Sign in to follow this  
acid_luving

Panerai tool

acid_luving

I am thinking about buy a few straps for my PAM. So I was wondering is there a single tool that I can use for strap changing, along with buckle changing and also for the CG screws?

Thanks in advance.

jmac3789

I went to the grocery store and got an eyeglass repair kit for $1.50. Works for everything just be careful not to scratch when removing screws

onionbag

Buy a set of quality jewellers screwdrivers.

projectologist

The cg screws require a larger screw driver unless you want to mangle them with the smaller one required for strap/buckle/lug screws.

jeffw69
I went to the grocery store and got an eyeglass repair kit for $1.50. Works for everything just be careful not to scratch when removing screws

Oh yes, Great advice. :facepalm:

PeterPotamus

I bought mine from Daniel @ Migliorestraps, very nice screwdriver.

jmac3789

Oh yes, Great advice. :facepalm:

didnt remove the crown guard but i dont see whats wrong with using it for the strap screws

acid_luving

My querry regarding the CG is cos of the fact that my CG came loose twice. I have no idea why. I could not find a goddam screw driver that would do the job.

black263

My querry regarding the CG is cos of the fact that my CG came loose twice. I have no idea why. I could not find a goddam screw driver that would do the job.

The CG on my Pam arrived loose with the screws about to fall out. Tiny drop of loctite and doing up sorted the problem. The screwdriver was one of my small "regular" drivers, rather than the precision set.

member01

My Pam 111N's CG also came loose and had a watch shop tighten it up and it's been good every since.

BaggyPants

Whatever you do, don't get one of these from Watch Obsession:

http://www.watchobse...Out-Screwdriver

Supposed to be

the same design as the Panerai OEM Screwdriver
but they are made of cheese. Used one only four times to change straps over, and the tip is now unusably twisted. Far better to get a good quality screwdriver with a standard (not "cut out" super dooper Panerai stylee) blade.

Kleen™

The CG on my Pam arrived loose with the screws about to fall out. Tiny drop of loctite and doing up sorted the problem. The screwdriver was one of my small "regular" drivers, rather than the precision set.

This should be the first thing to do whenever receiving it. I have not received a single rep so far without at least one screw loose.

TheSav

Just by the toolkit available from the RWG shop and be done with it.

Kleen™

+1 it is a really nice kit to have around: I find myself using it for alot more things than I expected...

BaggyPants

Unless you are actively taking watches apart to service/fix them, it's a tad expensive. $99 plus shipping is a bit steep if you are just changing straps and adjusting the timing of a watch.

thebaron

This is my method. Works one everything but the H screws

gottahaverolex

What you want is a 1.6mm cut out screwdriver like this one :

http://www.amazon.com/1-6mm-Cut-out-Screwdriver-Panerai-Luminor/dp/B0084G1DW6

It will fit the screw head perfectly and never strip it. Using a regular wedge shaped flathead is asking for s stripped screw head eventually. The cut out driver is just like what comes with gen Pam's. it works prefectly on Rolex links too.

gottahaverolex

Red loctite for the CG screws is a must. The gens all have this so why wouldn't the rep!? ;) use it, problem solved

Frankt8242

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0084G1DW6

It will fit the screw head perfectly and never strip it. Using a regular wedge shaped flathead is asking for s stripped screw head eventually. The cut out driver is just like what comes with gen Pam's. it works prefectly on Rolex links too.

Twenty bucks for a fukkin screwdriver...???...fuuggeddabouttit!!!

gottahaverolex

I used that as an example, I got one on Amazon for $5.88. Go ahead and use a regular screw driver if you'd like, it will eventually eat the screw heads. Use the tool that was designed for this purpose

fatarms

Red loctite for the CG screws is a must. The gens all have this so why wouldn't the rep!? ;) use it, problem solved

I thought it was the blue? Just read about the red and the only way to remove it is to heat the piece to 500 degrees F (260 C) to remove them? http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm

Frankt8242

I used that as an example, I got one on Amazon for $5.88. Go ahead and use a regular screw driver if you'd like, it will eventually eat the screw heads. Use the tool that was designed for this purpose

OK....I'll just keep on using the same screwdrivers I have been using for the last 10 years......And BTW...I have NEVER bunged up a Panny screw yet...but only time will tell.... :giggle: :giggle:

gottahaverolex

I thought it was the blue? Just read about the red and the only way to remove it is to heat the piece to 500 degrees F (260 C) to remove them? http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm

Let me clarify, the liquid is blue but the package is red. My fault for not being accurate in my description.

fatarms

I thought it was the blue? Just read about the red and the only way to remove it is to heat the piece to 500 degrees F (260 C) to remove them? http://www.loctitepr...ker-Red-271.htm

Let me clarify, the liquid is blue but the package is red. My fault for not being accurate in my description.

No problem, friend. I just wanted to be sure I was using the right stuff on my watches :lol:

gottahaverolex

I thought it was the blue? Just read about the red and the only way to remove it is to heat the piece to 500 degrees F (260 C) to remove them? http://www.loctitepr...ker-Red-271.htm

No problem, friend. I just wanted to be sure I was using the right stuff on my watches :lol:

Yes sir, you actually saved some guys from heartache by correcting me ;)