Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

LightGeek's Rolex GMT IIc Showdown - MAR 4 2013

LeandroBR

Great write up light ! Well done !

LightGeek
This is really great write up although I can't help feeling as though it's rather dangerous. Surely if one is looking in this much detail at a rep .V. gen then one is only going to end up being disapointed. I received a BK GMT II C in the post a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by it but I study these pics am I not risking finding my rep wanting, rather than comparing loosely and being very happy? Just a thought. The right up though, as said before, is excellent. Thanks.

This wasn't really designed to be a "why the rep sucks" comparison, the gen just happened to be available. If you haven't played with the gen, you'll be just fine.

highergame

Lightgeek... I always enjoy your post when you spend the money and time comparing different watches. God knows I'm not buying that many to see the difference in the watches so it's always good just to look at the differences from your post.

Monffo
This is really great write up although I can't help feeling as though it's rather dangerous. Surely if one is looking in this much detail at a rep .V. gen then one is only going to end up being disapointed. I received a BK GMT II C in the post a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by it but I study these pics am I not risking finding my rep wanting, rather than comparing loosely and being very happy? Just a thought. The right up though, as said before, is excellent. Thanks.

This wasn't really designed to be a "why the rep sucks" comparison, the gen just happened to be available. If you haven't played with the gen, you'll be just fine.

Oh how I'd love to handle the gen for a while though :-)

Bash64

Great job, LG!

TT88

Nice write up mate. Appreciate the efforts. Thank you!

taukappaepsilon

Very informative! Thank you for taking the time to put this together!

jeffrx

This was very well done. Thanks for the effort.

Janizary

Too bad you have a tough dad.

LightGeek
Too bad you have a tough dad.

Well not that bad. He's alluded to gifting me a gen this year. The problem is I'm really liking the GV Milgauss :)

shpr543

I was actually looking at it shocked at how close the reps came to the gen...I'm amazed at the amount of detail involved in a $170 watch vs. a $5000 watch. I already sent my email to Rochest about the ceramic Sub with the Asian ETA...can't wait to get it!!

cadillacman

BRAVO!!!!!! Just goes to show you that the reps are great value.Gen cost vs Rep cost.

Janizary

Seems like the WI is the best for its money. The BK is not as accurate as I would liked it to be.

LightGeek
Seems like the WI is the best for its money. The BK is not as accurate as I would liked it to be.

Visually, the BK kicks ass with the date wheel. Technically, there are several incremental improvements. The WI gets you 80% there if you manage to score 100% on the QC. BK takes you to 90%. Whether it's worth it depends on your budget.

Dssd

Excellent

Very helpful

I have a gen bezel and insert to put on one of these

Shame you didn't have the bp version to see the difference then

Thanks

Paul

LightGeek
Excellent

Very helpful

I have a gen bezel and insert to put on one of these

Shame you didn't have the bp version to see the difference then

Thanks

Paul

The WBK bought one is BP I believe. Not sure.

sequel7

LG excellent post buddy... Well done...

I heard that due to the GMT complications, the high-beat movements like the A2824/2836 is not as good as compared to the cheaper Asian 21J. Any comments on this?

flyr

It's not 2824/2836 beat rate that's the problem, It's because they are modified with additional gears for GMT where the 21j was built for it.

sequel7

It's not 2824/2836 beat rate that's the problem, It's because they are modified with additional gears for GMT where the 21j was built for it.

Sorry... I didn't mean to imply the high beat rate was the problem but rather the whole movement because of the modification like what was mentioned above. Anyone with a GMT II on the 2824/2836 care to share any experience?

Bm69

Good review and nice watches.

Odyseus

Very nice LightGeek!! I still think, if you can pull off a sucessfull date overlay swap you can do everything else?!! - Have you had a go a re-luming yet??

Pat Bateman

Thanks for the comparison, really appreciate it.

dly02

what a review! thanks

LightGeek
Very nice LightGeek!! I still think, if you can pull off a sucessfull date overlay swap you can do everything else?!! - Have you had a go a re-luming yet??

Hmmm I missed this comment. So now that I've swapped two and realigned one date wheel... :)

Watch008

This is awesome! Very good information. Glad I found this before I purchased the GMT II