Sign in to follow this  
Planemo

Another JLC Master Geographic from WI

Planemo

Another quick review for the Master Geo from Watch International. My one arrived around 14 days after posting but that included covering the xmas and New Year break. Dealing with WI was great as always. I'm not going to cover stuff that has already been reviewed, but just a few observations from myself as a relative noob.

1. On checking the watch, the first thing I noticed was the alignment on the Jaeger text under the 12 marker. It's noticeably slanted and it's something I didn't pick up on the QC pics as it was partially covered by the hour and second hands. This as well as my noobishness let it slip un-noticed. Totally my fault, but something for future buyers to bear in mind if you are super fussy.

2. I then noticed the apparent difference in font on the 12 numerals. The '1' looks much thicker than the '2', which seems to have a thinner section along most of it's length, although the 'foot' is about the same thickness as the '1'. Again, totally my fault that I didn't see this on the QC pic.

3. The 4 hour marker is too close to the lume dot and out of alignment. The 8 hour marker is also a little too close to the lume dot. Both are showing on my QC pic. Are we seeing a pattern here...?

4. The movement is noticeably jerkier than my 2836 and 7750 watches. I hadn't looked into the movement fitted to these JLC models and wasn't aware that the Seagull is a low beat movement. Again, totally my fault due to lack of research, the sheer low cost of the thing ($200 delivered) should have rung alarm bells but oh no I had 'I want it now' ringing in my head.

In short, let me make this VERY clear, WI have been perfect and have sent me exactly what I asked for. The QC pics show ALL of the alignment/font issues I have noted above but I didn't look carefully enough. Truth be told I still would have ordered the watch as it is awesome for the price and fits the bill for me as a dress watch perfectly. The materials and quality of finish is absolutely top notch, I just wish I knew why so many reps have slight alignment problems when they can get everything else so right, like cases/dials etc which you would think are much more labour intensive. In contrast to previous reviews, I actually think the strap looks really good, even up close, but then I'm no expert on leather/croc straps.

I will try and do some more pics, the one below doesn't do the finish justice at all.

For any potential buyers, if you can live with the (very) minor faults on this rep, you won't be disappointed for this money :)

1357323212608_zps6bdfa345.jpg

AstroAvia

I love this watch (the replica, I mean) and I don't care about its inaccuracies because we'll never see a 1:1 of it. That said, however, I would not accept the issues your examplar comes with!