Sign in to follow this  
toehh

Seiko Fifty Fathoms project (PIC HEAVY)

toehh

Hey everybody!

For christmas I got a seiko SNZH55K1, a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms homage.

I decided to make it into a Seiko FFF. I bought a dial from 10watches and a closed caseback and a lumed bezel insert from yobokies. Then I ordered a sailcloth strap from bradystraps, still waiting on that one.

NOTE that I am a n00b and I'm just trying to help some people. I am not saying you should do it like I do and I'm no expert. So here we go!

This was the watch before I modded it:

2012-12-27120547.jpg

Next I removed the bezel insert. First I removed the bezel by sticking a caseback opener under the bezel all around. After it came of I used a stanley knife blade to separate the bezel insert from the bezel.

2012-12-28153237.jpg

After that I cleaned the excess glue from the bezel with white spirit.

2012-12-28153303.jpg

When it was clean I installed the bezel again before glueing the insert. This helps lining up the bezel perfectly with the 12 o'clock marker :)

2012-12-28164621.jpg

Then I glued it with GS hypo cement. Just a few drops on the bezel. Look at this beautiful lumeeee :AT:

2012-12-28170420.jpg

But as you can see the lume on the bezel and hands doesn't match the dial lume. So next I will replace the dial.

To do this you remove the movement first. When you want to remove the stem on this movement you will have to press this part very carefully while pulling the stem.

stemrelease_zps8cf3a1c4.jpg

When you have the movement out, place it in your holder, let it run untill empty (don't know how to let down the mainspring on this one) and set the time to 0:00. Protect your dial with a little piece of paper or a dial protector. Then remove the hands with your handspuller.

Turn the movement around and you will see two points where the dial is held. Push out the pins and the dial will come loose.

2013-01-20120637.jpg

Then place back your hands. I always pick up the hands with a little rodico on a stiiick ( :giggle: for those who watch jeff dunham :P) and then I push the hand on with the back of something like this:

http://quill.scene7....wid=360&hei=360

Hands back on :) Check if the hands are clear of each other. Try to set the time to check it.

2013-01-20121850.jpg

Then just dust everything off and place the movement back in the case and you're done :woo:

2013-01-20123657.jpg

2013-01-20123846.jpg

2013-01-20123929.jpg

A pic of my workspace

2012-12-28175905.jpg

kieron1968

What a lush mod. Top marks.

I love it. Lumetastic.

Mazz

Very nice

WatchHubs

Nice Design, Hope you enjoy the watch with us. :D

Hazz

Nicely done, all you need now is the red second hand.

82F64BAD-475C-407E-B34E-66F2A10E1667-2165-00000150BC571314.jpg

HeavyKrush

Great project and fantastic write up.

toehh

Nicely done, all you need now is the red second hand.

82F64BAD-475C-407E-B34E-66F2A10E1667-2165-00000150BC571314.jpg

Yeah that looks awesome indeed. I'm planning to get some enamel paint and dip my original second hand in that.

toehh

Yeah I've seen them but I kinda like the original second hand and for $3 it's modded + I can use the paint for other things again. Will keep you posted ;)

gtwc

Very nice.

Great work - far braver than I am !

trailboss99

Nice, trailie likes.

Crespo

That looks great. Love it.

Thang

Very good tutorial. Thanks for sharing. I got to do this :)

andepad

Nice work!

Love the Glow on the Bezel!

... still waiting for stock on the FFF dial from Dagaz/10watches for my FFF mod

smokiedabong

How long does the lume on the dial last compared to the original Seiko hands? Doesn't look like C1.

toehh

The lume on the hands is a little brighter and more blue but in real life it doesn't bother as much.

SSTEEL

I'm just drooling over this watch, and looking forward to it being in my hands in a week or so. Toehh has been very kind in holding this watch for me from his sales thread due to my vacation etc.

Quick question, I know I should PM, but may as well ask here. Will the original Seiko dial be sent to me with the FFF, and other unused Seiko parts mate?

YoungGPS

Awesome job! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Earl Grey

Great post, many thanks.

Unlike you, I am a *complete* newbie, owning 1 watch and no tools. That said, I am really interested in doing this mod, but am wondering how much a minimum set of decent tools would cost me (I do have a Stanley knife already). :)

I don't plan on buying and mod'ing other watches any time soon, if ever, so perhaps I'd be better off bribing my local Seiko dealer into doing the mods for me? I live in Thailand, where even skilled labor is quite reasonable.

Any advice appreciated, including where to buy tools (I checked out the RWG shop, but it looks like some of the basic tools are not available there, like the watch holder/vice thingy.

Cheers,

Earl

fatarms

Earl, look through the RWG shop:

http://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/

Olly

Nice work !! :clap:

dunkster

Beautiful,

I have ordered mine through a member who reluctantly sold it to me, i am minus one nut, but i don't have the courage or talent you have to do one myself...YET.

Nice Job

Thang

Looking good! Thanks for sharing

paulc

Thankyou for this lovely thread I have just got my paws on a SNZH55K1 from amazon for £111.00 and ordered the bits as per your tutorial and hopefully I can clear up the info about the red ETA seconds hand and if it fits the 7s36 as I have emailed the seller to clear it up before ordering it.....thankyou alot :)