KBH

Expectations of a replica watch

webbdawg99

So I'm a "noob" and I believe I have a "reasonable complaint in regards to my first purchase. Let me preface this post by saying that the watch was purchased through one of RWG's "trusted dealers".

I purchased an Omega Planet Ocean GMT. The very first line of the description says "Bi-directional rotating diver bezel". The original PO GMT has a bi-directional rotating bezel....the watch I received does not. This is not a matter of opinion or disappointment. This watch simply is not what it is stated to be. The bezel only rotates one direction despite the listing for the watch.

So what should this noob do?

Hawks2384

Being new or really just getting back in to replicas after a LONG time off I do have a question. I completely understand setting the proper expectation for a replica watch. I know there's no way the Breitling rep I am looking is going to be close to the real thing but my question is, is it still a 380.00 dollar watch?

I think I should be able to expect the same quality as any 400.00 watch I purchase. I recently bought the Seiko SMP655 for 380(ish) and I love it. As long as the rep is a 400.00 quality watch I have no issues. in reality I don't expect the hands to fall of or for the watch to stop working in 6 months since I have yet to have that issue with a watch (aside from Invicta and never a movement issue usually bad finish or screws falling out of the band) but I can always go back to the manufacturer to make it right.

I guess I'm not sure why reps aren't held to the same standards as a brand watch at the same price point.

Just looking for thoughts.

onionbag

It's not going to be like a Seiko, no black belt in Six Sigma is monitoring the production of your timepiece.

It's always going to be an ad hoc facsimilie of your heart's desire.

No, not even an Invicta.

On the bright side, at their best reps can be little jewels that light up your day..........just like this forum. Read some more before you decide to buy. :)

Hawks2384

Ready to take the plunge on a Breitling Super Avenger from Mary.. Damn is she patient with all of my requests and noob questions!! This is my dream watch and never having actually held one at least I don't have any crazy ideas on preconceived expectations!

Having a 46mm 16mm thick Marathan JSAR I'm confident the Breitling will be perfect on my large wrist

Edited by Hawks2384

gavmeister

Thanks for this information. It certainly manages and makes my expectations a bit more realistic.

tribefan

This is one of many threads my OCD has absorbed over the last couple of days. There is a wealth of knowledge here, appreciated the members taking the time.

I'll ask my first noob stupid question:

When you are looking at a piece with multiple complications on many of the TD websites, the functions will be clear for some, but not so for others. For instance, when it states "date is set with the crown" but doesn't actually state the date function works, does that mean it doesn't and you have to manually set it yourself daily?

I get that you can't expect a ferrari to perform to spec wth a pontiac 6 cylander, just trying to understand what works and what doesn't.

DisplacedSoutherner

So is it generally recommended to have a new rep serviced when it arrives, or should a high quality one be good to go from day one?

greg_r

So is it generally recommended to have a new rep serviced when it arrives, or should a high quality one be good to go from day one?

Sometimes it will be necessary to get one serviced right away (or send it back to China), but most of the time the best approach is to service it when it needs it (which could be years away).

GenTLe
This is one of many threads my OCD has absorbed over the last couple of days. There is a wealth of knowledge here, appreciated the members taking the time.

I'll ask my first noob stupid question:

When you are looking at a piece with multiple complications on many of the TD websites, the functions will be clear for some, but not so for others. For instance, when it states "date is set with the crown" but doesn't actually state the date function works, does that mean it doesn't and you have to manually set it yourself daily?

I get that you can't expect a ferrari to perform to spec wth a pontiac 6 cylander, just trying to understand what works and what doesn't.

You need to learn a bit about movements: You will know that a 2836 has date function (but that can be removed on some watch if not necessary like for the no-date submariners) and it is always operated by crown, but that, for example, a Miyota 8215 doesn't hack seconds when in time setting mode, regardless some of the TDs write the opposite.

BamaLawyer

So.......basically, buying a rep is ALWAYS a crap shoot. NO REP MAKERS hav a history of making a "more reliable" tep than any others? And while there is a list of "hopefuls" if you want a really nice rep....buy the REAL THING! OR....shut up if your rep is all jacked up, upon arrival. IF it arrives.

That kinda sum it up?

Len

JSJ
So.......basically, buying a rep is ALWAYS a crap shoot. NO REP MAKERS hav a history of making a "more reliable" tep than any others? And while there is a list of "hopefuls" if you want a really nice rep....buy the REAL THING! OR....shut up if your rep is all jacked up, upon arrival. IF it arrives.

That kinda sum it up?

Len

No it doesn't really sum it up.

From my experience, probably 80 per cent of reps arrive fine. I generally only buy 'high end' reps now because I more or less know what I like. It is still evolving for me though.

Of the roughly 20 per cent of reps which arrive with issues, I can fix maybe half.

The fun and value for money in reps is far better than mid to high end gens. Only Seikos and possibly some of the cheaper niche gen brands (I don't have any of those) are in the same value league for me. If you talk about quartz, that distorts the whole picture in favour of brands like Citizen as well as Seiko, but that's a different story for me.

Dabble in reps, find out what you like, then you will be wiser. Only spend what you can afford to burn. You won't burn it all but you will some of it. If you don't like the risk, find another hobby.

the_faz_man

That kinda sum it up?

Len

Further to what JSJ states above, whether or not the watch arrives is not the fault of the TD, but rather the customs office within your country. I am relatively new to this game and have bought 7 reps and all have arrived promptly. Out of the seven, only one had problems upon arrival but has since been sent back to China for repair.

If you are worried why not start by buying a quartz because they are generally cheaper and less prone to 'dead-on-arrival' issues, then you can work your way up to an automatic when you are more confident.

trailboss99

Reps are like the share market. Never commit single cent you can't afford to lose.

crackend87

Great advice, thank you!

madaboutyou

Good article, agree with all of the thoughts :))

benhipps

I got this post from one of the other forums (with full permission of the owner) and thought it was worth posting here. This is from Shroomfarmer on Rep Geek and hopefully he will be coming along to say hello soon.

Expectations of a Replica Watch

Since I have joined this forum last month, I have noticed a reoccuring theme. Dude buys a watch, but it does not meet his expectations for whatever reason and starts to ***** about it. Then follows an onslaght of replies from other members about how the watch is just a rep and there will always be flaws and imperfections. I just want to share some of my quick thoughts on this.

It will never be perfect

It is virtually impossible for a replica to be perfect and I am not just talking about the movement. Gen watches and rep watches are made in different workshops, technicians are of different caliber and as much as they try to copy the gen, it will never be the same. I also think it would be similar if the skilled technicians from Gen companies tried to copy watches from other companies, they would find themselves struggling to find the exact materials and processes to produce exact replicas.

Quality will not be the same

Obviously there would be differences in the QC processes of Rep workshops and Gen workshops. Do not expect ISO or sixth sigma practices in place. There is always a chance your hands will fall off, your bezel will be loose and your watch might just arrive at your doorstep dead. It does not mean if you pay $700 or $70 for your watch here it would make any different.

Customer service varies

So your watch is spoilt, or you are disatisfied and you want it fixed by the dealer, what do you do? More often than not, you are at the mercy of the dealer. He might not respond to you or take a very long time. Frankly he is not obligated to even entertain your demands. The watch did not come with a warranty or any 7 day money back guarantee. Remember these are not legitamate companies. Even if he decides to return your money back, or repair it for you, you would most probably lose your shipping cost.

No customer service, warranties and quality control... WTF?

Genuine watchs like Rolex charges 10-20 times the amount of a replica watch. Some of that money goes into a customer service call centre, service centre, marketing, technicians dedicated to just servicing spoilt watches, quality control procesees etc. A rep workshop is probably just a dodgy makeshift workshop with a handful of guys working furiously to churn out as many watches as they can before the next raid.

Power of the people

So are you powerless against the dealers? No. They make a lucrative trade selling replica watches on forums like this and trive on good feedback which translates to sales like any other company. That is the whole purpose of this forum, for people to band together and share feedback on good and bad experiences. So we do not have to learn from our mistakes but from others as well. If someone sells you a **** watch and does not take responsibility for it, then talk about it! Buying a rep watch does not have to be a gamble or a hit and miss affair. If everyone gives reviews and feedback of the watches they buy then everyone can make more informed decisions. Rep dealers will also be more responsible for their wares.

Reasonable complaints

Sometimes it is clear what defines a reasonable complaint. Hands falling off, dead watches, etc. Other times it is a grey area. Respect the fact that what may be ok for someone like a slightly loose bezel, might be a deal breaker for someone else. It is important that people ***** about these small details so everyone can make more informed decisions in future. If we keep lecturing people about how they should not complain then we will create a culture where people are not open to share their thoughts. Of course, compaints should be objective and pictures, videos should be given to illustrate your point.

Wow, very informative. THanks for posting.

TeeTee

with excellent tc sup v7 extreme and other great watches out there my expectationa are still high :)

David(bcn)

Thanks for this post. Very useful information

Danny sargent

Good information than you.

GMTmasterypastery

Watch collecting is a hobby that people with OCD are drawn to unfortunately. Me I can forgive imperfections on something that doesn't claim to be genuine whilst being impressed with the things the makers actually got close enough. We should give these guys a break really. They work in hellish conditions to bring us stuff for a fraction of the price.

greg_r

Watch collecting is a hobby that people with OCD are drawn to unfortunately. Me I can forgive imperfections on something that doesn't claim to be genuine whilst being impressed with the things the makers actually got close enough. We should give these guys a break really. They work in hellish conditions to bring us stuff for a fraction of the price.

^^^ bingo

ekim1222

Useful and simple

toujo

Expectations of a Replica Watch

Great information for new members, thanks for the post.

mjbeat

Indeed it will never be perfect

monroemonroe

I think that this also varies based on the dealer. If it's a good dealer they will support and refund depending on the issue. I've had some issues with dealers in the past, they've sent me some return shipping forms and was sorted in no time.