Sign in to follow this  
brtisbuck

What brought you here, why reps, and why did you stay? (long)

brtisbuck

As I am sitting here reading through different various threads on all sorts of topics the questions in my title keep coming to mind. I myself have joined this forum for the second time. I would guess that a vast majority of members found this site based on their interest to purchase a replica luxury watch, not initially as a hobby. I realize there are a number of you who collected timepieces as a hobby as well. For me, I was looking to purchase a replica watch to replace a replica watch.

Sometime back in 2004 my wife (girlfriend at the time) gave me a rep Daytona with fake sub dials as a gift. I wore that watch every day for years. In fact, I still own it and it runs although the "ss" finish and numbers on the bezel have worn and it hangs up on 7 o'clock from time to time. In 2007 I set out on a quest to replace my replica daily wear watch, thus I found my way to RWG. I started reading and learning and looking at hundreds of watches. I learned about dealers, movements, history of certain brands and their respective reps. It became a small hobby for me, far from the extent that some members go. I purchased watches for myself and others as gifts from the TD's at the time (some of which are no longer here).

As I have many interests in my life that consume time and resources I faded out of the rep watch scene. Other than the addition of a Citizen Eco-Drive that was engraved and given to me as a gift, I wear the same watches today as I did then. It's again time to update my daily rotation and I find myself back here. Why? For me I am attracted to the style and design of many of these watches as compared to everyday brands. That's not to say I dislike my gifted Eco Drive in it's own right. I notice the watches that others wear and I'm sure others notice mine, however only once has someone commented on one of my watches.

For me, I am here to make informed purchases for watches that will get used well and to reacquaint and update myself in the rep watch world. While I like to have several watches to rotate, I don't consider myself a collector. I also tend to stay with lower end reps due to how they get used.

Gens are beautiful and mechanical masterpieces. While I can fund the purchase of some of them, I would rather spend the money on some of the other hobbies and interests in my life. I do own a few Rolex replicas and wear them on a limited basis. but I tend to choose watches that don't garner quite the brand recognition. There is something almost cliche'd about the brand and their knock-offs.

I've answered the 3 questions, how about you...

jeffw69

tl;dr