Sign in to follow this  
DR3M3L

[TUTORIAL] Remove fingerprints/flaws

DR3M3L

There are a lot of people asking about removing flaws or fingerprints. As we all know their is quite a big chance you got something under your crystal you don't want it to be there (NEVER LOOK AT YOUR REPS WITH A LOOP! :( ).

Many newbies don't know how to remove it and are even annoying our TD's with questions or even deny a watch for a flaw. In my opinion this is not necessary and that's why I'm writing this.

For this tutorial I'll use my Pam111 and less watchtools to show you how easy it actually is. I'm not an expert and I think everyone is able to do this himself.

!!Before you start: My pics are made with a phone, don't expect any quality. I hope they will show everything you need to see.

!!This is not actually to win a competition, this is just to help you guys. If you think you can make a better tutorial, please do, support RWG!

This is my watch:

IMG_2325_zpse8e19089.jpg

(Thanks again for the strap Serge, it's awesome!!)

First, let make some space and remoce the strap from the case . In this case it's removed by simply unscrewing:

IMG_2326_zps875eb789.jpg

Looks much better:

IMG_2327_zpsaeb53a16.jpg

Turn around the watch..

IMG_2328_zps1d78434a.jpg

(Looks bad on a phono pic :( )

Now we need to open the caseback. I used just a latex handshoe to get some grip, most reps are not screwed that tight.

IMG_2329_zps64413da0.jpg

So now we have opened our caseback! If you have a closed caseback it might be the first time you see your movement. I really love this movement, but also really like automatic movements. If you have a cheap 21j movement you also need to remove a white plastic movement holder out of the case.

IMG_2330_zpsfb7f7090.jpg

On a Pam you first need to remove the crown protector, just two screws, like this:

IMG_0018_zps3cdce1c6.jpg

Then we need to get our crown + stem out of the movement. This should be done by unscrewing the following screw a bit:

IMG_0017_zpsba35cb7e.jpg

It's near the stem hole on top of the movement. Some movement got a little pusher, just puch it and pull out the stem. For this one, unscrew it a bit and carefully pull out the scrown + stem. Like this:

IMG_0016_zpsd98299b7.jpg

The movement is placed in the case with two (or maybe more) holders. You find them at the side of the movement and can be unscrewed. Look carefully at the following picture and find them yourself:

IMG_0009_zps77bbf38b.jpg

IMG_0010_zpse020d0a8.jpg

Now our movement is ready to be removed out of the case, be careful when doing this, just hold the movement, turn around the case and then remove the case. You dont want to brake any part!

IMG_0015_zpse5be9725.jpg

Now just remove the flaw/fingerprint, clean everything and keep out dust. In the RWG shop you can buy a great toolkit with everything you need. :)

I'm doing like I got a fingerprint inside and cleaning everything:

IMG_0014_zps4379fc0c.jpg

After cleaning, put the movement + dial back in, make sure it's in the right direction etc. Reverse the remove process.

IMG_0013_zps3ee3c290.jpg

Now put the stem back in, be really careful doing this you break them very easy...... And then just screw it back:

IMG_0012_zpsd4d19e59.jpg

Clean the movement from fingerprints....

IMG_0011_zpsb5b7c4ae.jpg

Put the movement holders back in and screm them tight:

IMG_0010_zpse020d0a8.jpg

IMG_0009_zps77bbf38b.jpg

Then put back the crown protector:

IMG_0008_zpscb3f3c06.jpg

Clean the back case at the inside:

IMG_0006_zps09d84038.jpg

And put it back on! :D

IMG_0005_zpsbd373696.jpg

Almost done! Put your strap back on and be proud of yourself mate, you've done it! Congrats!

IMG_0003_zpsee7bce6f.jpg

YOU JUST REMOVED A FLAW OR FINGERPRINT ALL BY YOURSELF!

YOU BECAME WATCHSMITH LVL 0.5 ! CONGRATS!

I hope you learned something today, as you can see this is quite a simple fix and you also saw the inside of your watch. Now you get excited to learn more and more, please do! It's great to mod, repair and get your girlfriend involved. :giggle:

Cheers

Fell1963

Excellent and informative post! Thank you.

jacobarch

nice write up!

you should of cleaned it tho :giggle:

DR3M3L

Excellent and informative post! Thank you.

No problem at all, thank you for your compliment. :)

nice write up!

you should of cleaned it tho :giggle:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhht :giigle: Thanks bud.

intlcgr

Joran, question for you. I have just been doing this 4 months, and have purchased a tool kit and am doing most work myself. I have purchased a couple of watches that are suppose to be waterproof. If I remove the back to check if the correct movement was sent or to clean watch, will I lose any of the waterproofing(is that a word?) of the watch?

thanks

DR3M3L

Joran, question for you. I have just been doing this 4 months, and have purchased a tool kit and am doing most work myself. I have purchased a couple of watches that are suppose to be waterproof. If I remove the back to check if the correct movement was sent or to clean watch, will I lose any of the waterproofing(is that a word?) of the watch?

thanks

I would really go to a dealer and test water resistance again, you'll never be sure for 100% after opening a caseback. Hope you'll find a good adress that does water resistance testing for a good price :) Good luck!

Hazz

and a Serge strap to boot :)

DR3M3L

and a Serge strap to boot :)

Only problem is my girl wearing this watch + strap all the time :giggle:

LightGeek

Nice write up! All these gloves and all... Not like mine. My BK arrived with visible dust on the dial and one print on the hour hand. I'll need to do some crazy disassembly soon.

1littlegreen

:thumbsup:im%20Not%20Worthy.gif:clap:

Great job and thank you!!

Luthier

Time to apply for RWG Trusted Watchsmith status...

;)

P4GTR

C'mon now.. A how-to decase & clean your dial/inner case/crystal without recommending a few things like Rodico? And "you just press the button" on other movements? Are you a double agent for Chris or something?

IMG_0011_zpsb5b7c4ae.jpg

Oi... is that your draws? :facepalm:

LightGeek

I want to see someone follow these instructions, then take a can of compressed air at full strength at the dial :)

BigBuys

You never know until you try it, and you pulled it off like a champ Joran. :thumbsup:

I'm talking about your underwear that you used to clean the fingerprints from the movement! :Shocked:

Luthier
:rofl:

10:10 Watch Repair

C'mon now.. A how-to decase & clean your dial/inner case/crystal without recommending a few things like Rodico? And "you just press the button" on other movements? Are you a double agent for Chris or something?

I have to agree with this. Cleaning a movement with anything that will leave lint, fibers, etc. is not the best idea.

If you wipe it with a rag, you need to properly clean it after or you are shortening the life of your movement.

Chrisby
I want to see someone follow these instructions, then take a can of compressed air at full strength at the dial :)

Just followed this and used one of those huge cans of compressed air to remove a dust particle. Can everyone check their immediate surroundings for my date wheel? Thanks in advance. ..I will pay shipping to the UK too :lol:

Seriously though Joran excellent tutorial and good pics to show exactly what to do. Luckily I have a mate who's getting into all if this, who'll do it for me.

DR3M3L

As I said in the tutorial, if you know better share it ;)

It's not the best thing to use something with lint, I know, so please tell what's better to use and I'll edit ofcourse.

I take the time to help, so my distribution to the board is at least better then some people slash others.

presence00

Well done! (aside - two of the pics are not loading for me, re: stem removal) but I still really like the post.

mostling
Some movement got a little pusher, just puch it and pull out the stem.

How hard do i puch it?

For this one, unscrew it a bit and carefully pull out the scrown + stem.

How many turns do i turn the screw before i fuck up the keyless?

pablom617

Nice writeup Joran!

Hazz

IMG_0011_zpsb5b7c4ae.jpg

Oi... is that your draws? :facepalm:

RODICO is the biz,,,,,,,no you cannot just use blue tac:)

B46C0241-202D-4186-AA86-DF2F149FB1C6-9850-0000015117E10299_zps1c6917d1.jpg

10:10 Watch Repair

Hazz is correct, and the grey Rodico premium leaves very little residue. Use either version of Rodico for cleaning movement parts. For the crystal, a soft rag or microfiber towel is fine, just be sure to use a dust blower afterwards. Lint can get trapped between the crystal and bezel and eventually settle on the dial.

DR3M3L
Hazz is correct, and the grey Rodico premium leaves very little residue. Use either version of Rodico for cleaning movement parts. For the crystal, a soft rag or microfiber towel is fine, just be sure to use a dust blower afterwards. Lint can get trapped between the crystal and bezel and eventually settle on the dial.

Thanks mate!