Sign in to follow this  
Panerai1964

SEIKO Divers watches - Why do they depreciate so much

TT88

Recently planning to buy a grand seiko gmt, I believe it ll hold value.

Yes it will.

Bought the attached (picture included) Seiko divers watch back in 1994 and it cost me a fortune then new costing £250. Its a Seiko 200 divers CAL 7N36 7AOB with the pepsi bezel. Absolutely fantastic watch, superbly reliable only needed a new battery 4 time since I bought it. What really annoys me though is the watches depreciation in value, I doubt Id get more than £80 quid now. SEIKO for the money are in my opinion the best watches out there. Cant understand why more people dont collect them.

Well for starters it's quartz.

Because they are not viewed as a luxury item and produced in greater numbers????

Think Patek, Rolex if you want watches that appreciate... even that you have to purchase "correctly" to see any returns

The majority of Rolex do not appreciate, anyone buying a new Rolex in the hope it's an investment is a fool.

The reason is very simple - it's japanese brand, not swiss, and you'll never impress anyone with Seiko. Sad, but a fact.

Except for Grand Seiko or Credor of cause

Wat, mate you just don't get it do you? GS were never supposed to be sold out side of Japan, the Seiko name is well respected in Japan so why would they use anything else? Yeah I know, you know better than the bosses of a multi million dollar multinational company, right? I think yo will also find that a lot of people have far more respect for the brand than you do.

They don't even register on brand lists. Hermes, LV, Rolex, etc kick their butts
Neither do a lot of companies who make a hell of a lot of money. You are looking at this wrong, you don't need to position yourself at the top of the tree to make money. In fact, I bet Seiko made more last year than a lot of the firms on your list.

+1

Council has spoken.

Wot? You didn't install a wood heater in there?

No don't want the field mice be too comfy, need a few of them in the house to keep my old woman on her toes

imag0522p.jpg

Fantastic duo!! :drool:

Realism

TB... if you bought a brand new Seiko... same thing will apply...

Like I said... you have to buy the watches at the right price and let someone else take the depreciation hit for you.

Looking at the $$ my PP and AP is selling used on TRF... no I am not losing any money... even for a quick sale... i would be only borrowing the watch for a no gain/ loss....

offshore

Back to the original question of why Seiko depreciates so much-

You need look no further than this post- http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=42847&hl=&fromsearch=1 by Dejavu

on special prices from Joma shop.( Which is a regular occurrence BTW)

82% discount on a Seiko?

Thats absurd, and just prostituting the brand.

My guess is Jomashop is the USA distributor and this is an American version of the HK grey market. ( I see no mention of box and papers or a Seiko warranty- which is in line with HK terms)

Nevertheless, I'm glad I didn't buy a new Seiko last month at full RRP, and find the distributor carving 82% off it a month later!

Thats just BS.

Offshore

wat44

ever seen Patek/AP/vacheron/lange/ 82% off?

BTW, I bought a new watch from jomashop - and they didnt send me any paperwork - not happy with them

no manual, a pamplet. instructions, certificate, NOTHING