Sign in to follow this  
Harriskitty

Will my perspective be tainted ?

Harriskitty

Ok so I've ordered a couple of cheapies just to dip my feet into the water of the rep world, and no doubt at some point I'm going to be spending some proper money. Now by my own admission I'm doing this to get a feel for the watches that I may want to spend more money on, but my worry is that because I am buying the cheapies will it taint my perspective of a rep watch. I know the more expensive reps are going to be of good quality and better movements etc etc, I've read enough threads and seen enough pictures. But what is the general difference in feel and weight between a cheapie and better quality rep ?

houndoggie

Better to ask if your taint will be prospected.

:paddy_beer:

houndoggie

But in all seriousness it really depends on the watch.

UmpaHimself

I mean there can be issues with any watch. But when you get a nice high quality rep, that is working 100% it really makes you feel as close as you could to gen with out being gen. Definitely worth it no question. Any watch that gets a lot of press on here is going to be a great watch. 111 V3, SFSO, V5 PO or brand new Ceramic PO, Sub C, GMT II C. There are many top notch reps out there and the difference is huge.

Harriskitty

http://silix-prime.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_233&products_id=2348

This is the watch I've ordered. I did want the pam 111 as everyone seems to rave about it but in the $100 ish price range I wasn't keen on any of the straps. So this is what I went for. I know it won't be perfect by any stretch of the imagination. However I'm just hoping it will feel decent and solid if you get what I mean.

1littlegreen

I mean there can be issues with any watch. But when you get a nice high quality rep, that is working 100% it really makes you feel as close as you could to gen with out being gen. Definitely worth it no question. Any watch that gets a lot of press on here is going to be a great watch. 111 V3, SFSO, V5 PO or brand new Ceramic PO, Sub C, GMT II C. There are many top notch reps out there and the difference is huge.

+1

Completely agree.

Luthier

Didn't you read 164 threads about wasting the money on cheapies?

jeffw69

Wtf is this about?

English version available?

seclark007

A lot of folks buy the cheepies at first to see if they will like the piece...I think that this is a phase that we all go through at the beginning of this hobby. As your trust for dealers changes and your view on the pieces available to you change, you start to see the benefit in dropping a bunch of dough on one particular piece. Once you get past that first expensive purchase, then the rest come WAAAAAAYYYYY to easy!

Good luck with your purchases in the future

s

Harriskitty

Yes I've done plenty of reading but I'm not going to go and spend $300 on a whim. Before coming on this site I didn't even know what a pam was, so I need to at least see how a watch like that might look on my wrist without spending lots of money. If I like it and the watch turns up to my door in good condition and works ( which im sure it will) then I will spend some more of my hard earned cash.

Loonie

If you are lucky, you will be so sadly disappointed with the quality of both the watch and strap you receive, that you decide not to bother spending your hard earned $ on the superior product, and end you foray into the rep scene now. It will save you lots in the long run.

There are a ton of really shitty cheapo pams out there, be careful guys :tea:

moredhel

Humans are geared towards perfection and the manufacturers knows it.

Hence number of dollars is inversely correlated to the number of flaws with diminishing returns.

The speed of perception change towards reps is a shocking. I would now drop 6 times the amount on a rep vs when I was in your position and pretty sure it would increase when experience and confidence equips me to start modding/upgrading my own.

It's scary than a rep can cost close to a mid range gen. The knowledge gained is priceless though.

Abagnale

yes, you will be disappointed and you will lose money. but maybe you're rich enough to buy the same things again and again...

cheers

Mark9117

You can assume that the straps you get with these watches (and many of the metal bracelets) are junk. If you get a good one, then count your lucky stars and move on.

The thing about these watches is that they are a gateway drug to the real trouble for your fiscal well being -- straps!

Edited by Mark9117

Luthier

OK, let me explain my point. You buy $35, or $70 or $100 watch, just to see, how you'll like it. First - you already like this model, otherwise you'll not buy it, right?

OK, you bought it, and realized (in best scenario), that you really like it, and want best possible replica of this particular model. You post cheapie in M2M, and, if you're lucky, you'll sell it, losing 30%-50% of the money you paid. Again - IF you are lucky. Then you'll spend way more money on the better one, and, if it's not out of production, and if you'll be able to get it for yesterday's price, and, if you'll find it with dial color you saw a month ago... you'll get it. So, you lost some money, you lost time, you lost some nervous cells, and, finally, you got your dream watch... that you could get without all these fucking problems a month or two ago, if you'd visit AD store, or just take a look of members feedbacks. Or, you really think, that $300 watch will be worse than $35 watch? Simple logic should be used.

JasperB

Very True. I wasted money on cheapies. Then I thought I know - Ill use the straps, but the straps were crap. Then I thought I'll practice on them - see if I can fix them, but no decent experience to be had because good reps have good movements - nothing to learn from crap movements. In short - waste of time and money.

Rolexwatchman

If you're scared of wasting money on rep I would recommend Invicta watches or Morgan Orbis

They are cheap, somewhat accurate (have owned only quartz from Invictas) and MO is really good build quality and comes with sapphire.

Or just buy Seiko divers, monsters etc.

If you're willing ro try, just pay 300-500USD 1 time, if you dislike... Perhaps sell it here ? You won't be loosing too much barely?

Operator#6

I think it depends on your expectations. I started with a $300+ ETA movement Sub C from a trusted dealer. I was blown away by it. My brother got in the act and bought a $150 piece from a trusted dealer. I got my hands on it, and thought it was great too. I was so impressed by it, I didn't see the value in the extra $200 dollars I spent. I have since bought numerous reps with 21 j movements, and honestly they are as good as I need.

I'd rather have 4 or 5 reps with 21j movements, than one OMG rep from the top notch trusted dealers. Good luck making your own decision.

BigBuys

I am the opposite, that is why I have been selling off the 21js, and more to go.

Luthier

I have since bought numerous reps with 21 j movements, and honestly they are as good as I need.

But 21j TICKs. Not sweep. And it's a BIG giveaway.

Besides, I'm sure, you won't compare ETA or even clone quality with 21j, right?

Dumspiro

Humans are geared towards perfection and the manufacturers knows it.

Hence number of dollars is inversely correlated to the number of flaws with diminishing returns.

The speed of perception change towards reps is a shocking. I would now drop 6 times the amount on a rep vs when I was in your position and pretty sure it would increase when experience and confidence equips me to start modding/upgrading my own.

It's scary than a rep can cost close to a mid range gen. The knowledge gained is priceless though.

+100.....from a Glamredhel

Operator#6

I have since bought numerous reps with 21 j movements, and honestly they are as good as I need.

But 21j TICKs. Not sweep. And it's a BIG giveaway.

Besides, I'm sure, you won't compare ETA or even clone quality with 21j, right?

You're right, the movement isn't as smooth as the ETA. But I guess it goes back to what I said previously. What are your expectations? What are you trying to accomplish? For me, I wear my watches out and and at work. My circle of friends are not rocking any high dollar watches, and wouldn't know the difference between a gen or a $150 rep. I've had ONE person comment on my Sub in 10 months. That's it. After telling me that owning a sub was one of his goals and basically shooting his wad on the thing, I told him it was a rep.

Now, if I am truly trying to pass the watch off as a gen in a group that knows their shit, I'm probably buying a TC or BK. But from what I've read here, even those have tells. IDK, maybe if you put one in my hand or on my wrist I would sing a different tune.

Harriskitty
I think it depends on your expectations. I started with a $300+ ETA movement Sub C from a trusted dealer. I was blown away by it. My brother got in the act and bought a $150 piece from a trusted dealer. I got my hands on it, and thought it was great too. I was so impressed by it, I didn't see the value in the extra $200 dollars I spent. I have since bought numerous reps with 21 j movements, and honestly they are as good as I need.

I'd rather have 4 or 5 reps with 21j movements, than one OMG rep from the top notch trusted dealers. Good luck making your own decision.

I guess the only way to find out is to wait for these cheapies to turn up then buy myself a 300-400 dollar rep. I'm like yourself, not looking to fool people just want something that feels and looks as close to the real thing as possible, purely because that's what I like about the designs of the genuine article. The feel and weight of them. If I have to sacrifice the movement to save a couple of hundred dollars providing the 21j seem solid enough then so be it.