Sign in to follow this  
GC

"Ultimate" DSSD...a pictorial

GC

First off I would like to thank Mary at WatchInternational, she is a phenominal dealer and made my first rep purchase a true delight. It realy is true what they say, "Choose your dealer, than your watch"!... I found my dealer!

I would also like to thank everyone here who helped a newbie like myself not get lost in the world of reps, your insight and guidence have left me humbled.

Since the DSSD has been reviewed to death, through it's many many versions, by more experienced rep aficionados than myself, I'll do most of my talking through pics. This is the "Ultimate" version, strait out of the box with no mods, with the new 316F steel, aqua blue lume on hands, markers & pearl (all perfectly matching I might add!) and an ETA 2836 movt' (I opened it up just long enough to grease the rubber seal and there is no doubt it is a genuine ETA, Swiss or Chinese assembled is anyones guess).

The ceramic bezel on this piece is a combination of mirror like properties combined with the beauty of liquid steel... it really has to be seen to be appreciated. And befor it get's mentioned, yes it has the incorrect 10 bezel, but Mary was kind enough to source a corrected bezel for me just in case I couldn't live with the incorrect one. In all honesty, even though I'm OC about a lot of things, it doesn't bother me in the least. If it ever does wind up bothering me it's nice to know I already have the replacement handy.

DSSDAPS.jpg

Photographing this piece strait on is almost impossible because of the domed crystal, it took me forever to get it just right!

Oh look...i can still see a slight reflection :)

IMG_2155.jpg

The brushed satin finish on the bracelet as well as the mirror polish on the sides of the case and bracelet are flawless, the He valve looks perfectly recessed to me. There is zero play in the bezel, it lines up perfectly with the hour markers, which I luv! The overall fit and finsh and the fit of the lugs to the case is remarkable.

IMG_2172.jpg

Here is a shot on the rocks!

Rolex045.jpg

I think I got super lucky because the rehaut is perfectly alligned, i.e. the bold "OGEV" sits exactly between 10 & 2 o'clock & the "RLS" exactly one and a half dashes after 7 & one and a half dashes befor 5 o'clock. What I also noticed is the the bold engravings are not too thick nor too deeply engraved which looks phenominal. The inner rehaut "ROLEX" engravings are almost perfectly alligned, I say almost because some of the R's and X's don't always match up to the hour markers. More importantly, at least to me, is the engraved crown sits perfectly at the 12' o'clock position.

Rolex051.jpg

The Glide Lock System functions really smoothly, not to metion it's super cool! In all truth, it's one of the reasons I bought this watch.

IMG_2188.jpg

The markings on the case back & bracelet are very crisp and as far as I can tell spot on with a gen.

IMG_2161.jpg

The crown winds the ETA movt' like butter, the rotor as would be expected is noiseless. The sweep of the 28,8k movt' is a masterpiece, and yes I'm comparing it to my gen Rolex which was sadly stolen.

IMG_2162.jpg

The laser etched crown, which can only be seen with magnification (or serious amounts of squinting and catching it exactly in the right light...I know because I tried) sits precisly at the 6 o'clock position.

Rolex058.jpg

And lastly a lume shot which I took a few days after the original post, hope it's ok to add it late!

IMG_2078PS.jpg

This watch is truly the definition of a "Super Rep", it has flaws, but flaws I can totaly live with. Needless to say I'm blown away, flabergasted and speachless all at the same time! Right now I must be the happiest guy on the block because my grin spans ear to ear! :(

Thanks for let'n me share

GC

avenger007

Looks great, G. Awesome pics as usual.

pedecter

Wow! I may finally break down. Niiiiice pix

pmwc78

Great review Guy! Attention to detail and great pics as usual. I'm glad you found one of these to jump into the rep world with. Congrats man!

KBH

Very nice pictorial/review, GC.

That's a watch I love and hate. I love the looks when I see the pictures, particularly ones as nice as yours. But I, unfortunately, got a highly flawed early one which soured me on it early. And I never felt it wore comfortably. Just a little too bulky.

But glad you're enjoying yours. That what it's all about.

Luthier

Great pictorial, and great dealer, congrats!!!

Did I miss something? Oh, yes... great watch too, next on my list.

Now we'll wait mandatory wristshot, and, probably, blue lume shot.

Thanks!

Kudos to sweet Mary too!!!

P.S. How about the picture of bezel with correct 10 near not-so-correct 10?

:(

madcatlancelot

Excellent review, G! A fine watch for a fine multilingual gentleman. :( The DSSD is a beautiful watch, it's too big for me to wear so I use this instead.

http://www.colemanitis.com/deepsea.swf

You've got mad photography skills too.

greg_r

Great review of my favourite Rolex. I must pick one of these up at some point (I have a v2 'lite' which is nice, but not in this league) Congrats GC!

KinCaidk

Great pics and great review GC...

I might be getting me one of these, someday :)

GC

Thank you all for the super kind comments, I'm truly humbled. And for those of you on the fence about this model (you know who you are), all I can say is "don't deny yourself the pleasure" it really is a phenominal timepiece! I think it goes without say'n but Mary is "the one"!!!

SliceMaster

Very nice review mate...is it possible to buy just the bracelet..I really like the look of that buckle, and would it fit to a Submariner..anyone knows??

Rolex029-1.jpg

Silverspeed

Very beautiful pics GC...very classy :)

Your DSSD looks very good

dingle
Very beautiful pics GC...very classy :)

+1,000,000,000.....:D

coolfire

The shot of the laser-etched coronet must have been a bitch to take! And yes, like someone has mentioned, you have crazy photography skills!!

Wear it in good health, my friend.... I love my DSSD from Mary too! :)

GC
Very nice review mate...is it possible to buy just the bracelet..I really like the look of that buckle, and would it fit to a Submariner..anyone knows??

Rolex029-1.jpg

Slice,

I do believe the bracelets are sold on their own but I don't believe they will fit a Submariner because of the 21mm SEL width. I know they offer the new Glide Lock bracelets with 20mm SELs for the ceramic bezel Subs but don't know if those are also sold seperatly.

Very beautiful pics GC...very classy :lol:

SS,

Thank you very much! There are not up to par with yours yet, maybe oneday...?

The shot of the laser-etched coronet must have been a bitch to take! And yes, like someone has mentioned, you have crazy photography skills!!

Wear it in good health, my friend.... I love my DSSD from Mary too! :)

Cool,

It was your pics of the DSSD that kept me sane while wait'n for mine to arrive...I owe ya!

And yes, the laser etched crown on the crystal was not easy to capture...to say the least. I was actually expecting it to be of incorrect size like on the Sub but happily the factories got it spot on!

sconehead

Great pictorial review G. Your pics are some of the best I've seen...what set-up do you use by the way?

helmet

Hey Guy, Its Great you finally got one of these, welcome to the DSSD club, I can tell you love it,, as do I. I think this is one of the most amazing reps and watches out there. I were mine way more than any of my gen watches that I own. Enjoy it and make sure you bring to AZ at the end of the month,, I would love to see yours in person.

GC
Great pictorial review G. Your pics are some of the best I've seen...what set-up do you use by the way?

Thanks SH,

I don't really use a "set-up", I shoot with a cheap P&S Canon SD1000 on a black formica table top.

Hey Guy, Its Great you finally got one of these, welcome to the DSSD club, I can tell you love it,, as do I. I think this is one of the most amazing reps and watches out there. I were mine way more than any of my gen watches that I own. Enjoy it and make sure you bring to AZ at the end of the month,, I would love to see yours in person.

Will do bro! I'm look'n forward to it!!!

Rats

Rolex029-1.jpg

I bought the clasp alone from Mary $40 US

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse helmet. :thumbsup2:

killgarh

Fabulous watch !!! How much does it cost ?

amust

WOW What a beauty she is. How much you end up spending on it if you don't mind me asking? So Mary is you rep I see. I might have to look her up on here lol, Ive been eye bowing the DSSD for a while now that watch. Man there's so many good ones out there. You have a great great looking one again and also great pics.

Member X

Great eye for pics, I can't believe I've not opened this thread before!

Is that a correctly bevelled date window I see?

Rolex051.jpg

dmisgod

That's an awesome watch GC, definatley on my wish-list.

barkingtoad

Rolex029-1.jpg

Slice PWC told me the buckle does fit the sub bracelet but only the new style one like this

IMG_0448.jpg

fantastic pictures Curcio it definitely put this watch on my next purchase list