Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

GMT- Master II Ceramic, 50th Anniversary

AllergyDoc

This was one of the first ceramic GMT's purchased, "way back" at the end of May, 2008. Correct handstack version, meaning the hands sit on the dial in the same stacking order as the genuine article. Most Rolex replicas have the GMT and hour hand in the wrong position.

Here are the pics:

CGMTglasstable1.jpg

Bezel insert sits nice and low. Very nice. Close ups of bezel and insert:

CGMTbezel1.jpg

Rolex-Rolex-Rolex:

CGMTbezelinside1.jpg

Bracelet is big, Should fit 8" wrist. I removed a link and adjusted the clasp to fit my 7½" wrist:

CGMTbigbracelet.jpg

Crown and guards:

CGMTcrown2.jpg

Date:

CGMTdate.jpg

Dial:

CGMTdial1.jpg

The finale:

CGMTwrist1.jpg

CGMTwrist2.jpg

Very heavy watch.

Bezel clicks 24 times around the dial. Very solid feel when it clicks.

Alas, a screw would not come out and was ruined in the attempt. Some had to be pushed out instead of screwed out. Gotta ask Josh for a new bracelet. (Josh did send me the new bracelet.)

Bezel needed some polishing with a soft cloth to get to shine.

Highly recommended!

Update 11/2008:

I don't wear this watch as often as I used to, although I still really like it. You know how we always seem to wear the new ones more. The movement still works and keeps COSC time. The GMT hand is another story. It runs very fast, maybe 2 hours a day fast. It shouldn't be a big deal because I don't use it, but it still bugs me.

The newer version has a better bezel, supposedly ceramic through and through instead of sandwiched. I wouldn't buy the correct handstack version, if it's ever available again. The incorrect version is far more superior.

greg_r

One of the classic Rolexes imho. Far more interesting than a Sub. I really must get one myself one of these days.

onzenuub

Beuatiful pics Doc

oscarmadfish

great pics and a fine looking watch

Elmerboy

This is the watch for me. One question; however, on water resistance. Is this watch water resistant at all? I am only talking about wearing it in the swimming pool, just while hanging out...no laps or anything and certainly not in the ocean or for diving. I just would like to know that I can hop in the pool to cool off without having to worry about trashing the watch.

Thanks

trailboss99

Hi Elmer. You would need to have it tested first (any mall watch booth should have a pressure tester) but yes, it should be OK. These were good right out of the box but it still may need some grease on the gaskets before it goes near water. It should test OK to between 50 and 100 meters which is plenty for swiming.

I sugest you read RolexAddict's exelent article on the subject HERE to get an understanding of the process.

Regards, Col.

RolexAddict

Dealers give it for "water resistant" this argument has no signification.

The problem if any, will come from the sapphire assembly. Also often the case and crown rings are dry.

The best way is :

1) open the case back and coat the gasket with marine grease then close back tight.

2) Then bring the watch to a local watch repair shop and ask for a basic pressure test. Lot of shops are equiped with dry test machines, so no risk.

Dont put the watch in water before you check yourself the ability (se my waterproofing article) or go for a pressure test

Elmerboy

Thanks for the reply. I hope it works out of the box just fine. I don't have the tools or expertise to take it apart and waterproof it myself. Furthermore, I am hesitant to take it to someone to proof it for me because it is not gen. I own a Steinhart Ocean 1 that handles swimming just fine and I never had it tested or waterproofed. I am hoping the same will be true of the Ceramic GMT II from Andrew.

jameo210369

Doc great pics as always, you are slowly turning me to the darkside.

Elmerboy, I would never put a rep into water; doing the dishes etc should be fine but no swimming or diving.

AllergyDoc

I never swam with this watch on but I have with several other reps: Breitling Superocean Steelfish, "Noob" sub, Panerai SlyTech, and now my WM9 Sub. I haven't had any of them tested. They're all dive watches so the design is right for swimming. The advice to have your watch checked first is correct. I suppose I practice "unprotected swimming" with a replica.

No worries about taking a replica to a watch shop as long as you don't tell them it's a genuine. I open my watches with a rubber ball I got from Ofrei. Less than $10. The grease RA mentioned was another $8. Pretty cheap gear.

iabounty

I agree, good advice. Lots of mom and pop jewelry stores and independent watch shops around and they could care less that you are bringing in a replica or fake watch....... They need the money and are happy to do the job. Be it sizing a watch band or bracelet or polishing a case or replacing a broken saphire crystal. Just stay away from an A D they might get pissy and would overcharge you anyway....

garysanta

Can you please tell me the name of the dealer you purchased this from?

Thanks,

Gary

alphakazi

Hi gary, you can click on the trusted dealers list at the top of the page - many of us deal with either Robert or Mary but any dealer on that list is trustworthy - have a look around and don't hesitiate to post any questions - welcome to the forums!

here is the link as well : http://www.replica-watch-guide.net/forum/i...hp?showtopic=60

AllergyDoc

I bought it from Josh of Perfect Clones.