Sign in to follow this  
Panerai1964

SEIKO Divers watches - Why do they depreciate so much

Mazz

I think Seiko don't really need any marketing tips. I think they do quite well.

Also the now discontinued Perpetual Calander diver commands a fair premium

Mazz

Grand Seiko is mostly a JDM product they aren't really marketed in the west. Most are marketed and designed for the Japanese market

wat44

I think they need a HUGE lesson. They don't even register on brand lists. Hermes, LV, Rolex, etc kick their butts

trailboss99

Recently planning to buy a grand seiko gmt, I believe it ll hold value.

Yes it will.

Bought the attached (picture included) Seiko divers watch back in 1994 and it cost me a fortune then new costing £250. Its a Seiko 200 divers CAL 7N36 7AOB with the pepsi bezel. Absolutely fantastic watch, superbly reliable only needed a new battery 4 time since I bought it. What really annoys me though is the watches depreciation in value, I doubt Id get more than £80 quid now. SEIKO for the money are in my opinion the best watches out there. Cant understand why more people dont collect them.

Well for starters it's quartz.

Because they are not viewed as a luxury item and produced in greater numbers????

Think Patek, Rolex if you want watches that appreciate... even that you have to purchase "correctly" to see any returns

The majority of Rolex do not appreciate, anyone buying a new Rolex in the hope it's an investment is a fool.

The reason is very simple - it's japanese brand, not swiss, and you'll never impress anyone with Seiko. Sad, but a fact.

Except for Grand Seiko or Credor of cause

Wat, mate you just don't get it do you? GS were never supposed to be sold out side of Japan, the Seiko name is well respected in Japan so why would they use anything else? Yeah I know, you know better than the bosses of a multi million dollar multinational company, right? I think yo will also find that a lot of people have far more respect for the brand than you do.

trailboss99
They don't even register on brand lists. Hermes, LV, Rolex, etc kick their butts
Neither do a lot of companies who make a hell of a lot of money. You are looking at this wrong, you don't need to position yourself at the top of the tree to make money. In fact, I bet Seiko made more last year than a lot of the firms on your list.

Greenhat

If you never owned a Seiko ,very much doubt you ever will ,here is one of my ten Seikos imag0512x.jpg

Mazz

Recently planning to buy a grand seiko gmt, I believe it ll hold value.

Yes it will.

Bought the attached (picture included) Seiko divers watch back in 1994 and it cost me a fortune then new costing £250. Its a Seiko 200 divers CAL 7N36 7AOB with the pepsi bezel. Absolutely fantastic watch, superbly reliable only needed a new battery 4 time since I bought it. What really annoys me though is the watches depreciation in value, I doubt Id get more than £80 quid now. SEIKO for the money are in my opinion the best watches out there. Cant understand why more people dont collect them.

Well for starters it's quartz.

Because they are not viewed as a luxury item and produced in greater numbers????

Think Patek, Rolex if you want watches that appreciate... even that you have to purchase "correctly" to see any returns

The majority of Rolex do not appreciate, anyone buying a new Rolex in the hope it's an investment is a fool.

The reason is very simple - it's japanese brand, not swiss, and you'll never impress anyone with Seiko. Sad, but a fact.

Except for Grand Seiko or Credor of cause

Wat, mate you just don't get it do you? GS were never supposed to be sold out side of Japan, the Seiko name is well respected in Japan so why would they use anything else? Yeah I know, you know better than the bosses of a multi million dollar multinational company, right? I think yo will also find that a lot of people have far more respect for the brand than you do.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

Mazz

GH love to see a pic of your golden tuna

wat44

We are not discussing profitability.

wat44

And it's silly to say I'm saying I know more about branding than seiko. I said the brand management companies know more about brands than seiko do.

Japanese companies in general aren't very good at it.

sdiver

I'm real fan of Seiko divers watch

In my collection:

7549-7010

7549-7009

7c43

H558

sbbn007

Greenhat

GH love to see a pic of your golden tuna

Give me a Mo mazz and i will pop outside to the Shed and get it OK wish me luck and lets hope my spear jacket and goretex kit keeps me dry and warm , fucking cold in there -6

trailboss99

Wot? You didn't install a wood heater in there?

Greenhat

Wot? You didn't install a wood heater in there?

No don't want the field mice be too comfy, need a few of them in the house to keep my old woman on her toes

imag0522p.jpg

Mazz

Not one but two. Very nice GH

Mazz

Here is my MM300 on some new shoes thanks to Serge

154BE154-4482-470D-A631-0EDD6B313FE8-1721-0000041F955CB16D.jpg

Panerai1964

Trying again to post the picture of my SEIKO divers please let me know if you can see it now.

WatchPictures_zpsb828f1d6.jpg[/img]

Greenhat

Not one but two. Very nice GH

OCD Mazz I'm ashamed to say

Mazz

Nothing to apologize for especially with such a classic

Mazz

WatchPictures_zpsb828f1d6.jpg

You only need to put the IMG code once

Greenhat

Nothing to apologize for especially with such a classic

no not apologising for the Seikos about me buying things in 2