Sign in to follow this  
AustinTech

What do you guys think of G-Shocks?

AustinTech

Some people worship at the foot of the G-Shock. Just check out WUS’s Casio G-Shock section.

I, however, find many of them to be kinda ugly and “nerdy†looking.

Nevertheless, sometimes I need a tough, waterproof, shock-proof watch that I can beat the hell out of on the weekends. Alarms and stuff are nice when camping or even when hanging out at the neighborhood pool. Or when working out.

So I’ve been checking out G-shocks. Think I’m going to buy one… Anyone think a particular one looks good? What do you think of them in general. (BTW - I am a giant-sized American, so I don't have to worry about looking like an Asian "cool-guy")

Flame-on!

greg_r

I think they look like a pile of foetid, steaming, hippopotamus excrement... I would rather die painfully, drowning in elephant urine than wear something that completely, irretrievably, terminally, craptacular-looking.

Oh, and I would rather strap a warthog to my arm...

Other than that, they're fine :D

(well, you did say flame :))

dingle
I think they look like a pile of foetid, steaming, hippopotamus excrement... I would rather die painfully, drowning in elephant urine than wear something that completely, irretrievably, terminally, craptacular-looking.

Other than that, they're fine :D

(well, you did say flame :))

damn G. Why don't you really state what's on your mind. :rofl:

AT---everybody and there mother wears them down here. They look at my watch and wonder where the digital #s are.....:rofl:

AustinTech

:)

Strap a warthog to my arm!!!!!

:D

KBH

I'm with Greg. You might as well get a Timex.

AustinTech

DO you guys just think they are ugly, or is it mostly an aversion to digital watches?

greg_r
DO you guys just think they are ugly, or is it mostly an aversion to digital watches?

Both, although I believe there are some analogue models in the G-Shock range. They've still been beaten with the ugly stick, though. Repeatedly. I've seen malignant growths that were better looking than that watch :)

dingle

all digital watches are ugly IMO, however, they do have their uses. :)

KBH

So do condoms but that doesn't mean you should wear them in public.

dingle

:)

AustinTech

I might have to wear something like that in front of my clients. Two have said something about paying me too much cause I am 31 and have better watches than them.

Haters. Next time I'll wear a damn G-Shock, as not to hurt their fragile egos. Or I can raise my charges and really piss em off.

greg_r

:D:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Post of the day! :)

aneki

I like the Mr G model tbh.

trailboss99
I might have to wear something like that in front of my clients. Two have said something about paying me too much cause I am 31 and have better watches than them.

Haters. Next time I'll wear a damn G-Shock, as not to hurt their fragile egos. Or I can raise my charges and really piss em off.

Maybe one like this?

Bling-G.jpg

Or this?

pharrells-gshock-gold-540x405.jpg

Gshock is as tough as they come but not pretty that's for sure. But if you want a watch to take anything, this is the one. I'd go for the MudMan Mill Spec:

g9000ms-1_large.jpg

G9000MS Casio Mudman G shock Military Series.

The new military inspired series represents some of the very best

of the tough and durable designs from the G-Shock ORIGIN and

MASTER OF G line-ups. Featuring a stealth, matte black finish to

the band and case including the watch buttons that are ion plated

to a black finish. Other key features include Mud and Dirt Resistant,

Dual 1/100 Second Stopwatches and Auto Dual EL Backlight.

Shock Resistant <li>Mud Resistant <li>Auto Dual EL Backlights with Afterglow <li>Low Temperature Resistant (-20 C/-4 F) <li>World Time <li>29 time zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off <li>1/100 second stopwatch (ST1) <li>Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99" <li>Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times <li>Other: Auto-Start <li>1/100 second stopwatch (ST2) <li>Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99" <li>Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times <li>Countdown timer <li>Measuring unit: 1 second <li>Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments) <li>Others: Auto-repeat, progress beeper <li>4 Multi-function alarms & 1 snooze alarm <li>Hourly time signal <li>Full auto-calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099) <li>12/24 hour formats <li>Button operation tone on/off <li>Flash alert <li>Accuracy: +/- 15 seconds per month <li>Battery CR2025 <li>Approx. battery life: 3 years <li>Module 3031 Size of case / total weight

G9000MS 52.0 x 46.3 x 16.3mm / 56g

Or the tripple sensor with the lot:

protrek.jpg

Casio ProTrek Black Titanium Triple Sensor 80 PRG-80YT-1VDR

This the latest one the VDR not V please do not confuse the two

Casio watches are at the forefront of all pioneering technology especially

when related to watches. Pro Trek casio watches are a tough watch for the outdoor person.

• Type: Digital
  • Case dim: 62.3 x 52.2 x 14.4mm
  • Movement: Solar Powered Quartz
  • Water resistance: 100M
  • Electro-luminescent backlight
  • Full auto EL light, afterglow
  • Solar powered
  • Low-temperature Resistant
  • Digital Compass, Altimeter
  • Barometer, Thermometer
  • Duplex LC display
  • 1/100-second stopwatch
  • Countdown timer
  • Daily alarms, Hourly time signal
  • Battery power indicator, Power Saving
  • Auto-calendar, 12/24-hour format
  • Accuracy: 15 seconds per month

The MudMan is the issue watch for the OZ armed forces. As Fakey says "When you absolutly, positivily have to kill someone on time, go quartz".

Col.

NFleischer

sorry- can't wear those digital things- except maybe to the gym.

trailboss99
That military one ain't bad. (G9000MS Casio Mudman G shock Military Series)

I am also looking at this one...

Casio GW9000A-1 Men's G-Shock Mud Man Atomic Watch

http://cgi.ebay.com/Casio-GW9000A-1-Mens-G...789802213095532

Ya well that's a whole lot cheaper than the Mill Spec MM. The MS is tougher than your average MM and has features like red lighting to save your night vision, instant sound on/off and more timers than you can poke a stick at. Mind you for 95 bucks that is one nice watch. I wish we had the radio time signal here, this would make a great master clock for the bench and market duty. As it is I just use my Seiko 7A38 anologe, six seconds a year is close enough!

Col.

fakemaster

Nothing wrong with G Shocks. I'd look at a Suunto too.

Luthier

Other than that, they're fine :daffy:

(well, you did say flame :D)

damn G. Why don't you really state what's on your mind. :finger:

AT---everybody and there mother wears them down here. They look at my watch and wonder where the digital #s are.....:thud:

He meant it's cheap ugly shit.

;)

scropper

Although not a watch I'd wear all the time, G-Shocks definitely have their uses... I'd go as far as to say, they're probably 'best in breed' - like Ari Gold. :D

Like a gold loin-cloth pin, they also really suit certain looks in certain fashions - can't knock them for that just because it's not your cup of tea - possibly simply because they come in just about every colour known to man though.

And hey, at the end of the day chaps, any watch at all is better than no watch at all....

S

phaedo

G shocks were cool when I was 12, hell I even replaced the strap with a cool velcro 'rip curl' surfie one, those things rocked back then! But today? I ain't a kid no more.

What's wrong with going prepared?

scropper
G shocks were cool when I was 12, hell I even replaced the strap with a cool velcro 'rip curl' surfie one, those things rocked back then! But today? I ain't a kid no more.

You may no longer be a kid, but I think with regard to G-Shocks (and other cheap fashion things), the term 'kid' applies to anyone in the 10-25 bracket.... There may well be 25yr olds and younger on the forum, no? I myself am 24... but am not a huge fan of the G Shock to be honest, although I know others that are.

S

mad dawg

Well for those who dislike G-Shock, name a better watch in the same category. I reckon there is none better!

There is not better watch for any kind of extreme activity; paint balling, mountain biking, rock climbing, bull riding, cage fighting, sex with my ex... Not only that they come in in mega funky colours, you have to give it Casio for providing the consumer with alternative choice.

I LOVE them!

MD

(PS I only own a single rep G-Shock. It was free!)

graman

:):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Post of the day! :)

Brilliant!....I love it!

graman

Maybe one like this?

Bling-G.jpg

Or this?

pharrells-gshock-gold-540x405.jpg

Gshock is as tough as they come but not pretty that's for sure. But if you want a watch to take anything, this is the one. I'd go for the MudMan Mill Spec:

g9000ms-1_large.jpg

G9000MS Casio Mudman G shock Military Series.

The new military inspired series represents some of the very best

of the tough and durable designs from the G-Shock ORIGIN and

MASTER OF G line-ups. Featuring a stealth, matte black finish to

the band and case including the watch buttons that are ion plated

to a black finish. Other key features include Mud and Dirt Resistant,

Dual 1/100 Second Stopwatches and Auto Dual EL Backlight.

Shock Resistant <li>Mud Resistant <li>Auto Dual EL Backlights with Afterglow <li>Low Temperature Resistant (-20 C/-4 F) <li>World Time <li>29 time zones (48 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off <li>1/100 second stopwatch (ST1) <li>Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99" <li>Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times <li>Other: Auto-Start <li>1/100 second stopwatch (ST2) <li>Measuring capacity: 999:59'59.99" <li>Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times <li>Countdown timer <li>Measuring unit: 1 second <li>Countdown start time setting range: 1 minute to 24 hours (1-minute increments and 1-hour increments) <li>Others: Auto-repeat, progress beeper <li>4 Multi-function alarms & 1 snooze alarm <li>Hourly time signal <li>Full auto-calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099) <li>12/24 hour formats <li>Button operation tone on/off <li>Flash alert <li>Accuracy: +/- 15 seconds per month <li>Battery CR2025 <li>Approx. battery life: 3 years <li>Module 3031 Size of case / total weight

G9000MS 52.0 x 46.3 x 16.3mm / 56g

Or the tripple sensor with the lot:

protrek.jpg

Casio ProTrek Black Titanium Triple Sensor 80 PRG-80YT-1VDR

This the latest one the VDR not V please do not confuse the two

Casio watches are at the forefront of all pioneering technology especially

when related to watches. Pro Trek casio watches are a tough watch for the outdoor person.

• Type: Digital
  • Case dim: 62.3 x 52.2 x 14.4mm
  • Movement: Solar Powered Quartz
  • Water resistance: 100M
  • Electro-luminescent backlight
  • Full auto EL light, afterglow
  • Solar powered
  • Low-temperature Resistant
  • Digital Compass, Altimeter
  • Barometer, Thermometer
  • Duplex LC display
  • 1/100-second stopwatch
  • Countdown timer
  • Daily alarms, Hourly time signal
  • Battery power indicator, Power Saving
  • Auto-calendar, 12/24-hour format
  • Accuracy: 15 seconds per month

The MudMan is the issue watch for the OZ armed forces. As Fakey says "When you absolutly, positivily have to kill someone on time, go quartz".

Col.

Most of them are ugly as a hatfull of arseholes...see above...but to MD's point...great value for money, and nothing better in the market.

I'd get one personally, for solo man activities...ie camping etc....especially like the titanium one....

It's a bit like a swiss army dick........only it can't be worn as a condom...