Sign in to follow this  
lildaddym

Changing movements...

lildaddym

How difficult is that? I want to change from the quartz movements I have to a 7750-esque for the two B & R's I have...

sconehead

Should imagine the hands will be different sizes, the dial posts and will the pushers/crown be in the right position, that's if the case will accept the movement at all...

trailboss99

Not to mention the subdials may not be in the same place depending on the watch.

Changing from a quartz to mechanical MVT is rarely if ever worth it. Chances are that the case/dial on your quartz are no where as good as

the ones that comes with the auto.

Col.

JoeyB

The Jules Borel site(click here) has a chart that tells the dimensions with pictures of popular movements, including mounting points, & hand size. Just click on 'movements' and what type of movement you want, like 'mechanical. You can then compare movements to see if there is any chance of a fit.

lildaddym

Ok...what about removing the old one? I know the screw in the back does something, but how do you get the stem and crown off?

sconehead

If you look down from where the stem is, to the left or right of it there should be a tiny button or indent. Apply light pressure while pulling the stem and it should pop out.

Have you got the cal no. of the movement or a pic even, maybe we'll be able to pinpoint it's exact location for you...:)

Fiddo
How difficult is that? I want to change from the quartz movements I have to a 7750-esque for the two B & R's I have...

It would probably be more cost effective and definitely less frustrating :) to simply purchase a version of the watch you have with a 7750 movement already installed. That's what I would do!

KBH

I would strongly suggest that if you don't know how to take out the old movement, you will never successfully install a different one. it's hard enough replacing one with a new one that is the same.

No offense meant my friend.

graman

Mate...as the guys have said - Changing over a movement is not an easy task for the uninitiated....

You'd be better off just buying a chrono for the heartache this will give you.

I'd suggest that you play with some simpler movements first before you take on a 7750.

There are some good tutorials here, and at RWGjr on how to do change over a movement.

If you feel you "have" to do this, then I'd suggest you tool up and study, but you'll likely find that the dial and movement are not compatible.

Good luck.

lildaddym

@KBH No offense taken, friend!!

I did get it off...the trick on this movement is to loosen the crown, push it in, then press on the release in the back. It was never explained that way to me... Now, the thing won't run! I'll replace the battery (which is what the reason for all of this was, anyway) and see if that helps...

lildaddym

I got it apart...can anyone identify the movement from the photo? I think the upper left side, first word is 'Renata'.

I also have a shot of the case...maybe someone can help with what other movement might fit!

01-94%20disassembled%201.jpg

01-94%20disassembled%202.jpg

cybee

Renata is the name of the battery. It looks like it is a Ronda movement, a good quartz movement. Batteries are very cheap. If that was the main problem just replace it and keep it for what it is, a quartz watch.

If you want to continue playing with just take the 2 upper screws and lower right screw out which hold the cover on.

Good Luck LoL.

lildaddym

Thanks for the pointer, Cybee...replaced the battery, no joy. What to do now? What if I take off that cover?

lildaddym

Just so you guys know, this is indeed a Ronda movement, the 5030D, to be precise. Now, to get it fixed, or get another. If it's not working with a new battery, where do I look?

KBH

Don't know where to buy a new movement, but here's lots of information on it.

Ronda.cn

Fiddo
Just so you guys know, this is indeed a Ronda movement, the 5030D, to be precise. Now, to get it fixed, or get another. If it's not working with a new battery, where do I look?

Otto-Frei sells the 5030D for $59.50.

Link--------- http://www.ofrei.com/page_197.html