Sign in to follow this  
JasperB

Whether to confess

JasperB

I was at a conference yesterday, and the man next to me was wearing a Hublot Classic Fusion Chrono which I could hardly keep my eyes off. It had a jet black face and gold case with a black strap. The gold positively glowed. He saw me looking at it and to my surprise he said he was impressed by my watch - an AP I bought from Mary with a swiss movement and very smooth sweep.

In that moment I had to decide whether to 'fess up, and I found myself saying Oh this- it's a replica I bought while in the far east. He was surprised to hear that, but still impressed and wanted to know if they made Hublot replicas. I said I didn't know, but probably.

He was already convinced it was a gen, and now I wonder if I should have let him think that.

PeterPotamus

there are a lot of people who just don't know how good a replica can be.

Luthier

Rule #1 - Always be honest.

Dr Yan

Maybe his was a rep !

garbear99

I always tell folks it's a rep when they comment. The majority of the time, they want to know where I got it so they can get one too.

James.

Maybe he's a member here...

dingle

I was at a conference yesterday and I sat beside this fella who had a nice AP. I could not bring myself to let him know my Hublot was a rep......perhaps he is a member here....

:daffy:

houndoggie
I was at a conference yesterday and I sat beside this fella who had a nice AP. I could not bring myself to let him know my Hublot was a rep......perhaps he is a member here....

:daffy:

You don't have a Hublot

jeffw69

Ding wearing a Yublow? :rofl:

Distinct

A lot of people think that I'm lying or kidding around when I tell them it's a replica. I get a lot of, "What ever. Seriously, this is nice, where'd you get it?" The more I declare and admit it is a replica, the more they think I am being too honest, humble, humourous or discreet about the watch.

Honesty is the best path. Be you, be real and be proud of it. You did the right thing.

Breno

It depends why you wear the rep, if you wear them to convince others you are wealthy, then don't confess.

If you wear them just because yoyu like them, say whatever you want. Who cares what a stranger thinks, as long as you are happy.

JasperB

It depends why you wear the rep, if you wear them to convince others you are wealthy, then don't confess.

If you wear them just because yoyu like them, say whatever you want. Who cares what a stranger thinks, as long as you are happy.

That's true. I love my AP, it looks great and keeps great time, and I would never ever ever buy a gen AP because they are way too expensive and look the same as my rep (except to someone from here)