vPOST.jpg

mickey1

I didn't know you had that one, Aren!

Classy as always :)

I bought several from Robert, most of which I still have :)

Senator Sixties in both black and silver dials are favourites and come out fairly regularly, my Explorer 1 39mm is one of my all time favourites (but has been no end of trouble :lol:), I have a $99 Fiddy, and I also used the Reseller Special offer to pick up a 21j 39mm Explorer 1 ($57, I think?!!) and a PO Chrono (beast!) for a guy Oop North who wanted a piece of the bargain action.

Robert always reminded me of a classic Del Boy character. There are sadly few such people around nowadays, 1 less since Robert 'moved into a new market' (I'm sure he's got some deals working out nicely wherever he is :lol:). The world is a duller place without him!

Robert was a kind of Del Boy character - but with a mixture of the wit of Arthur Daley [George Cole in Minder], but what a salesman he was from a very young age, I am sure you are right about him having some deals going on wherever he is, however not sure there is anything he hasn't sold in his life....so he must be working on inventing something...

dingle

good to see you mickey1 :)

Member X

+1 :)

Mystery Shopper

Robert was my TD of choice when I first arrived here nearly 4 years ago. He was often in the shoutbox and I found buying from him easy and enjoyable. I have given away a few watches but still have many I bought from him. Today I visited my watchsmith and I thought I'd share a couple of stories.

Omega Speedy 40th anniversary. This was my second purchase (after SOSF) and I can't part with it. I know there are better versions of this but I like this one. It is a beautiful, low profile watch & it used to always be my 'Monday' watch. It was a cheapie & the battery died after three and a half years- I replaced the battery today after visiting the watchsmith. For the noobs, there is nothing wrong with the cheapies here and you will get a long life out of the watch. Here is to the next three years!

SAM_1170.jpg

Cartier bubble- my Mrs wanted a gold watch and chose this one. I PM'd Robert and he had this version with a swiss movement. The issue was the crown didn't always 'grab' when setting the time and it would slip. It would work eventually but it was a pain in the arse if it stopped and you had to reset the time. I didn't know how to fix it & took it to my watch doctor. He unscrewed the back and had a surprised look on his face. He told me he does the evaluations for many pawn shops (including Cash Converters in Aust) and if I didn't tell him it was a rep, he wouldn't have known! The movement in the watch is so very similar to gen as is the caseback and dial. A minor adjustment to the crown was all that was required and as Klink says 'life is good'.

SAM_1065.jpg

Robert really looked after us and I was incredibly lucky to have a strong dollar and a dealer like Robert.