Sign in to follow this  
mjcecil

Trusty Time Pro-Hunter DSSD

mjcecil

Just got my Pro-Hunter DSSD from Andrew, and I'm very, very pleased. The build quality is very high. WAY higher than expected. And, it came in under 14 total days.

This is my first experience with a high-grade replica. I've had a NYC street-vendor $35 Yacht-Master for some time that is pretty to look at, but is exactly what you'd expect... Low grade everything: Hollow center links; Hollow end links; Lousy printing; Lousy hands; NO lume; A date wheel that only advances by hand; A bezel that is a 60-click number that WILL NOT align on any mark on the watch; A movement that is apparently a clone of a clone of a cheap movement, running at 21,600 BPH; and finally, a display back (Yeah, I know... No such thing on a Rollie) that popped out of its surround pretty much the moment I put it on. (I knew this was what I'd get, and I bought it as a goof. Turns out, this means I'll get to take apart this movement for fun now...)

Because of this impression of an asian "fake," I was flat bown away when I took this watch out of its wrappers and hefted it! It feels like a "real watch." This being a DSSD, it weighs an awful lot at just under 8 ounces, so the mass alone took me aback. Everything about it feels good. From the solid bracelet with the VERY smoothly operating Glidelock clasp to the sharply detailed face and bezel. While the bezel does not move with that distinct "silky" feel of its Gen inspiration, it is a very positive and smooth turn, with 120 clicks that land the indicators perfectly in line with the chapter ring markings.

The lume is good, too. Not GREAT. But, good. Good enough to read for a while after dark.

The only reservation I have is that I believe the movement is a clone 2836-2, and not the genuine article. Frankly, after months of reading this forum, I'm just not surprised. I'm including a shot of what should be a Novodiac/Etachoc balance shock assembly, which is the most telling part of the movement.

So, here's some shots I made. Please forgive the fingerprints. Like everything else I own, watches WORK when I have them. They rarely sit around being clean ;-)

The triple watch shots are, from right to left: Trusty Time ProHunter DSSD (purportedly an ETA 2836-2 28800bph), Deep Blue Daynight Recon Diver T-100 with tritium tubes (Genuine ETA 2824-2 28800bph), and a Swatch Irony Body and Soul (Genuine ETA 2842, 21600bph)...

The face

ROLSD009A_face.jpg

Some are curious about the etched crown...

ROLSD009A_etched.jpg

Three ETA watches:

ROLSD009A_and_friends.jpg

And their lume:

ROLSD009A_and_friends_Lume.jpg

Now, the Novodiac that is the clone giveaway, noting the single cutout for the spring. (Heavily altered to make edges sharp in the Novodiac.)

ROLSD009A_novodiac.jpg

Hope y'all enjoy...

Best,

Mark

Carl_Spackler

Nice review Mark, and great pics. I've ordered from Andrew 5 or 6 times and have always had great results too.

Enjoy the new one!