KBH

Problem with forum software

KBH

The mouse and cusror work in the Topic Title and Topic Description box but as soon as I get down to the message body I lose it.

I don't know what's going on but I keep loosing my cursor every time I try to type in a reply. As I type this I have no cursor and no mouse action. It's been happening more and more lately. I've tried dumping the cache and also rebooting and it's not getting better. When I try going from FF to IE, Ie locks up as soon as it get's the the point of trying to load the PayPal button on the end of the page. It's only happening on this forum, the rest are working perfectly.

WTF?

onzenuub

You're the mod over here, so you should know.

AustinTech

You are under a partial ban, you can thank DB for that.

Bad boy!

onzenuub

Bad boy!

:)

dingle

Bad boy!

:giggle:

not for sure B. Do you have the latest version of FF installed?

KBH

Shit! This time it's working again. DB, you been messing with the controls again?

KBH

And now it's not working. Onze, you don't have to pass a test to be a mod. Intelligence isn't a requirement.

dingle
Shit! This time it's working again. DB, you been messing with the controls again?

what controls?....I have yet to find the control room :giggle:

FF latest version?

onzenuub
And now it's not working. Onze, you don't have to pass a test to be a mod. Intelligence isn't a requirement.

Oke, now I get it.

KBH

Yes latest version. Now it's working again. I wish I could figure out and patter to when it works and when it doesn't.

onzenuub
Yes latest version. Now it's working again. I wish I could figure out and patter to when it works and when it doesn't.

If yopu see the cursor it works, if you don't see the cursor it doesn't work.

dingle

the next time it dissapears in the topic box, hold shift and hit the "blue" reload button at the top of FF. see if it appears.

greg_r

This is really weird, mate. Nobody else has reported the problem and I can't reproduce it no matter how hard I try. Page load times are fast and everything seems to be working no matter how I test it (i.e. on any of my own systems or either FF or IE on the test machines I use at work). Our monitoring service is also reporting fast load times.

I've just run the site through 4 different machines ranging from a 6 year-old laptop that hasn't been re-installed in ages to a machine I just fresh installed yesterday. FF, Chrome and IE on each of them. All zero problems. Not to mention the 3 or 4 other machines I use regularly and have used to get here within the last few days. I can't reproduce the issue at all :giggle:

I'm confident that the site itself is pretty much glitch free - which tends to suggest something screwy going on with your computer (or possibly your ISP), I'm afraid. Sorry :(

Just in case, I'm in the process of running a full cache refresh on the site - and am doing a few other clean-up routines as well. I don't expect them to make much difference but we'll see...

AllergyDoc

I lose the cursor when I click on REPLY but not when typing in a FAST REPLY box. It's been like this since the new Firefox version came out, Version 3.6. It doesn't happen when I use Chrome.

KBH

I'm sure it's on my machine. (now it's working again)

Well, I've got a subscription to System Mechanic. I guess I'll run it through all the SM drills that I can and see if they pick up anything.

It's particularly weird that I also can't load this forum on IE for a completely different problem. I'll report back later.

greg_r

hmm - interesting. Thanks, Doc. I was using Fast reply. Lemme go back to one of the Windows machines and try that again...

AllergyDoc

See. I just hit REPLY and I have no cursor and can only type at the very top of this box. Plus, no matter how many times I hit the ENTER key I stay

right

here.

hmm - interesting. Thanks, Doc. I was using Fast reply. Lemme go back to one of the Windows machines and try that again...

AllergyDoc
I want. :giggle:

Now I'm on Google Chrome and it works fine.

I can type

wherever

Must be a Firefox thing.

greg_r

The IE problem is unrelated, I'm fairly sure.

However, it turns out there's a known issue with Firefox 3.6 which can exhibit just this problem in certain circumstances (I haven't yet quite got a handle on how and why it happens - lot of material to read through on this one...).

Something to check: Go into "My controls" and click "board settings" (under options in the left hand side panel - about 2/3 of the way down).

Look at the bottom of the page where it says (under posting settings) "Type of text editor to use when posting"

If it's set to "Rich Text Editor", change it to "standard editor" and click the "Change my account options".

Might I suggest trying another browser? I seem to recall that you don't like Chrome - how about Safari? (which uses the same rendering engine as Chrome, but has a more conventional interface).

AllergyDoc

I tried Safari on this machine before and it worked. But when I tried it on my laptop at home, it crashed every time, so I dumped it. I'll try changing to the standard editor.

AllergyDoc

Now, back in Firefox, I

my cursor

have

back, in Standard Editor.

Which is actually faster, anyway.

greg_r

Okay - some more playing around. I think I know what's happening.

Firefox is indeed broken using the rich text editor (which I never use anyhow - which is why I hadn't spotted this problem). It also exhibits problems on a number of other sites, including Yahoo mail. If you're using FF 3.6 or later, follow the instructions above set the text editor back to the standard version (which has been default for new signups for the better part of a year, but early signups may have gotten the rich text version as default).

I've uploaded a modified editor function script to the board which may help to reduce the severity of the problem in some configurations but overall you're best off just switching back to the standard editor.

Lemme know how you get on.

JoeyB

I'm using Opera. We had some issues last year but they cleared as quickly and mysteriously as they showed up and no issues at all since. Very fast on this site, and for anyone who needs glasses the mag setting is very convenient. :giggle:

ebzen02

Update to Google Chrome..Works like a charm on my PC..

greg_r

The problem with Opera is that whilst it's quick it suffers various weirdness on all sorts of sites - it's not as standards compliant as they try to make out. You can expect glitches on a regular basis. The user experience, though, is good - so if it works with the sites you visit, go for it!