Sign in to follow this  
gcooley1

Where to Sell my Gen Watch

gcooley1

I'd like to sell my Gen Ebel 1911 18k Gold watch so I can buy a bunch of Reps.

I tried ebay but didn't have any luck. Does anyone know the best place to sell used gen watches for the most $$? The gold alone is worth a good amount. I'm hoping to get $4,500-$5,000. It's in almost perfect condition.

EDIT NOTE: Pic and price is too much like a sales thread, sorry.

Edited by seclark007

NFleischer

HI and welcome. You may try Timezone.com, not sure of the requirements for sellers. There are other Gen Forums also.

IMO- I doubt you will get the kind of money you're looking for with that watch. Ebels are nice watches but are heavily discounted new by the gray market

sellers like Jomashop, Overstock, etc. I'm not sure why, may have something to do with the fact they are owned now by Movado.

Good luck!

rhounsell

Watchuseek forum is always an option as well.

offshore

Try http://www.watchrecon.com/ They will have listings from multiple forums, so you will get good exposure. You need to list it on one of the connected forums.

Like someone previous, I doubt you will see good $$ unless you find that one special buyer who just has to have it.

O/S

fuplayer

I sold a couple of gen Rollie's back to the merchant I bought them from and was happy with the deal.

houndoggie

Cruising watch recon I find that stainless ebel like yours go for $800-$1000. Two tone for about $1200. All gold like yours ( is it plated or solid) maybe fetch a little more.

gcooley1

thanks everyone, I wasn't trying to sell it to you guys:) I've just never sold any watches before.. I will see what gen forums I can come up with.

James.

awwwww pic please? Mr Mod man, Sean :lol:

James.

Ahhhh nice. I reckon you should be able to egt around $1-1.5k for it.

gcooley1

Well I hope i'd get more than that...the 90 grams of 18k gold on it should bring at least $2k...maybe I should just melt it?

gcooley1

but a newbie like me could be completely wrong about it all! I just want a watch that looks like a $30k watch that only cost me <$1,000. That's why i'm here:)

James.
gcooley1

The first one is it, except it's quartz. Looks like $3k might be the going rate? Either way it might be a tough sell. I can't wait to start buying reps and not worrying about it!

Caliper

I think its better for you to go to an appraisal to get an idea on how much its worth in its condition.

Or perhaps worst case scenario, look for gen Ebel forum and see if you can sell it there.

houndoggie

Well I hope i'd get more than that...the 90 grams of 18k gold on it should bring at least $2k...maybe I should just melt it?

you removed the movement and crystal and weighed it?

saw your ad on WUS.

No one in there right mind would by a used Ebel quartz for $4500, gold case or not.

sorry.

Realism

sellers like Jomashop, Overstock, etc. I'm not sure why, may have something to do with the fact they are owned now by Movado.

Ebel recently got out of the male watch arena... sold their chrono movt rights to UN and decided to concentrate on quartz female watches

Realism

you removed the movement and crystal and weighed it?

saw your ad on WUS.

No one in there right mind would by a used Ebel quartz for $4500, gold case or not.

sorry.

+1M to common sense... real weight in gold is probably less than that.... $4.5K gets you a brand new PO 8500....

offshore

Are you sure you have 90 grams?

I just weighed an IWC WITH a solid gold bracelet @ 64grams, (without movement and crystal)

That gave it a wholesale A$1500 for 18K. gold content.

So as an IWC vintage will sell in the $2500 bracket, it doesn't go to the smelter.

I think your Ebel will be like 45 grams or less when weighed as case only. ( Gold only)

Offshore.

thunder92

I'd post again on ebay and also go by some local watch shops that buy watches. Very possible that the one person who wants one like that may just not have seen the ad last time it was listed.

sequoia

I always had good luck selling gen's(Breitling & Tag) on Ebay though never sold a gold watch. My experience is Ebay ends up getting you pretty close to the going rate for a watch. (For better or worse)

BigDee62

Don't flame me if this is obvious/well-known but ... before I EVER post something for sale on eBay, I look at "Completed" listings, to see what comparable items have sold for recently. Search for your watch on eBay, then look for the checkbox for completed listings.

Any item is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Seems to me that the completed listings on eBay is the best way to gauge what the market is willing to pay (I'd be glad to hear about any better/alternative approaches).

trailboss99

It's quartz, it's worth it's gold price and no more.

There is no way you will get anything like 4.5k for that as no one is going to buy a SG quartz Ebel.