KBH

Problem with forum software

KBH

I've been running every diagnostic I have in both Norton Suite and System Mechanic. At the moment my computer is running CHKDSK and from the looks of it it will take another 3 hours to finish.

This is my wife's laptop, which is working fine so far. One post!

I'll try without rich text but don't you lose all smileys, etc? Maybe give Chrome another try also when I get my computer back from the diagnostic program.

greg_r

Nope you don't lose smileys - or anything else, actually. You just don't get a WYSIWYG display of text formatting when typing. No great loss imho. I've been using the standard editor from preference since the start.

JoeyB
The problem with Opera is that whilst it's quick it suffers various weirdness on all sorts of sites - it's not as standards compliant as they try to make out. You can expect glitches on a regular basis. The user experience, though, is good - so if it works with the sites you visit, go for it!

I have had 'issues' in the past, had Firefox or IE backup to use certain sites. But with the latest updates I haven't run into a single one yet. Been a good 6 months now. I don't care for Firefox or IE, the only thing IE does good is a real 'full screen' with hidden tool bars. If Opera ever fails me I might try Chrome.

greg_r
The problem with Opera is that whilst it's quick it suffers various weirdness on all sorts of sites - it's not as standards compliant as they try to make out. You can expect glitches on a regular basis. The user experience, though, is good - so if it works with the sites you visit, go for it!

I have had 'issues' in the past, had Firefox or IE backup to use certain sites. But with the latest updates I haven't run into a single one yet. Been a good 6 months now. I don't care for Firefox or IE, the only thing IE does good is a real 'full screen' with hidden tool bars. If Opera ever fails me I might try Chrome.

Fair enough - I keep a copy of Opera around for site testing and still find it rather glitchy, but the user experience is probably the best of any Windows-based browser, so I completely understand why you stick with it. FF is a decent browser, but I'll confess that I much prefer Safari or Omniweb on the Mac (the latter I've been using since the days of NeXTSTEP) and Chrome on Windows. IE I won't use on a bet... :D

KBH

After hours of running every diagnostic problem including having CHKDSK run for 7 hours, everything seems to be working well for now. Even IE doesn't hang like it was doing.

greg_r

Good :bcake: