Sign in to follow this  
Martinjogs

IWC reps watches on eBay being sold as gens

Martinjogs

Hi All,

Having my ebay fix of looking for vintage stuff and came across a dealer selling 'antique' IWCs from Ukraine! Looked at these obviously new copies and see that folks are bidding silly money for them. Proper scam???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-s-IWC-Antique-1914-Large-Wristwatch-International-Watch-Company-calibre-57-/271130508904?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_Pocket_Watches_Accessories_ET

Martinjog

Grimmi

I'm a little confused, had a look at a couple and it looks like the seller is stating that its the original movement but in a "new" case made to fit the original movement, and also that the dial had also been restored?

Mechwarrior

very well kept for a movement of 1914 ^_^

CheeseCake

Guys, I have reported this sonofabitch to eBay.

Everyone should do so!!!

Some asshole from NY tried to sell me a fake Panerai but I recognized it on the case back.

nhred

I noticed there are a few of these sellers from Ukraine selling what seem to be pocket watches with straps - here is another http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-1893-PATEK-PHILIPPE-Co-GENEVE-Vintage-Watch-PRECISION-CHRONOMETER-/170987290941?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item27cfa3013d

each account must be making a killing.... i went through a couple of the buyers history and noticed that they were buying vintage movements. Are they deffs fakes or some kind of restoration/franken pieces?

PeterPotamus

to me the description says it all, it's not a fake iwc, it's an old pocket watch with a new case (converted for wristwatch) and restored dial and original movement serviced.

for me looks clean, it's all in the description and I see nothing wrong restoring an antique watch and bring it to life again.

houndoggie

typical pocket watch conversion (actually nicely done). I see lots of these for Omega and IWC. nothing to see here, move along.

Guys, I have reported this sonofabitch to eBay.

Everyone should do so!!!

Some asshole from NY tried to sell me a fake Panerai but I recognized it on the case back.

:huh:

schwimmi

I think they are all " Frankenwatches " .. but the price .. :o

Mechwarrior

i bought 3 watch from ukraine (vintage russian) and are very nice ^_^

Martinjogs
to me the description says it all, it's not a fake iwc, it's an old pocket watch with a new case (converted for wristwatch) and restored dial and original movement serviced.

for me looks clean, it's all in the description and I see nothing wrong restoring an antique watch and bring it to life again.

That is why I like this forum! It is good to learn from people who know their stuff. I kinda agree that restoring an old watch to this state is worthy of praise but think that the sale is designed to mislead folks into believing that this is an antique wristwatch as designed by the good people at IWC...moving on already!

Martinjog

houndoggie

That is why I like this forum! It is good to learn from people who know their stuff. I kinda agree that restoring an old watch to this state is worthy of praise but think that the sale is designed to mislead folks into believing that this is an antique wristwatch as designed by the good people at IWC...moving on already!

Martinjog

no, the description is very accurate.

NullMind

that is STUNNING !! .. pricey maybe ? ..

Mechwarrior

not so much.looks very nice

SliceMaster

Nothing coming from Ukraine can be any good!!

Captain Swoop

Why not?

RussP

Speaking for myself............I think the women from over there are mighty fine :B):

nhred

Archie luxury's low down on these "Evil Ukrainian Watchmakers / Butchers" LOL