Sign in to follow this  
Panerai1964

SEIKO Divers watches - Why do they depreciate so much

Panerai1964

Bought the attached (picture included) Seiko divers watch back in 1994 and it cost me a fortune then new costing £250. Its a Seiko 200 divers CAL 7N36 7AOB with the pepsi bezel. Absolutely fantastic watch, superbly reliable only needed a new battery 4 time since I bought it. What really annoys me though is the watches depreciation in value, I doubt Id get more than £80 quid now. SEIKO for the money are in my opinion the best watches out there. Cant understand why more people dont collect them.

Realism

Because they are not viewed as a luxury item and produced in greater numbers????

Think Patek, Rolex if you want watches that appreciate... even that you have to purchase "correctly" to see any returns

sconehead

...everyone who knows me outside of these forums knows I'm a watch guy...when they ask which of the mainstream high street brands to go for I always advise Seiko...and they are collectable, plenty of Seiko forums out there... ;)

skin_oi_skin

My grandfather bought a Pontiac fiero brand new; hardly ever drove it thinking it was going to be a collectors item. To him it was worth it's weight in gold; to everyone else it was worth the price of a used fiero. After 20 some years he did manage to sell it for a decent amount. The point is just because you see the value doesn't mean everyone does. You just have to find the right person; somewhere someone wants that watch and is willing to pay the value they see in it as well.

jeffw69

It oh.....viewing topic......mazz68. :salute:

Electron17

I have quite a few Seiko's and love all of them. Just one mistake, I have 3 Seiko Kinetic watches and need to wear them all the time to keep them charged up so never get a chance to wear my beloved reps. Started collecting Seiko's before I joined here and have always found them to be the most reliable watches and tough as nails. Even got a few in my cupboard I ahve never worn. seiko's are great watches for the money you pay for them.

seclark007

yup, gotta agree with sconey...wait until Mazz reads this. :)

I have more Seiko's now than I do reps...everything from a quartz TT world timer and "stormtrooper" Helmet, to a couple of 7002's and my latest, a 6309 GMT mod. I'd like to add a SPORK and would really love to have a MM.

I love em, personally.

S

gtwc

OP : 2 points----------

1) NO Picture was included in your post

2) you are using the signon as Panerai - lost the Seiko love?

Seriously, if you bought a new car 3 or 4 years ago - would you expect to get a decent return on it?

A 20 yr old Seiko that is offering a 30% return seems good value.

Think on it.

Electron17

Here are some of my Seiko's

072_zps2393d9a8.jpg

070_zpsa9ce414d.jpg

069_zps8bb09e0c.jpg

yawn

Recently planning to buy a grand seiko gmt, I believe it ll hold value.

Electron17

And 2 more!

0022_zps92fb0d43.jpg

0012_zps5524fff5.jpg

Realism

Recently planning to buy a grand seiko gmt, I believe it ll hold value.

If you buy a gen to be a holder of value... you're better off with a platinum bar

Panerai1964

gtwc

Love replica Panerai's as well but for pure value for money it would be a SEIKO everytime.

Not sure what happened to the picture, I dragged it in from my desktop but it didnt appear to be saved. I cant see a attach icon on the toolbar. How do I attach a picture?

P.S I'm a newbie using this Forum and not particularly IT literate, can anyone advise!

Realism

gtwc

Love replica Panerai's as well but for pure value for money it would be a SEIKO everytime.

Not sure what happened to the picture, I dragged it in from my desktop but it didnt appear to be saved. I cant see a attach icon on the toolbar. How do I attach a picture?

P.S I'm a newbie using this Forum and not particularly IT literate, can anyone advise!

use photobucket... look @ the newbie section for a photobucket 101 tutorial

sconehead

...you need to host your pics at PB or flickr, then insert the code...;)

Mazz

Blasphemy I've paid quite a bit for some vintage Seikos. I'd say they depreciate as much as any other watch

Panerai1964

Electro 17

I like your SEIKO kenetic I would like to get the Cal SKA371P1 which is similar

Mazz

I see my GS and MM holding their value quite well in the next couple of years

sconehead

Blasphemy I've paid quite a bit for some vintage Seikos. I'd say they depreciate as much as any other watch

...vintage Rolex Subs?

:sofa:

Electron17

Electro 17

I like your SEIKO kenetic I would like to get the Cal SKA371P1 which is similar

Yes they are great watches the Kinetics but you have to wear them to keep the charge up. I have 3 Kinetics which is a mistake because it is hard going keeping them all going properly. The last picture is the oldest and does not hold the charge well so needs the most wearing.

Regards,

Jan

offshore

Most of the Japanese brands have far higher margins inbuilt, c/w say Swiss brands.

This is due to the way they are marketed.

An area for another discussion.

However we need to realise that Seiko and other brands are offered at "Gray market " level, at prices like 50% under ticket, within months of coming on to the market as new models.

And there is a further discount below Gray market prices. Which means that your $400 ticketed watch, can be as little as $200 at Gray market, and $100 as a true bottom wholesale/manufactured price.

These are extremes of the price range, but they are real.

So any watch or item for that matter, which can have 1/2 its ticketed price lopped like this, with a potential further slash if it is a very slow mover, can hardly assist that gleaming new in a box watch maintain its value.

Offshore

Mazz

...vintage Rolex Subs?

:sofa:

Not those prices but nothing to sneeze at either

jeffw69

Mazz, would you post a pic of your MM?

That is one Seiko that I really like.

sardonix

Like those Seiko colors got red and white so far.

jPJBx.jpg

gAD7u.jpg[/img]

Edited by sardonix

Mazz

9C761CE0-7267-4CC8-BB72-4DAFB2FF416D-5386-000011259100B0E9_zps9c4cef96.jpg

1323A834-BEB4-40EC-93B6-8202914FAE31-944-0000025CF4EB1C13.jpg