Sign in to follow this  
Planemo

Top Gun with black NATO

Planemo

Thought I'd have a change and swop out the standard IWC strap (which I actually don't mind) for a NATO. I like the new look, kinda gives a more purposeful effect and suits the Top Gun's military theme. It's actually more comfortable too, and, oddly, makes the watch feel less top heavy. I have always been someone who doesn't like my watches flapping around so I normally have them tight enough to stop all movement of the watch head. The NATO somehow seems to allow this whilst not feeling as tight as the original.

Yes I know the strap should only feed back through the bottom hoop, but feeding it through both makes it more secure :) Pics don't seem to look as good as it does in the flesh though..

20130131_145651_zps8930b541.jpg

20130131_205333_zpsf68a9410.jpg

20130131_205223_zps74a6f37d.jpg

houndoggie

that's sharp. I'd get pvd hardware though..

Planemo

Cheers Doggie, I actually saw the PVD hoopage when I was looking but thought the silver was a nice touch against the silver pushers and crown. Horses for courses I guess. I could try both I 'spose, the straps were only £6. How much should a proper NATO be? £6 seems way to cheap. And that was the expensive one - loads were around the £3 mark :omfg:

Seems a bit cheapskate for a rep of a £££££ watch!

molliFWM

Search for Maratac Zulus, best choice.

964boy

Great looking watch mate.

But I think the nato is a no no.

Planemo

No probs, but can you expand on why? Looks cheap? Tacky? I'm open to all thoughts :)

964boy
No probs, but can you expand on why? Looks cheap? Tacky? I'm open to all thoughts :)

All of the above.

I know a lot of members here like nato straps, but they are one of my pet hates.

Your top gun looks amazing, and I think the nato strap cheapens it. If it were me I would put some time and effort into sourcing a gen or very good quality rep strap, just to give it a more authentic look.

Planemo

To be fair, I always thought NATO's looked cheap as well, and would never put one on a silver watch like my DSSD but the PVD on the Top Gun pulls it off to some extent. I doubt I will get a gen IWC strap for reasonable money (seem to be circa £200 which ain't gonna happen).

I might get a Zulu as suggested by Mollie, they certainly appear more beefy and less cheaply made than the one I have.

Pob

Looks nice mate, and don't listen to those nato haters ;)

AS90

NATO straps rule!

EC01D790-0547-4B0B-BD35-2A9D4301053A-690-000000DAE8151DDB_zps1ef5dee0.jpg

jonbummer

looks good! not easy to source 21mm NATO

964boy

Just get the next size up, and trim it to fit with a broken bottle to give it a nice rustic look.

jonbummer
Just get the next size up, and trim it to fit with a broken bottle to give it a nice rustic look.

good idea... had took a look at these:

will decide one of these soon

http://www.strapcode.com/store/nato-21mm-heat-sealed-heavy-nylon-black-buckle-black-p-1992.html

http://www.strapcode.com/store/nato-21mm-james-bond-blackgreyorange-watch-band-black-buckle-p-1482.html

Mystery Shopper

I thought they were supposed to be on these straps.

Image85_zps8b482546.jpg