Sign in to follow this  
lildaddym

So, what's wrong with reps?

lildaddym

I know this has probably been discussed ad infinitum, but I have read so many posts (on other sites) complaining about reps and how they harm the gen manufacturers.

I have to disagree, in part, at least in that these are the same people that wouldn't hesitate to own a Porsche Speedster replicar or Shelby Cobra (original topless). I don't see a whole lot of difference. I could be wrong, but it won't stop me from owning rep B & R. I could never afford a gen on what I make, and even if I could, I wouldn't buy one. I think they're a bit overpriced for the technology. I do believe that reps have their place, just like anything else.

cybee

They say that "imitation is the best form of flattery." Frankly, I don't think the sales from reps necessarily harm the gen companies.

AllergyDoc

I don't think reps harm gen sales, either. Sure gives them something to bitch about, though.

Luthier
I don't think reps harm gen sales, either. Sure gives them something to bitch about, though.

Sure it doesn't. People who buy gens, wouldn't buy replicas ( but I know personally plenty of Hollywood stars, who wear reps on drunk parties, not to harm their gens), and most of people wouldn't buy gens, because they just simply can't afford it.

So, it's different things for different people.

mad dawg

This is an old debate.

My view is that reps are good for the gen industy because they increase interest in watches. "Better to have lies on the front page than the truth in the middle".

MD

greg_r

Given how many rep collectors end up buying gens, I'd suspect that a lot of the less well-known manufacturers (Panerai, Bell & Ross and the like) probably benefit from the rep industry increasing awareness of their brand.

dingle
Given how many rep collectors end up buying gens, I'd suspect that a lot of the less well-known manufacturers (Panerai, Bell & Ross and the like) probably benefit from the rep industry increasing awareness of their brand.

+1

lower the prices , the gens should and more sales they will have.......:thumbsup2:

jmd33

I can tell you personally that Omega owes RWI several thousand dollars in gen sales.

In my case, I test drive the rep and if I like it I buy the gen (the bonus is that I then have a rep and gen of the same to wear to my drunken parties - If I only went to druken parties). If I could not buy the rep I probably wouldn't buy the gen because once you buy from the AD and size it, you own it.

PO is next on the hit list. Omega (and the rest) should be thanking the rep world IMO.

Fiddo

Exactly.......never heard of Panerai a little over a year ago. Lately, I have been "looking" at gen Panerais. Would never had considered looking at gen Panerais if I had not purchased a few reps.

AlphaLima

Exactly.......never heard of Panerai a little over a year ago. Lately, I have been "looking" at gen Panerais. Would never had considered looking at gen Panerais if I had not purchased a few reps.

+1

That's my exact purpose of being on this forum. i'm only 28 & i would like a panerai copy because i think they are a beautifulwatch, personally i think Rolex's are the most ornate, tackiest watches i know & i wouldn't wear a gen if it was given to me. the reps let me wear something beautiful for a fraction of the cost. In my advancing years i'd like to try and own a gen pam.

lildaddym

It's great that there are not any bashers...makes me feel better about my choice to own reps rather than gens...

AustinTech
PO is next on the hit list. Omega (and the rest) should be thanking the rep world IMO.

I got my gen PO because I liked my rep so much. Thats a few bucks that Omega would not have recieved without the rep world.

jmd33

I got my gen PO because I liked my rep so much. Thats a few bucks that Omega would not have recieved without the rep world.

Exactly!!!

Klink

Is a Circus!

Gens are all way freaking overprice... and reps?

Way overpriced also...

easy to figure out.. is matter of ego superego and stupid of stupids..

simple!

LOL

meanss only who is caviar eater of champagne drinker.. blind drunk wanting

to have sainthood of idiocy and clothings of designer. Ferrair F60 to use

for mow down peasants..

roflmao

Kink

Life is Good!

: )

jmd33
Ferrair F60 to use for mow down peasants..

roflmao

Kink

Life is Good!

: )

LOL!!!

I'm partial to the F360 myself :)

[EDIT: I could be wrong - but I thought someone wrapped an F60 Enzo around a phone pole a few months back in Malibu. He probably had on a gen 16610 - lol]

Edited by jmd33