Sign in to follow this  
KBH

What is a "franken"?

KBH

I was just looking at a TT "franken" Datejust for sale on RG. Nice watch but the only gen part is the crystal. The rest is standard A21j. The seller was advertising it as a special "franken". What's the general opinion here?

Is my Sea Dweller a 'franken" since it has a gen insert and pearl? I don't think so. I just sold an Explorer II with a gen crystal. I never considered it close to a "franken".

Any other opinions?

Member X

lol That seller isn't selling a franken, he's selling an upgraded cheapie!

A franken is something which has least 50% of the parts as gen, IMO.

ebzen02
I was just looking at a TT "franken" Datejust for sale on RG. Nice watch but the only gen part is the crystal. The rest is standard A21j. The seller was advertising it as a special "franken". What's the general opinion here?

Is my Sea Dweller a 'franken" since it has a gen insert and pearl? I don't think so. I just sold an Explorer II with a gen crystal. I never considered it close to a "franken".

Any other opinions?

I think to qualify as a fracken the watch must have some major components as gen and more than one at that. IMO, I'd say at least 3 or 4 major gen components. Example. Gen dial, Gen crown, Gen glass.

lol That seller isn't selling a franken, he's selling an upgraded cheapie!

A franken is something which has least 50% of the parts as gen, IMO.

+1

trailboss99

Not even close! :lol:

He's fooling himself or trying to fool others.

Point it out to sfa.

KBH's DJ is my idea of a franken.

Col.

KBH

I personally wouldn't consider a watch Franken unless it at least began with a gen case plus other gen mods. Prefereably a gen dial also.

Look at all the MBW subs that take gen parts. I've never heard one called a franken even with every gen part available installed. And they take crystal, dial, bezel assembly, insert, crown and tube, etc.

All the Yuki, Spinmaster, and DW vintage Daytonas. Lot's of them have gen pushers, crystals, crown and tubes. Are they frankens? I've never heard them called that.

Silverspeed

A franken would be a rep with gen parts to make it noticably different from a normal rep.

Things like dial, case, bezel or a gen movement.

KBH

Point it out to sfa.

Col.

I'll leave that to others. I pointed out a similar misleading claim to SFA the other day and he didn't find it warranted anything. At least he never got back to me.

JoeyB

Point it out to sfa.

Col.

I'll leave that to others. I pointed out a similar misleading claim to SFA the other day and he didn't find it warranted anything. At least he never got back to me.

Your DJ is so close to being a gen it's a shame to call it a 'Franken'.

KBH

Point it out to sfa.

Col.

Thanks Joey. It's kinda like a Corvette with a Ford engine.

trailboss99

Point it out to sfa.

Col.

No, more like a Jag with a Ford engine.

A popular way of saving an old V12 Jag here, the 351 drops straight in and bolts up, engine mounts and all.

Col

JoeyB

Point it out to sfa.

Col.

Lol! No chance! They used to take Jag XKEs and pull the 6 cyl and put in a 327 Chevy. But I don't think a Rolex movement is much better, if better, than an ETA. And Rolex used ETAs in their history, as I recall.

KBH

I've seen a few Jags with small block Chevies. One company did conversion kits with engine mounts and wiring harnesses that made it a direct swap. Especially useful when the Jag engines caught on fire. That V12 Jag engine was a waste of steel and aluminum.

I almost bought one with a 400 cube Chevy years ago. But common sense got in the way. It was fun to go for a test drive though.

GC

The whole Franken thing is beyond me, not that I don't appreciate all the work and passion that goes into them or the satisfaction one gets from being able to say "I built it"...but from my economic stand point it's over my head.

Having said that, I agree that a franken should be at least 50% gen, I'll leave the math to the experts.

trailboss99

Youre right, it's the chev, my bad.

The Jag v12 is actualy not a bad engine if propperly cared for. The one thing they don't like is overheating.

A client has a one owner XJS that has my name on it if he ever sells it, 70.000 genuine miles and a manual too!

Had one ages ago and loved that big old gal. That, the M635 and the '72 450sec (also manuals) were the most fun for the

dollar cars I've ever owned.

but from my economic stand point it's over my head

Seen KBH's DJ? Basicly a gen for 300 bucks. Speaking of which KBH, you have a PM.

Col.

KBH

$300 is a little cheaper than reality. With gen bracelet and everything I've got between $600 and $800 in them.

The white gold/SS now sports a gen Jubilee instead of the rep bracelet in the picture.

DSCN3116.jpg

trailboss99

Ah yes, I was refering to the last one you posted with the strap.

The one you stole for 200 and something plus strap and MVT.

Col.

cybee

I always considered the term "franken" to be any watch built with components other than what was originally on the watch. I guess in the rep world it means putting gen parts on a replica. Putting on one gen part does not make it a franken watch imho....unless it belongs to Al Franken. :thumbsup2:

AustinTech

Saying 50% gen = franken doesn't really mean anything. 50% of what? Price? Parts? Visible surface?

Franken to me means gen dial or gen movement + one other (or more) gen parts.

Example: I think a franken SA has a gen dial and bracelet.

speedzmaster

A Franken should be all genuine except for what is necessary to complete the substituted movement such as hands. This means, case, dial, crystal, crown and, bracelet should be all genuine whereas the movement and hands are not

fakemaster
I always considered the term "franken" to be any watch built with components other than what was originally on the watch.

I agree. And those parts would beall gen just from different watches.

JohnG

Now see, I always thought a franken was watch with at last ONE genuine part. So my SSD with genuine long diver's extension was a "franken".

The term isn't defined in the dictionary, so people should just use their fucking brains - READ WHAT PARTS ARE GENUINE and DECIDE ACCORDINGLY.

Problem solved.

greg_r
Now see, I always thought a franken was watch with at last ONE genuine part. So my SSD with genuine long diver's extension was a "franken".

The term isn't defined in the dictionary, so people should just use their fucking brains - READ WHAT PARTS ARE GENUINE and DECIDE ACCORDINGLY.

Problem solved.

+1 :thumbsup: