Del

Del’s Photography Setup, Settings and System.

watchlover442

Thanks Del your pics are amazing

SCUMBUNNY

Nice setup! At first, I thought the photos you posted were copied from the respective watch websites. Now seeing your "behind the scenes" provides great insight. Nice touch, man. Nice touch indeed.

rhstranger

Amazing photographs. Thanks for the tutorial

Del

Thanks guys. Glad this has been helpful. :)

GC

Amazing photog...

Namaste

Del
Amazing photog...

Namaste

Thanks mate. Great to see you around! :woo:

chekkarn

Very useful tips! I must try this out for myself :) Thanks for sharing.

Richo59

Great info will give it a try thanks

Pseudonym

Awesome info Del... I have a decent 20meg compact SLR my wife bought me as a gift, but largely only used it in auto mode so far... Time to start using it a little more me thinks.

Mwhitetx

Nice write up, going to really put these into practice

Mach25

Del, truly thank you for the guidance. I looked through most of your photos and was amazed. It does take practice, patience....and passion. You make reps look as incredible as the gen articles. Keep up the great job and enjoy yourself. I'm anxious to go try some of my own now.... Oh, forgot I need some watches first!! :-)

Walesy

Christ I find it difficult taking a picture with any camera! Very informative Del and impressive setup. Your pictures are always impressive. I may have a play myself and see what I can come up with.

Edited by Walesy

jms137

Absolutely amazing photo of the Breitling, definitely "magazine quality". Drool....

And THANK YOU for revealing the 'dark art' (pun intended) of photographing glass without reflection!

SSTEEL

I think I have already said it, but I will say it again, great thread Del. I have recently purchased a new camera to replace my ageing Sanyo, so hopefully I will be able to take heed from the guide, and tips here to improve my photography skills. I wanted to get a DSLR but needed something smaller, and compact so went with the Sony Cybershot.

Del

Glad to hear that this is still being useful for some of you! :thumbsup2:

Kmazn19

much thanks for sharing!

Trueblue1989

Thanks Del really great post

sbryantgb

This was a great article, I have enjoyed photographing my watches and think that given the amount of low cost cameras on Ebay along with a light box etc is on the cards. I do have a couple of questions though. I took an image using one of these.

h1.jpg

which has 5mp

p1.jpg

p3.jpg

So my questions are,

1/ 5mp would seem to be more than enough and that it is the lens/auto focus that is letting the quality of image down?

2/ Would a lens of over 3x would be more than sufficient for most close up shots?

Edited by sbryantgb

Del
This was a great article, I have enjoyed photographing my watches and think that given the amount of low cost cameras on Ebay along with a light box etc is on the cards. I do have a couple of questions though.

So my questions are,

1/ 5mp would seem to be more than enough and that it is the lens/auto focus that is letting the quality of image down?

2/ Would a lens of over 3x would be more than sufficient for most close up shots?

Thanks! :)

It's partly the equipment (look at the size of the lens on my camera compared to your smartphone ;) ), partly the lighting and partly the post-shoot editing. Megapixels aren't every! :lol:

Tbh, you should be able to get excellent pics from any modern compact or bridge camera, although a good DSLR would tend to be the preference.

sbryantgb

Cheers Del, I was thinking a Fujifilm Bridge camera with around 4mp and 6x zoom to start myself off.

Gazzla

Cheers Del, I was thinking a Fujifilm Bridge camera with around 4mp and 6x zoom to start myself off.

I use a Nikon L830 for a lot of my pics. Cheap as chips for about £120 from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2384968.htm

It has enough MP and does great macro shots. Get a tripod and you're good to go!

Gaz

Del

I use a Nikon L830 for a lot of my pics. Cheap as chips for about £120 from Argos:

http://www.argos.co....ber/2384968.htm

It has enough MP and does great macro shots. Get a tripod and you're good to go!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz.

There you go sbryantgb! :)

sbryantgb

Thanks to both of you, but I'm thinking of outlaying no more than £60 total for light box tripod lights......... and camera. I believe with Ebays help I can do this.

Gazzla

Thanks to both of you, but I'm thinking of outlaying no more than £60 total for light box tripod lights......... and camera. I believe with Ebays help I can do this.

60 quid is a bit optimistic I think. Good luck in your quest!

sbryantgb

60 quid is a bit optimistic I think. Good luck in your quest!

So I went and bought one of these, Fujifilm FinePix S Series S1850 12.2 MP 18x. Have £20 left in my budget so I might not make it.