Sign in to follow this  
Nnilswerdna

A lover of PAM's - But why so expensive?

Nnilswerdna

Good morning!

About 6 months ago I clocked my first PAM in a store in London, immediately I was confused as to what I should feel.

Is it a classic military style watch, worn by the rich and famous, or just a nice dress watch?

Don't get me wrong, I adore my PAM 111 NOOB, my fave in my collection but as far as the gen goes I don't see why it's so expensive. And it annoys me that Panerai have somewhat extorted the fact it's a bit of a "trend"

No flaming please!

I obviously didn't think this until a week ago when I saw this,

Is it me, or is that a lot of machine/computer work to be labelled as a fine watch rather than a mass produced? (I am well aware of the 2500 per year rule, something else that frustrates me about the management of the brand)

I paid just under £200 for my NOOB 111, and to think of people paying £5k+ for a gen, just baffles me. Am I the other one?

Anyway, this is my first post, and I look forward to future squabbles/arguments/discussions! ;O)

Andy

dalboy

Market place demand drives the price.....

Having said that some of the Reps are so bloody good why buy the Gen.....only a select few though..a couple of my personal favs are ..

029 and 253..

IMAG0498.jpgP1030701.jpg

Dal..

greg_r

Agreed completely. Having said that, the same applies to many other gen manufacturers - retail price does not really bear much relationship to actual manufacturing costs.

Nnilswerdna

I would love to know their profit margin per timepiece....

That said, they make a beautiful desirable watch.

I just think of what gen you could have for that money - £5 you are talking nice, in house movements on limited edition watches. Not my bag, but the Sky Fall PO is an example.

projectologist

Realize that Panerai does not sell the watch for that amount, the AD does (and the new Boutiques are individually owned as well). And Panerai sells that watch to the dealer less 40% of msrp. So out of that comes monies to pay for advertising, salaries/wages, health insurance, equipment cost and maintenance and building costs. And the less watches produced each year (especially when compared to Rolex's numbers) the more cost added to each piece to cover the overhead to produce it.

When you can spread the cost of manufacturing over a thousand times more watches like Citizen or Seiko produce, the msrp comes down dramatically.

Welcome to the world of luxury goods...

Edited by projectologist

Higs

Welcome to the world of luxury goods...

^ this.

Fabrication costs are a very small consideration in luxury goods.