LightGeek

Rep Pricing - too high, too low, what is it?

Olly

Really ? That's surprising. I thought that was only a myth and they where made in Spain :lol:

narikaa

From China, Ive supplied many (I also suspect much skulduggery has been perpetrated with them too ;))

JohnG

Really ? That's surprising. I thought that was only a myth and they where made in Spain :lol:

Phong makes a $16,000 rep vintage Patek - with solid gold case

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=927

Olly

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...p?showtopic=927

Holy S*** That is crazy money for a rep !!!!

D_Chico

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...p?showtopic=927

Holy S*** That is crazy money for a rep !!!!

I agree that is crazy! I actually just came across this one the other day.. Supposedly it has a solid rose gold case $1,500!! :o

http://asian7750.com/cn/product_show.asp?big_pid=&ps_id=96&P_id=369&ti=

BC1221

edit: dur.. old post.

for me the cheapie reps (-$100) defining factor is the plastic movement holder.

i can live with the cheapie 21j movement on some watches but the plastic movement holder is my breaking point.

i hate them. these are usually accompanied by horrible dials, mineral crystal and very bad cases

i can live with mid range $100-$200 reps. in fact, i have a few that i love in this range.

a 21j SMP and 2 vintage rolexes with high beat 2813s.

with a little work, these can look great and movements can be sourced cheap and replaced easily when it dies.

i do prefer the eta/eta clone range ($200-$300)

i think if youre looking for a sub or a ceramic anything, it should be in this range or higher.

the cheapie CrPO's look like complete shit compared to the BP/Noob CrPOs

anything above that, i really dont have much interest in.

as good as ive seen some frankens look, i think its silly to spend that much on a replica.

after getting my feet wet modding, i can very much understand how one could easily get in to making frankens.

theres just something about a watch youve changed that isnt the same as just a bought watch.

id buy a TC but honestly, my noobmariner (16610) is good enough for me at the moment. maybe its bc ive not seen a TC in real life so ignorance is bliss?

so far, my noobmariner and my cheapie 1680s are my fav pieces.

:)

Edited by BC1221

Frankt8242

edit: dur.. old post.

for me the cheapie reps (-$100) defining factor is the plastic movement holder.

i can live with the cheapie 21j movement on some watches but the plastic movement holder is my breaking point.

i hate them. these are usually accompanied by horrible dials, mineral crystal and very bad cases

i can live with mid range $100-$200 reps. in fact, i have a few that i love in this range.

a 21j SMP and 2 vintage rolexes with high beat 2813s.

with a little work, these can look great and movements can be sourced cheap and replaced easily when it dies.

i do prefer the eta/eta clone range ($200-$300)

i think if youre looking for a sub or a ceramic anything, it should be in this range or higher.

the cheapie CrPO's look like complete shit compared to the BP/Noob CrPOs

anything above that, i really dont have much interest in.

as good as ive seen some frankens look, i think its silly to spend that much on a replica.

after getting my feet wet modding, i can very much understand how one could easily get in to making frankens.

theres just something about a watch youve changed that isnt the same as just a bought watch.

id buy a TC but honestly, my noobmariner (16610) is good enough for me at the moment. maybe its bc ive not seen a TC in real life so ignorance is bliss?

so far, my noobmariner and my cheapie 1680s are my fav pieces.

:)

Plastic movement holders are a good deal better at protecting the movement than metal ones when a watch is dropped for instance...A total non issue to me!!

anfalas

I think anyone looking for the best quality at the best possible price is better off going for earlier versions in the higher rep bracket. Take Hublot for example, I've seen V2's priced at around $260 compared to $410+ for a V6 with really very minor differences which certainly don't justify the price hike in my humble opinion.

This isn't the case for all brands though I have to admit.

jahnaosei

Great Post ! Thanks for the info :)

LightGeek

Wow, I was sure talking some shit back then...

psantos1091

Wow, I was sure talking some shit back then...

Now..fast forward two years later..what's your opinion on the reps now being around the $600+ range ($598+ shipping etc) head%20bash.gif

mulder

I bought a. $90 Panerai 111h. Looks and feels great and keeps perfect time. I've had people look at it and not one has said rep. Even had one wanting to try it on and commented on the solid feel and the beauty of the movement they could see through the back of it. I think it comes down to who you choose to supply and exactly what you want from a rep. Now with our dollar dropping in the arse a $90 watch is not $120 in our cash plus post.

MetalMickey
I bought a. $90 Panerai 111h. Looks and feels great and keeps perfect time. I've had people look at it and not one has said rep. Even had one wanting to try it on and commented on the solid feel and the beauty of the movement they could see through the back of it. I think it comes down to who you choose to supply and exactly what you want from a rep. Now with our dollar dropping in the arse a $90 watch is not $120 in our cash plus post.

Exactly.

How many non watch people have ever even seen a Panerai? Of them how many have seen a real one? Of them how many have the kind of knowledge we do about fonts and screw positions in the back etc. The only people the more expensive reps matter to is us!

Prices are getting ridiculous. I don't mind occasionally spending big money on, say, a Bronzo that is obviously different, but for normal watches...? I have been happier with a Regmariner than a TC Sub!

ShovelnTC

I know this subject has been done to death but for me at least it has meant that I haven't bought a Rep since middle of last year and I expect that I will be channeling the money saved in to a Gen, (the secret stash is still building).

Stuvetjee

Wow, I was sure talking some shit back then... Dealers are talking shit right now charging $600 for a AP ROO

Fixxed that for you ;)

dfq23

new speedmaster 57 rep. sunken date wheel, fauxnograph, mineral crystal front and back.....

$428 plus delivery

GenTLe
new speedmaster 57 rep. sunken date wheel, fauxnograph, mineral crystal front and back.....

$428 plus delivery

Yes

And why not mention the latest Zenith @508$? This one: http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=113&product_id=1347

mulder

Prices are silly. For the price you pay for some reps you can buy a gen well known brand with three years worldwide warranty and it still be a nice watch.

ImNotFatImFluffy

It seems even POs don't sell will used anymore unless you give them away, this is probably the last time I bother with higher priced reps, at least of planet oceans.

jeane123

Thanks for the great write up

DeathStain

you can pretty much get anything you want that will be awesome in the $200-$400 range.

Agree with this. If we spend more than this on a replica, it really doesn't make any sense.

BadPickle

you can pretty much get anything you want that will be awesome in the $200-$400 range.

Agree with this. If we spend more than this on a replica, it really doesn't make any sense.

you don't make sense posting on a 4 and a half year old thread, get with the times pal, prices have moved upwards since that thread.

Lakdeuz

agree with you 2, at 400+ usd you can have genuine watches which will last you a lifetime

phone

agree with you 2, at 400+ usd you can have genuine watches which will last you a lifetime

Let the thead die. Damn.

Mr_B

Or a super rep that could last a lifetime