Sign in to follow this  
Noddy

How's this for a vintage GMT?

Noddy

1v.jpg

I've been looking at this one for awhile. Anything glaringly wrong with it?

greg_r

Well, I personally wouldn't buy from WE (they're okay, but there are better dealers around), but the vintage style pepsi GMT is a decent watch for the money. Won't go far wrong there...

Noddy
Well, I personally wouldn't buy from WE (they're okay, but there are better dealers around), but the vintage style pepsi GMT is a decent watch for the money. Won't go far wrong there...

Wasn't really intending on WE preferring some other dealers!

JoeyB

Thanks but that's a "II" and I really want the older 1675 and the rivet bracelet. Nice deal @ $49 'though!

I don't think you'll find a 1675. The reason is the dial.

The word 'Date" after Oyster Perpetual is NOT on the 6542 (no crown guards) or 1675. dial.jpg

Further, the 1675 says 'Superlative " while the 6542`does not. 1675-dials-Morgan-7.JPG

Mary had one 1675 and I bought it but the factory "lost" it when she went to have the bracelet changed for me. I went a different route after not being able to find the right one anywhere. There are other 'tells' too, but the dial is the biggest one.

The one you posted the pic of looks like a 16710 GMT Master II. It is an excellent rep from the good dealers.

Noddy
The one you posted the pic of looks like a 16710 GMT Master II. It is an excellent rep from the good dealers.

The one I posted is being sold as a 1675 @ WE. The other dealers don't seem to specify.

JoeyB

The one I posted is being sold as a 1675 @ WE. The other dealers don't seem to specify.

I understand that, but WatchEden is not correct.

This is a bad rep of a 16710 with the plastic crystal, wrong thinner insert, and as mentioned, wrong dial:3v.jpg

vs. a gen: Rolex1675GMT.jpg

No one has a readily available rep yet of the 6542 or 1675, so many people have made their own. You can mod the rest of the Watcheden by shaping the crown guards, add the correct crystal and correct insert to get close, but that dial is all wrong.

Noddy
No one has a readily available rep yet of the 6542 or 1675, so many people have made their own. You can mod the rest of the Watcheden by shaping the crown guards, add the correct crystal and correct insert to get close, but that dial is all wrong.

So, forget this one, forget the 1675, and go for bk's transformer? (which is a lot more than I want to spend) Or can you point out another GMT at a reputable dealer?

JoeyB

With what you've told us so far, I'd recommend what has already been recommended by others.

BK's watch is awesome, but it is the new 16710, no holes case. I wanted the holes and a little 'older' model look so I asked him about modding the 16710 'Retro' as Joshua from Perfect Clones calls it. He told me that Josh's retro was as close as he gets out of the box and he couldn't mod it more for me.

Perfect Clones GMTII Retro

This one is very close out of the box as BK said, has the sapphire crystal. It has the 2002 serial number, and most importantly to me, has the bi-directional bezel as does the genuine. Josh is at $278.

I would take the pics and a full and complete description, including what movement you want which Josh doesn't do, and contact Mary at WATCHINTERNATIONAL, listed in our recommended dealers list. Email her, tell her you are a member here and she will get a quote to you.

With this watch you can later change the insert and crystal if you like, maybe find a genuine dial and make a 'close' 1675 out of it. So it gives you options.

I hope that helps.

SliceMaster

Here you have a Vintage that I bought from Josh about 2 years ago...

liked it but simply hated that doomed crystal so when Rolexaddict was going to service and water-proof it he changed the crystal to a gen. flat one and now it´s def. one of my biggest favourites.

I´m not very anal about details so there might be some minor flaws that I havent seen but honestly I dont give a damn if there is...I just love it and wear it very often!!

vintagewristies002.jpg

Noddy
With what you've told us so far, I'd recommend what has already been recommended by others.

I hope that helps.

Very helpful, thank you!

RolexAddict

No one today (talking about Chinese makers) has made a perfect GMT 1675.

The model sold by Josh (as pictured by SliceMaster) has a very good case, thin case, with the correct rehaut, correct case back, but.... engraved 5513... witch is a Sub case.

I worked on the case to adapt a generic GMT bezel with the wide 4mm insert, adapting a cyclop #116 like on SliceMaster pic. O.K, but the dial sucks... even after reluming the wide dots and giving age, this "OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE" sucks.

YukiWatch sells gen Singer dials, refinished by professionals. Singer is the Swiss maker who made dials for the Rolex company. Dials are perfect. Its gens... BUT : the diameter doesnt fit, the rep cases inside diameters are totally wrong...

So, my concern, at this time I just stop with GMT, Sub and SeeDwellers. I am working on dials with a printer, will be ready in a few weeks.

The only 100% accurate Rolex reps today are DW/DavidBestWatch / Spinmaster vintage Daytonas.

And talking about modern Rolex or other brands, I hate modern watches. Like I hate modern cars.

Noddy

Thanks RolexAddict! Good stuff.

Will your dials be available here?

RolexAddict

Yes of course,

The gens GMT dials have 27mm diameter, this is going through the rehaut of our reps. I will cut 29mm metal rings to match with the rep cases.

I am working on the 1675 and the 6542. For the 6542 I will print the classic dull black and the white who figures the rare PanAm GMT,edition.

I made already tests with laser, ink jet with a correct result but still not sharp enough (anal...) I test also date discs because most of the 6542 had red date numbers. This is more difficult and need offset technic as even with a good printer, the printed numbers can appear ugly under the 2,5X cyclop

P_Diddy

is this one a rep?

it says Oyster Perpetual Date on the dial.........

Oyster Perpetual Date

Noddy
Yes of course,

The gens GMT dials have 27mm diameter, this is going through the rehaut of our reps. I will cut 29mm metal rings to match with the rep cases.

I am working on the 1675 and the 6542. For the 6542 I will print the classic dull black and the white who figures the rare PanAm GMT,edition.

I made already tests with laser, ink jet with a correct result but still not sharp enough (anal...) I test also date discs because most of the 6542 had red date numbers. This is more difficult and need offset technic as even with a good printer, the printed numbers can appear ugly under the 2,5X cyclop

Again, good stuff! I assume you've seen the thread on 1675 dials over at VRF?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/539585/mess...osted+by+Morgan

I'm not particularly fussy over the font or the thickness of the coronet but I would love a nice matt accurate 1675 dial when you are able to produce one!

Is there any one rep in particular that you think makes the best starting point for a 1675 since the one from Josh has the wrong engraving (5513) and all the others will have serials which are much too recent?

The white PanAm edition will be amazing!

panam6542myst9mf3zu.jpg

This Royal Navy one would be even better:

693nm.jpg

Edited by Noddy

RolexAddict
is this one a rep?

it says Oyster Perpetual Date on the dial.........

Oyster Perpetual Date

This one is a good one. The last 1675 and first 16750 models producted have - OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE / GMT MASTER - written

(old movement with new date rapide complication) and also - OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE / GMT MASTER II- (new movement, fat case)

but they have white gold circled dots instead of painted

- OYSTER PERPETUAL / GMT MASTER - are all with painted dots (there are some exceptions have a look here :

http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/gmt.htm)

Is there any one rep in particular that you think makes the best starting point for a 1675 since the one from Josh has the

wrong engraving (5513) and all the others will have serials which are much too recent?

no...

Even the case sold by Yukiwatch figuring the pointy crown guards model called "El Corniño" by collectionors is pricy and vrong.

Crown guards have to be re-cut and the case on pics looks to thick

Imho, a good choise for such a project would be :

- to use the Josh model who has the true 6540 and 1675 thickness,

- wipe of the "5513" between lugs and inside the case back, (eventually ask an engraver to engrave 1675 )

- enlarge the lug holes to 1,3mm,

- adapt an aftermarket GMT plexi # 116 cyclop

- modify the bezel attachment (could be done by hand tools, but better and faster with a lathe) to adapt an aftermarket combo : bezel ring/tension ring/spring and 4mm wide insert.

- adapt a custom dial, or, cut the top of the case, then using a lathe, re-build a complete top case bezel/plexi holder with a 25,5mm inside diameter rehaut to adapt a gen/aftermarket dial

All of this suppose knowing the use of a lathe and micro silver solder or TIG welding technics

Lot of work... not really a big $$$ investment, all aftermarket parts and a refinished gen dial will cost arround 400usd

but it takes time and need tools.

A gen 1675 in good conditions is in a range of 2500 - 3500 euros