Sign in to follow this  
1saxman

Noob With Subbie ?

1saxman

I use a few REPs and also have some GENs. I'm not sure where to post the question, but I'll put it here and mods, please move if needed. I guess about 10 years ago I bought a REP Submariner (16610) that supposedly has a 31-jewel Italian movement. It has a lower caliber movement where you can detect the second hand jumping (very slightly) but is dependable and accurate. Band is numbered '78350'. Overall just looks like a 16610 and the stainless steel apparently is high quality - shows very little wear, no corrosion anywhere. Has screw pins where expected and the diver's extension. Mineral glass crystal. The question is, does anyone else have one of these and how does it rank in the REP world? I know this pic doesn't show enough of the right kind of details, like the font of the date numbers, but I'm pretty sure they are the 'wrong' font that the makers have since corrected.

DSC00074a1_zps5f9cf5b6.jpg

jeffw69

That's good 31jewel, Italian movement. Haven't heard that one before.

onionbag

Hello and welcome.:)

Subs are not my thing, but if bought 10 years ago, they've moved on a bit since then.

If you're looking to update, how about this as a starting point?

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=41994

Luthier

1. Somebody scammed you - there's no italian movements exist.

2. First post, actually, should be an introduction of yourself. At least, that's what polite people do.

dingle

it is a $35 silix special

1saxman

2. First post, actually, should be an introduction of yourself. At least, that's what polite people do.

Actually, they do. I was just looking up Italian watchmakers and there are quite a few, like Panerai for example.

Polite people are not usually known to be so direct.

dingle

Actually, they do. I was just looking up Italian watchmakers and there are quite a few, like Panerai for example.

your rep will not have an Italian movement. period.

your watch is a cheapie and can be purchased new for about $35.00

jeffw69

Yes, in genuine watches, but not in replicas. C'mon man!

bjack78

This should get interesting..... :popcorn:

Let 'em have it Luth!

sardonix

Mr Sax that one Sux :lol:

JohnPilot

Even Panerai never used italian movements.

dingle

This should get interesting..... :popcorn:

Let 'em have it Luth!

nope.

this is the flame free zone. I will shut it down if needed.

Heisenberg

The op asked how it ranks. Fair non flame esponse is: at the bottom.

1saxman

Yep, appears to be the same as the Silix, probably a Miyota movement. On the Italian thing, all I wanted to say was there are Italian movements. I know now that mine isn't one. Check the Panerai site where they discuss one they developed a few years ago.

I had another inexpensive watch with a Miyota automatic. Had a chrome-plated brass case with clear back glass. I guess I bought that around '95 and stopped wearing it when I got a GEN Omega Seamaster, eventually giving it away, and it's still running. Whatever, I already got my money's worth out of the REP Sub I have and it apparently has a lot of life left in it. Actually the Seamaster is my favorite watch for many reasons. I also had a Breitling Aerospace that I liked, except I hated the raised bezel markers. They tore up linings in my coat sleeves. I sent it to Breitling to have the sharp edges smoothed off but never was satisfied with that. Then I found out the jewelry store wanted almost $100 to put a battery in it and give it a water test. I sold it and got the Omega - what a watch! If I could change anything on the Omega, the only thing would be using screw pins on the lower sections of the band. I can't add or remove links myself on it and there's no adjustment in the clasp. Consequently I was using a Bando leather band on it rather than taking it to a watch guy to have the steel band worked on. That is something I have to do soon - I need the steel band in the hot weather that's coming.

DSC00075a1_zpsf19fd729.jpg

Luthier

Miyota in chinese replica? You sure?

;)

Heisenberg
I need the steel band in the hot weather that's coming.

Not in UK then. Welcome to the forum. I think you will now find an excellent sub. I recommend the Noob Ceramic Sub.