RolexAddict

Daytona vintage : starting the saga

RolexAddict

........;;

Edited by RolexAddict

KinCaidk

WOW!!

I am holding my breath for part 2.

Thank you for taking your time to post this...

dingle
:thumbsup2:....well done

sconehead

Great stuff RA, I really mean that as well. :thumbsup2:

I'm sure there are plenty of 'Tona nuts who will love this on the other forums too...perhaps we should make them aware of this post...;)

PatronSaintofChainsaws

That's odd about the lume dots. Both my Sport Time homage dials and my red/black and panda rep dials from DW had the lume dots.

RolexAddict

My first DIY Daytona is finsihed.

No good pics, to lazy to install a tripod and try to use my brain, and I remplace the DIY plexi ( which is good indeed) for a domed, so this creates distorsions and parasite light reflexions. Its just to give an idea

DW22.JPG

DW24.JPG

The slim case back is exactly like the gen watch. Now, when I look my other Daytona vintage... they look fat.

Solution : order separate slim case back and remove rotors...

DW25.JPG

All PN dials are vrong, here, a gen one. There is one mistake repeated by all rep makers, even on 400usd range dials called "gen, restaured by a professional"... stamped Singer... or what else... are vrong. A very simple detail...

DW23.jpg

Silverspeed

Wow what a great thread....very well done RA

normally i'm not interested in any vintage stuff....but the Vintage Daytona is great

KBH

Very nice! Makes me even happier with mine. I do see minor dial flaws, though.

DSCN3157.jpg

trailboss99

Thanks RA, I'm convinced and will order the bits soon.

Col.

RolexAddict

KBH, your Daytona is very nice with the metalic bezel, your dial looks sharp, the killing flaw is masked by the minutes hand from the minutes counter dial at 3,

anyway, only anals using a magnifying glass will see the "problem" -its not a problem, just anal- BUT DON'T BRING YOUR WATCH IN A AUCTION SALOON, or ask for cash and give a false name and adress.... and then, when you get your 40 - 70K €, leave fast for Bahamas under a new ident... :thumbsup:

I will make other pics, more sharp, of mine soon, if time

speedzmaster

RolexAddict, can you please give us noobs a brief overview of the movements that can be used in the Daytona's? I'm confused about how the V7750 (with seconds at 9) can be used with this dial. I love your Daytona posts! Very insightful!!!

RolexAddict

Vintage style Daytonas (62XX...) cases from Spinmaster, DW, DIY, and even all from dealers - only those with a 7750 sec. at 9 - accept all kind of the following Valjoux and Asian Valjoux copies movements:

old V72series, V727 series, gen Valjoux and A7750 and A7760 with the sec. at 9 configuration. All these movements have the same thickness and diameter and fixture by 2 screws and tabs.

The A7760 is a A7750 which is manual winding.

On the A7750 auto the rotor has to be removed as the Spin, DW and DIY casesbacks are thinner like on the gen watches. The A7750 works fine by hand winding with a removed rotor. No necessary to disassemble the auto gears.

The assymetrical pushers configuration is absolutely not a problem.

The only thing which need mod from one movement to another will be to shorten the length of the pusher arms .

This could be a little tricky as the chrono fonctions have very short tolerances to operate properly -I mean the puscher arms travel distance to engage-

and of course adapt the specific stem

Edited by RolexAddict

trailboss99
RolexAddict, can you please give us noobs a brief overview of the movements that can be used in the Daytona's? I'm confused about how the V7750 (with seconds at 9) can be used with this dial. I love your Daytona posts! Very insightful!!!

Mate, early Daytonas are seconds at nine thus the 7750 is correct. The subdials are just a little too close together but it's a very near thing, maybe a half mm.

Col.

RolexAddict

Mate, early Daytonas are seconds at nine thus the 7750 is correct. The subdials are just a little too close together but it's a very near thing, maybe a half mm.

Col.

Sorry I didnt read well this morning, I had to leave home fast..

trailboss is right, the sub-dial problem is only with old Valjoux movements, the difference is 0.6mm to be precise. This is nothing, with a 10X magnifying glass and micro tools its easy to enlarge the dial holes. The rounded base of sub-dial hands will cover the "trick"

imho, at this level, nobody will care about sub-dial spacing. I would look more for a very sharp printed dial with vrong spacing, than a junk with perfect sub-dial spacing

speedzmaster

What I still don't understand is that the Daytona's have subdials at 3, 6 and 9. The Valjoux 7750 has subdials at 6, 9 and 12. How can this be modded for a Daytona dial? :D

RolexAddict
What I still don't understand is that the Daytona's have subdials at 3, 6 and 9. The Valjoux 7750 has subdials at 6, 9 and 12. How can this be modded for a Daytona dial? :thumbsup2:

Depend of models,

On all gen 7750 and Asian copies, between the dial and the background movement there is the complications "module" which consists of a sub-dial arrangements plate with gears train and day, date features... depending the watch model.

For exemple some Tudor chrono watches use the 6,9,12 sb-dial configuration.

If you buy a separate A7750-60 movement from rep makers and say is for a Daytona, they will sell you the one with the 3,6,9 sub-dials configuration.

These modules (gear plates) have two options: running sec.at 9 for old models, or running sec.at 6 for modern Daytonas.

Edited by RolexAddict

greg_r

Great tute, Guanaco - thanks for the link!

Guanaco

No prob. :f_run:

Guanaco

Question: What would happen if I bought a complete Newman Daytona with A7750 from the dealers [ http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/dayto...262-while-dial/ - I LOVE the brown sub-dials!], buy a slim case-back from DW, remove the rotor and replace case-backs? I mean, would it look the same?

Yep, I'm that ignorant towards this subject. :)

RolexAddict
Question: What would happen if I bought a complete Newman Daytona with A7750 from the dealers [ http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/dayto...262-while-dial/ - I LOVE the brown sub-dials!], buy a slim case-back from DW, remove the rotor and replace case-backs? I mean, would it look the same?

Yep, I'm that ignorant towards this subject. :)

Guanaco, your question is interresting.

Normally, I should work. The appelation is vrong, its a 6265 model. Idead, the dial is gorgeous, its a good "Big Eyes" rep. The missing red printed DAYTONA is correct. These dials don't have, according Guido Mondani and Stephano Mazzariol books.

But the case is "wrong" he doesn't have assymetrical pushers.

Uncertainties :

- check with the dealer if this watch has a 39mm bezel diameter. Because some dealers sell vintage Daytonas with big 40mm diameter cases.

- check also if the case has the correct engravings between lugs should be written 6263 or 6265, no 6262, it doesn't exist

If puretime has the same maker source than Josh for these models, the cases backs could be swapped. But non-assymetrical pushers

I would say, with the doubt, buy the watch from Puretime and buy a complete case set from David and swap. So you will have also a bakelite bezel and spare parts like plexi and pushers. This should be (imho) the best option for you. I did this for myself and I am very happy

solkryssare

What a great write up mate! Thank you.

scope

Can not wait for part two! Thanks Rolexaddict.

Guanaco

Yep, I'm that ignorant towards this subject. :notworthy:

Guanaco, your question is interresting.

Normally, I should work. The appelation is vrong, its a 6265 model. Idead, the dial is gorgeous, its a good "Big Eyes" rep. The missing red printed DAYTONA is correct. These dials don't have, according Guido Mondani and Stephano Mazzariol books.

But the case is "wrong" he doesn't have assymetrical pushers.

Uncertainties :

- check with the dealer if this watch has a 39mm bezel diameter. Because some dealers sell vintage Daytonas with big 40mm diameter cases.

- check also if the case has the correct engravings between lugs should be written 6263 or 6265, no 6262, it doesn't exist

If puretime has the same maker source than Josh for these models, the cases backs could be swapped. But non-assymetrical pushers

I would say, with the doubt, buy the watch from Puretime and buy a complete case set from David and swap. So you will have also a bakelite bezel and spare parts like plexi and pushers. This should be (imho) the best option for you. I did this for myself and I am very happy

Wonderful, thanks a lot mate! How could I be so blind? I didn't notice it had different bezels, D'oh! lol, do you know if DW has the white dial with brown sub-dials available?

Also, for aging a dial and bezel, does leaving it outside in the sun works? I'm a bit uneasy using coffee grinds, bleach [bezel], and whatnot.

RolexAddict
Can not wait for part two! Thanks Rolexaddict.

work in progress, just a little busy right now

Wonderful, thanks a lot mate! How could I be so blind? I didn't notice it had different bezels, D'oh! lol, do you know if DW has the white dial with brown sub-dials available?

Also, for aging a dial and bezel, does leaving it outside in the sun works? I'm a bit uneasy using coffee grinds, bleach [bezel], and whatnot.

You should ask him, I don't think so, he has only the PN black and cream. Beware of the cream with the red DAYTONA, it is vrong, on 6263 and 6265 screwed pushers cases- PN dials don't have the red DAYTONA on the top of the subdial at 6.

He has also a classic black but without the word OYSTER made only for non-screwed pushers cases

This dial from puretime is excellent, Josh has also 2 daytona 6263 with the classic champagne dial and a classic black, they are also excellent. I would be tried to mail him to ask if he could sell these dials appart. Normally for good customers he gives an extra dial when buying a watch. But buying a watch just to get a free extra dial... :fearlessleader:

For aging I did this only on black dials, its easy as they are black, to play with a dull fixative spray and lume material for the patina. For white and champagne style I never tested. To get a yellow tarnish I would test backing in a kitchen oven, or using candle heat on the back side of the dial, or yes, coffee or tea.

I have a no good PN cream, I will experiment a mixture of clear grease and yellow/brown color powder I got from an artist material shop, not sure if it works... just spreading the pasta, make it penetrates in the porosity, wipe and dry it...

Edited by RolexAddict