Sign in to follow this  
Bob Reed

Working on a watch

Bob Reed

Well I have received a few watches to practice on from a very brave member! :) The first one I tackled was his AP diver that the rotating bezel no longer turns. So I took the watch apart, first time for me for a AP, and have the problem in hand. The "crown" for the bezel is striped and probably not fixable without replacement parts. Word of caution if you own this watch, be careful with that adjuster VERY flimsy setup.... Here is a pic of the mess...

IMG_20121222_141412.jpg

AS90

Good luck!

TT88

that's very brave for first attempt using someone else watch.

hope you get the part to replace.

more pics along the way ya?

Bob Reed

First time taking an AP apart not my first watch. No there are very few parts available for all Reps so I am going to set the bezel to 12:00 and re assemble the watch. Owner is happy with that. The way this thing is designed it would only break again anyway. Very poor design!

Luthier

Bob, you're very, very brave man. No shit. I'd never, ever, even think to tear AP apart...

Good luck, bro!!! Post more pictures during the process, please.

TT88

First time taking an AP apart not my first watch. No there are very few parts available for all Reps so I am going to set the bezel to 12:00 and re assemble the watch. Owner is happy with that. The way this thing is designed it would only break again anyway. Very poor design!

Ya i know mate. Isn't your first watch but first AP.

Guess you got more confident after fixing your first keyless?

Anyway, kudos for first attempt on the diver.

dmpmassive

Nicely done Bob!

FYI, the bezel on the new Hublot Diver is also flimsy plastic. I won one in here on the forum from WI in the VIP upgrade contest. When I received it, the bezel was completely jammed and it wasn't set to 12 o'clock either. I took it apart to see if it was anything obvious. Near as I can tell, the plastic bezel is probably just slightly misshapen. It binds against the case and seizes up pretty easy. That coupled with a soft plastic gears and it's a stripped teeth waiting to happen!

Set to 12 & Resist any temptations to play with those internal bezels!

Bob Reed

Well the AP is done. Will post the pic once the owner sees it. This was a learning experience! Think I would rather work on the movements! :)

Bob Reed

Nicely done Bob!

FYI, the bezel on the new Hublot Diver is also flimsy plastic. I won one in here on the forum from WI in the VIP upgrade contest. When I received it, the bezel was completely jammed and it wasn't set to 12 o'clock either. I took it apart to see if it was anything obvious. Near as I can tell, the plastic bezel is probably just slightly misshapen. It binds against the case and seizes up pretty easy. That coupled with a soft plastic gears and it's a stripped teeth waiting to happen!

Set to 12 & Resist any temptations to play with those internal bezels!

The bezel in this one is metal but I think it has the same problem It just rides against the crystal and the brass gear goes through the side of the case way too sloppy so when you turn the crown it binds there as well. Results a stripped crown. Not a good setup.

dmpmassive

The bezel in this one is metal but I think it has the same problem It just rides against the crystal and the brass gear goes through the side of the case way too sloppy so when you turn the crown it binds there as well. Results a stripped crown. Not a good setup.

I wonder if the state of reps will ever evolve such that a bit more goes into the guts of these things. I don't mean fancy movements and complications a la tide tables or astronomical calendars. I mean the amount of effort that goes into creating the case of a piece like an AP or the Hublot Diver. Why not stick a bearing or something better in it for the bezel so it's not just damage waiting to happen?

Bob Reed

I have to wonder myself. The case on this thing is an amazing work of art and then to put that really bad mechanism in it. It did have a nice movement in it as well but just that one bad part leaves the entire watch cheap.

xbb

I'm following your adventures into watch repair/ servicing with interest. This is something I'd love to get into. I've bought the RWG toolkit already but not sure what the next step is. Get some old movemenst I suppose and let rip. Not too sure where to source them though. There are old movements for sale on eBay, not sure if they are just junk or if it would be a useful exercise to start stripping them down.

Bob Reed

I don't know if everyone is interested in this so I have a PM inbound to you.

midasmook

Was this v1 of the diver ? I think the later ones have solved the problem you had.

kolchak

I don't know if everyone is interested in this so I have a PM inbound to you.

It's the white dial diver and either v1 or v2 since it didn't have the updated V3 rubber strap & buckle.

The inner bezel on my black V3 rotates perfectly.

Bob Reed

Well since the owner has posted I think it is safe to show picture of the completed project.....

IMG_20121223_164608.jpg

Focal

You screwed the top bezel wrong i think, the brushing is supposed to go from top to bottom, but great work!

Edited by Focal

Bob Reed

Hmmmmmmm I think you are right..... Looks like I will be pulling it back apart I did not even notice that until I posted this pic. I was tired....... See it is the small mistakes that I need to learn to not make...... Oh well.

J.Eric

Good job Bob!!

Bob Reed

Well that is why they call it "Practice"! :)

kolchak

Well since the owner has posted I think it is safe to show picture of the completed project.....

IMG_20121223_164608.jpg

thanks much for your conscientious efforts Bob! I hope you officially take the plunge into repair/mod work.

BTW - should bezel be rotated one more "click" clockwise? always hard to tell based on angle of the picture.

Happy Holidays !

Bob Reed

IMG_20121223_164608.jpg

thanks much for your conscientious efforts Bob! I hope you officially take the plunge into repair/mod work.

BTW - should bezel be rotated one more "click" clockwise? always hard to tell based on angle of the picture.

Happy Holidays !

It is the angle of the pic. Once I posted it I spent several minutes double checking that. Too bad I did not catch the "grain" issue myself...... What better place to QC a watch then here? :giggle: