Sign in to follow this  
sammysmiths

Maybe a new purchase?

sammysmiths

I have been looking for a Nato Rolex Milsub.

Can anyone give me more info on comparison to the gen.

Edited by sammysmiths

greg_r

The description will be as given by the factory - and yes, I would take 'waterproof' with a pinch of salt. It may be waterproof and it can certainly be MADE waterproof if it isn't already, but with any rep - no matter the source - you should get it pressure tested before taking it into the water. Bear in mind that even gen watches need their seals re-greasing periodically to remain waterproof.

As far as comparison to the gen goes, I'm no expert on vintage Rollies, so I'll let someone else chime in on this one.

sammysmiths

Any more advice guys?

KBH

I can't get on timeshop's web site at the moment. It times out.

greg_r

Same here - I think Mark's webhosts are having problems. They were never entirely reliable anyhow...

sammysmiths

I've just noticed Narikaa is doing the Rolex Milsub for a great price and he is UK based.

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...?showtopic=4559

The only MAJOR flaw I can see is the buckle which has a coronet welded to it where-as the gen appears to have a plain buckle.

I understand that this is only a £75 watch but are there any other major flaws?

In my opinion the bezel numerals look way too thick.

How smooth and reliable is the 21,600 movement?

Is it lumed?

KBH

The best thing to do is check that link to the gen that he posts at: http://doubleredseadweller.com/mil_sub.htm

The early Rolexes weren't fast beat like the new ones so the movement should be actually more gen like. Also on any of those old Subs, the lume would be dead by now, so having little or no lume is preferable.

My only reservation is that the dial looks a little too yellow but if you plan on vintaging the dial, it might work out for you.

sammysmiths
The best thing to do is check that link to the gen that he posts at: http://doubleredseadweller.com/mil_sub.htm

The early Rolexes weren't fast beat like the new ones so the movement should be actually more gen like. Also on any of those old Subs, the lume would be dead by now, so having little or no lume is preferable.

My only reservation is that the dial looks a little too yellow but if you plan on vintaging the dial, it might work out for you.

I have looked at the drsd link ad noticed the bezel is completely different and the yellow is way too bright. How do you vintage the dial?

Would this be preferable and then waterproof the watch on rebuild?

KBH

I have looked at the drsd link ad noticed the bezel is completely different and the yellow is way too bright. How do you vintage the dial?

Would this be preferable and then waterproof the watch on rebuild?

I have no idea exactly what I'd do with that dial. I'm thinking a little bleach first to lighten it and then spotting the dial markers up with a little stain of some sort. But I have no idea how the bleach would affect it. Usually you're taking a white dial marker and trying to turn it darker.

There are some other pretty good vintage Subs to look at on Josh's site and also PT's site. Check those out for some more variety.