Sign in to follow this  
parafund

How do you oil movements?

parafund

Hi Guys,

What is the best way to oil / service automatic movements? I just received a Panerai and it makes a rubbing noise when the spinning thing :catfight: (I don't knoe its actual name, Im sure someone will tell me) moves.

Is there somewhere I can but the oil for this purpose as well.

Thanks for your help :wabbitysex:

graman

Hey there mate.

Sounds like the rotor is loose.

Take the back off, and screw it up...then check for the noise...All rotors make some noise.

Cheers

trailboss99

Yup, lose rotor more than likely but since I see Offshore down there I'll leave it to the expert.

BTW, welcome mate!

Col.

greg_r

Welcome to RWG!

All automatics suffer some rotor noise - particularly the A7750 movement. Ultimately it depends on how noisy it is - if the rotor appears to be loose that will need to be rectified, but otherwise I'd leave well alone unless you know what you're doing. Might be worth getting a watchsmith to have a look at it, but some noise is normal.

parafund

Thank you all for your help. Trailboss we need to have a GTG sometime.

trailboss99

Ya, we do. I was planning a Brisbane one when I got the call to take over RWI. That kinda slowed me up a bit :catfight:

Mate, if you have anything that needs servicing get it too me and I'll take care of it at the right price. DIY oiling involves an allmost total striping of the MVT so it's not realy an easy job. You will be needing a tool kit such as the one sold in the RWG/RWI shops, a cheap MVT to pratice on and a copy of the TimeZone watchmakers course if you want to learn how to.

Col.

parafund

Hi Trailboss, I have bought one of the tool kits you have advertised. I have played with some old watches and greesed the seals in my omega rep. I need rolex openers for my reps as well. I am trying to learn how to fix watches. I will need to create a box so as not to loose small parts. Where can I find the timezone watchmakers course?

Regards

trailboss99

For parts you need a few of these: PARTS TRAYS At under 4 bucks they are the best option. For Rolex openers THIS ONE is the go. Unlike a lot of these the dies in this kit are a propper fit to the caseback. Took us a long time to find this 'un and it's a beaut!

Col.

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse Para! Lot's of great info here as well as members. :kinkythegayviking:

cybee
Is there somewhere I can but the oil for this purpose as well.

Hi parafund..Seems like you already received some good advice but here's a couple pics for you anyway.

I just finished doing this to my old Sub. It's one oiling technique even novices like us can do.

I am assuming your rotor has bearings of course. First, make sure the rotor is clean, then apply two drops of 9010 oil on each side of the ball bearings with an oiler or some kind of applicator..Spin the rotor in both directions to distribute the oil. Make sure the rotor screw is secure and that's it. :lol:

StemandRotorLubingMedium.jpg

StemandRotorLubing024Medium.jpg

AllergyDoc

I just open her up and spray a little WD40...

Not really. Follow the experts advise; they won't lead you astray.

cybee
I just open her up and spray a little WD40...

are we talking about watches??? :lmao2::lol: